This Creamy Coconut Spirulina Superfood Smoothie recipe is an easy way to boost Energy and Protein intake with real food. No protein powder needed. A “balanced” creamy Superfood smoothie with coconut milk, spirulina, fruit, avocado, ginger root, and a pinch antioxidant rich spices! Paleo and Vegan friendly for all!
I was SO close to calling this spirulina superfood smoothie “mermaid smoothie,” but I thought I’d spare you the look on people’s face when you told them what you (and I) was drinking. LOL! Still, kinda fun, right? Ohhh and ahhh over that green swirl ya’ll!
Okay but really, I do have a real name for these Spirulina Superfood smoothies and all the SUPERFOOD talk! Remember how we are having Junk Free June and SuperFood Drink Week? YA WE ARE! It’s been fun! Well, at least for me. And I’m diggin all the healing lemony vibes.
So yes, this week has been healthy on steroids recipes but I kinda think we need those weeks, right?
That being said, let’s chat about spirulina guys! Did you know that my husband actually works (a side job) for Nutrex Hawaii? A bunch of his triathlete friends do as well because they love it so much! And so do I! No I’m not getting paid to say that either. Just hugs and kisses from the kiwi (aka my husband). Haha!
Anyway, Nutrex has some pretty amazing Spirulina supplements! Spirulina superfood powder, tablets, and even a protein blend. We use them daily and I thought it was time to share just how we use Spirulina into our diets. Hence this Spirulina Superfood smoothie! Go Green or Go home, right? Ha!
So what exactly is Spirulina and why is it a mega superfood? Well, let me get nerdy for a sec.
Spirulina is a spiral-shaped microalgae that grows naturally in the wild in warm, fresh water lakes. Its deep blue-green color is what gives the water its greenish hue. Spirulina is also cultivated and harvested in man-made reservoirs like those used by Nutrex Hawaii, on the Kona coast of Hawaii (Source).
Side note –> I used to live right by the Spirulina Plant when we lived in Hawaii. It was crazy how they made it, but so cool! Oh I digress. Back to Spirulina. The most NUTRIENT DENSE superfood in the world YA’LL!!
Now here’s the cool part! Cooler part. This blue-green algae freshwater plant is loaded with plant based protein too! 55 to 70% protein than beef, chicken, and soybeans! Plus it has the 8 essential and 10 non-essential amino acids your body needs. It’s also packed with b vitamins, iron, and minerals! Which makes it a great resource/Superfood ingredient for plant based diets and vegans! No protein powder is needed. Although you’re welcome to blend some in for an extra power protein boost!
Other superfoods ingredients in thus mega green mega superfood smoothie are below.
- Avocado – to make extra creamy and add healthy fats.
- Coconut milk or cream – Both contain MCT fatty acids, which is great for instant energy
- Orange – Vitamin C
- Ginger root – Anti-inflammatory and aids in digestion
- Cinnamon and Cardamon – Spices that both assisting in soothing digestion. (source)
- Maple syrup – Natural sweetener and immunity boosting properties. WHOA YEA!
Then of course the green goddess of the sea! Spirulina! Dang, I really should have named it mermaid smoothie! Haha
Y’all this is the perfect summer smoothie to keep you healthy, hydrated, and nourished!!
P.S You can totally add in gluten free granola, chia seed, and extra coconut for a smoothie bowl or more starch fruit to boost texture!
P.P.S if you don’t have Spirulina, that’s cool, you can add in another Superfood powder! Or just try these amazing Healthy Summer Smoothies from my fellow HEALTHY foodie friends!
From Top to Bottom and left to right… here we GO with more smoothie lovin!
And of course, my superfood smoothie! You know this! Check out those swirls!
Okay, so who’s ready to get their green machine spirulina superfood smoothie making on?Print
This superfood smoothie is an easy way to boost Energy and Protein intake with real food. No protein powder needed. A “balanced” creamy Superfood smoothie with coconut milk, spirulina, fruit, avocado, ginger root, and a pinch antioxidant rich spices! Paleo and Vegan friendly
- 1 small Avocado
- 1 small orange
- 1–2 strips fresh ginger root, or 1 tbsp grated.
- 12 to 15 oz almond or coconut milk (the less you use, the thicker it is)
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup (adjust to sweetness desired)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of cardamon spice
- 1 scoop spirulina powder (around 7– 10 grams)
- Optional protein powder. See notes
- Optional chia seed or topping of choice.
- Peel your avocado and remove core. Peel orange. Place in a blender, add the grated ginger, milk, maple syrup, spices, and the spirulina last. Blend until smooth and pour into two glasses.
- Add a pinch of spirulina on top and a dash of coconut milk then place a fork in the middle of the cup to “swirl” together if you want that effect.
- Optional – For thicker smoothies add in 1 tbsp chia seed or 1 scoop protein powder. For creamier smoothies, add 2 tbsp chilled coconut milk (thick portion).
- If you are looking for a protein/spirulina combo, we use Nutrex.
- Category: drinks
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: superfoods, superfood smoothies, spirulina, healthy drinks
Have you ever tried Spirulina in a smoothie or any recipe?
Lastly, be honest. What do you think of the name Mermaid smoothie?