POWER Green Smoothies to kick start the day. This green smoothie is powered by real food. Jammed packed with superfood nutrients that work in synergy to BOOST energy! These smoothies are paleo, vegan, and whole 30 friendly. Find out more about how each one of these superfoods work in synergy below!
As I sit here writing this post, it’s currently white outside. Meaning, white as in snow. Talking about green smoothies seems wrong, because it’s below freezing outside. But at the same time, it feels bright and shiny and oh so right! Because, let’s face it, we all need a nutritional reboot.
Winter months can be draining, our bodies need dense nutrients and fuel to brave the cold and avoid whatever sickness is being passed along the office. And sometimes, okay a lot of times, it’s just plain hard to jam in 4 bajillion different kinds of fruits, veggies, healing herbs, and anti-inflammatory spices into one day. At least it is for me. Sheesh, my poor gut can only can handle so much fiber, especially after colon surgery. That’s a story for another day, or maybe not a story to share at all. Haha! You get my point.
Why Drink Power Green Smoothies?
So yes, we ALL need power nutrients to “fuel” our diet, to boost our immune system, etc. Whether it be for gut healing, for energy, for combatting sickness, for post workout recovery, or for just for overall wellness.
Green Smoothies to the rescue! Yep. These smoothies are jammed packed with power nutrients and super greens. Plus, there’s a special green smoothie ingredient to help ease digestion. Which is why I define these smoothies as healthy on steroids.
I know what you must be thinking. Don’t I always? Yes, yes I do. You’re thinking… “Crazy Cotter, these are just green smoothies with spinach. What’s so special about this one in particular?”
Shall I explain? Always…
Nutrition nerd cap goes on.
What’s in a POWER Green Smoothie?
Let’s talk KEY Ingredients.
The POWER in this green smoothies title refers to the way these fruits and veggies work together. Powerful combo!
This Power Fuel Green Smoothie Recipe is made of up green apples, lemon, coconut oil, steamed spinach (slightly steamed), mint, and orange juice.
Here’s how they work together to create SYNERGY!!
- When you combine Vitamin C rich foods (Orange Juice, Lemon, Apple) with plant based Iron (spinach), you get better Iron absorption.
- Adding the powerful antioxidant Quercetin (which is in apples) to your diet can help Quercetin can help stop inflammation. This antioxidant so powerful it can also help reduce chronic fatigue. (source). Why I love my Quercetin Packed Smoothies!
- Mint Leaves – Soothing herb to help ease digestion but also open up airways for better respiration. Mint contains menthol, a natural aromatic decongestant that helps to break up phlegm. I just said phlegm in a recipe. Ooops! Haha, either way, get those lungs ready to POWER up!
- Lightly steaming spinach leaves before blending or consuming can ease digestion. Ya, you know how raw spinach can be. EEK!
- And lastly, adding in a healthy saturated fat, such as unrefined coconut oil, can not only increase your iron absorption when paired with iron rich foods, but it can also naturally BOOST energy, and quick! You see, coconut oil contains Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), these are medium Chain Fatty acids. MCT’s are metabolized quicker. They are first absorbed into the bloodstream but then bypass digestion process and go straight to liver, which then turns them into ENERGY. Unlike other Long Chain Fatty Acids. Quick POWER FUEL green smoothie energy! Note – I have other healthy fat options in the recipe. 😉
Are you still with me? LOL! I hope so. That was a lot for the second day of January. But you see, I just had to explain my reasoning behind this green smoothie. It’s unique. It’s powerful. It’s why I love doing what i do. Taking real food and using it as FUEL, oh but fuel that tastes, well…. TASTY!
This power fuel green smoothie is on our weekly rotation. I made a goal try get outside everyday, um, even in the thick of snow! You bet I’m gonna need all the fuel I can get. 🙂Print
POWER FUEL Green Smoothie. The perfect green smoothie that’s powered by real food. Whole 30 friendly, Paleo, Vegan.
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup packed spinach leaves
- 1/2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil (melted) – may be substituted for other healthy fats, (i.e avocado, almond butter, or tahini) if desired.
- 1 green apple (core removed)
- 8– 10 ounces fresh orange juice
- 2–3 mint leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Optional Ice (handful)
- Optional natural sweetener – 3-4 pitted dates, banana, or maple syrup/honey.
- First place your spinach leaves in microwave safe bowl. Add the coconut oil. Mix together. Steam in microwave for just 15-20 seconds. You can do this on the stove as well. Just make sure the spinach is slightly steamed and mixed with oil.
- Next place the remainder of your ingredients (apples, juice, mint, etc.) in a blender. Add your coconut oil and spinach.
- Blend until Smooth.
- Feel free to add more juice or water to thin it out or a handful of ice to thicken it.
- If you want it sweeter, add 1 small banana or maple syrup.
Optional Sweeteners – 1 tbsp or more maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar, a few pitted dates, or even a banana.
This can be made into 2 smaller drinks if desired.
- Category: drink
- Method: blend
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: green smoothie, drink, vegan, whole 30, paleo, smoothie, healthy, breakfast
Cheers to lean mean green power fuel machines! I mean smoothies.
What do you put in your winter smoothie? Green Smoothie? All of the above? I gotta know. I’m nosy like that.
MORE IMMUNITY BOOSTING RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our 10 Best Immunity Boosting Recipes collection. Check it out!