A POWER FUEL Green Smoothie to kick start the day . This green smoothie is powered by real food. Jammed packed with super food nutrients that work in synergy to BOOST energy!. Easy (easier) to digest. Paleo, vegan, and whole 30 friendly Find out more about how these superfoods work in synergy below!
As I sit here writing this post. A post about needing ALL the fuel and green smoothies, it’s currently white outside. Meaning, a white out. Snow. 30F. Which is why sharing a green smoothie recipe seems wrong (because it’s cold) but oh so right (a much needed immunity boost).
Winter months can be draining, our bodies need extra fuel and nutrients to brave the cold. And sometimes, okay a lot of times, we find it hard to jam pack 4 bajillion different kinds of fruits, veggies, healing herbs, and anti-inflammatory spices into one day. At least I do. Sheesh, my poor gut can only can handle so much fiber, especially after colon surgery. That’s a story for another day, or maybe not a story to share at all. Haha! You get my point.
But the truth is we ALL need power nutrients to “fuel” our diet. Whether is be for gut healing, for energy, for combatting sickness, for post workout recovery, or for just for overall wellness.
Power Fuel Green Smoothie to the rescue. Yep. Jammed packed with power nutrients. Super greens. Easy (easier) to digest. Paleo, vegan, and healthy on steroids.
I know what you must be thinking. Don’t I always? Yes, yes I do. You’re thinking… “Crazy Cotter, this is just another Green Smoothie recipe.” Sure, it is a green smoothie recipe but POWER comes from the way these fruits and veggies work together. Shall I explain? Always…
Nutrition nerd cap goes on.
Okay, so you see,
This Power Fuel Green Smoothie Recipe is made of up green apples, lemon, coconut oil, steamed spinach (slightly steamed), mint, and orange juice.
Here’s how they work together to create SNERGY POWER FUEL!!
- When you combine Vitamin C rich foods (Orange Juice, Lemon, Apple) with plant based Iron (spinach), you get better Iron absorption.
- Adding the powerful antioxidant Quercetin (which is in apples) to your diet can help Quercetin can help stop inflammation. This anti-oxidant so powerful it can also help reduce chronic fatigue. (source). Why I love my Quercetin Packed Smoothies!
- Mint Leaves – Soothing herb to help ease digestion but also open up airways for better respiration. Mint contains menthol, a natural aromatic decongestant that helps to break up phlegm. I just said phlegm in a recipe. Ooops! Haha, either way, get those lungs ready to POWER up!
- When you slightly steam your spinach leaves you are able to digest your food better, without discomfort. Ya, you know how raw spinach can be. EEK!
- And lastly, adding in a healthy saturated fat, such as coconut oil, can not only increase your iron absorption when paired with Iron rich foods, but it can also naturally BOOST energy, and quick! You see, coconut oil contains Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), these are medium Chain Fatty acids. MCT’s are metabolized quicker. They are first absorbed into the blood stream but then bypass digestion process and go straight to liver, which then turns them into ENERGY. Unlike other Long Chain Fatty Acids. Quick POWER FUEL green smoothie energy! Gotta love that type of fat, yes? AMEN AMEN!
Are you still with me? LOL! I hope so. That was a lot for a Monday. But you see, I just had to explain my reasoning behind this green smoothie. It’s unique. It’s powerful. It’s why I love doing what i do. Taking real food and using it as FUEL, oh but fuel that tastes, well…. TASTY!
This power fuel green smoothie is on our weekly rotation. Especially now that we have moved to Utah.
The kiwi and I made a goal we’d try new outdoor adventures together. Um, like snow shoeing and cross country skiing. So I’m gonna need all the fuel I can get. Like stat! Haha!Print
POWER FUEL Green Smoothie. The perfect green smoothie that’s powered by real food. Whole 30 friendly, Paleo, Vegan.
- 1/4 c to 1/3 cup packed spinach leaves
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 green apple (core removed)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2–3 mint leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Optional Ice (handful)
- optional sweetener (see notes.) omit if Whole30.
- First place your spinach leaves in microwave safe bowl. Add the coconut oil. Mix together. Steam in microwave for just 15-20 seconds. You can do this on the stove as well. Just make sure the spinach is slightly steamed and mixed with oil.
- Next place the remainder of your ingredients (apples, juice, mint, etc.) in a blender. Add your coconut oil and spinach.
- Blend until Smooth.
- Feel free to add more juice or water to thin it out or a handful of ice to thicken it.
- If you want it sweeter, add 1 small banana or maple syrup.
Optional Sweeteners – 1 tbsp or more maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar, a few pitted dates, or even a banana.
Cheers to lean mean green power fuel machines! I mean smoothies.
What do you put in your winter smoothie? Green Smoothie? All of the above? I gotta know. I’m nosy like that.