Creamy and naturally sweetened dairy free Key Lime Pie Smoothie! Low carb and vegan friendly options. A smoothie that tastes like dessert! This healthy smoothie is packed with “Key” nutrients for your digestion! Great for breakfast, snacking, or anytime of day.
Hi there. Did you have a good holiday weekend? Did you stay up way too late like we did? I’m assuming yes. For us, half of that reason was because of our dog.
You know, fireworks till 2 AM and a hyper active freaked out dog really don’t go hand-in-hand. After 10 years of this behavior, we’re used to it. Hence why we are a wee bit tired today. That being said, we’re gonna need start Monday off on the right foot. A foot that will energize us through the week and restore our body at the same time. Totally doable!
How about a little energizing smoothie? Actually, this smoothie is more than just energizing. I make this type of smoothie a lot when we get back from traveling or when we’ve had too much inflammation in the body (aka stress, sickness, over training, etc). Consider this an energy boosting smoothie with a little digestive reboot as well. But with a delicious taste!
My first version of this “good gut” smoothie contained banana, sprouted brown rice protein, maple syrup, cinnamon, steamed spinach, ginger root, omega oil. My friend Mel (a brilliant doctor to be and gut health Registered Dietitian) shared this recipe with me a few years ago. It’s great for nourishing the digestive system and gut lining. In fact, this first recipe was adapted from the Inside Tract Gut Health Book, another great read for those interested in digestive health.
Ingredients for Key Lime Pie Smoothie!
- frozen banana – potassium and starch to help feed good gut bacteria
- coconut oil – good fats, particularly MCT, this type of fat will bypass liver during digestion and go straight to the blood stream –> hence the quick energy!
- avocado – great source of monounsaturated fat, plus did you know that avocados contain an enzyme that aid in gut healing?
- Spinach or Kale – Great source of vitamin K and Plant based iron.
- Key Lime Juice – rich in Vitamin C. Citrus fruit rich in vitamin C can help with iron absorption when combined with plant based non heme iron (like spinach). Remember how I talked about power food pairings here?
- dash of sea salt – minerals.
- Cinnamon – anti-inflammatory properties
- maple syrup– natural sweetener that better for blood sugar regular.
Should you steam SPINACH or Kale before adding it to SMOOTHIES?
My opinion? Yes! Just lightly steam/wilt the spinach (or whatever green your using) before adding it to the smoothie. Steaming or cooking deactivates the oxalic acid content in these types of leafy greens, which makes them more nutritious. WHY? Because Oxalic acid binds with the calcium in our food making it unavailable for digestion.
That all sounds nourishing and refreshing, doesn’t it?! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the taste too! It’s like your taste buds and your body are all doing singing praises of health and happiness! Heck, you can even make your own Paleo No Bake Key Lime Pies by Texanerin to go along with it!
Double the KEY LIME = AMAZING! Just sayin..Print
Key Lime Pie Smoothie. Paleo, Vegan, and low carb options.
- 14 ounces unsweetened dairy free milk (coconut milk or almond milk work best)
- 1/2 c to 1 cup ice
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 2 tbsp of juice from key limes (sliced lime for topping)
- maple syrup, to taste
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 serving Vanilla protein – vegan protein or collagen protein powder
- Mint leaves
- optional extra GREENS – 1/4 cup steamed spinach
- Blend ingredients in blender or with hand blender until creamy. Pour into 2 glasses or keep for later.
- Serve with fresh mint and lime on top.
- Nutrition tip – If you are adding spinach, I recommend steaming them slightly for easier digestion. Spinach is optional but boost iron intake
To reduce sugar and carbs, omit maple syrup and banana. Replace with sugar substitute of choice.
- Category: drink
- Method: blend
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: smoothie, paleo smoothie, vegan smoothie, healthy smoothie, dairy free, key lime pie.
This smoothie usually makes one large container full or 2 small to medium glasses. Sometimes it’s nice to make a big smoothie and save some for mid morning or afternoon.
What’s your favorite reboot smoothie smoothie?