This keto green smoothie is creamy, with the citrus flavor of key lime pie! Make this low carb, dairy free smoothie recipe for dessert, snack, or a breakfast shake. It’s nutrient-rich for your digestion. Vegan recipe option.
Hi there new month! After weeks of staying in, we’re in need of fresh air, sunshine, and mental energy. What better way than nourishing green smoothie. Right? Let’s face it, we need start this month off on the right foot. A foot that will fuel us through the month and restore our body at the same time. Yes, it’s totally doable!
Just letting you know this green smoothie recipe originally published a few years ago, but we’ve recently re-tested it with a keto option and love it! Now we’re sharing it with you today,
Key lime keto green smoothie
How about a little energizing smoothie? Actually, this keto green smoothie is more than just energizing. Have I said energizing enough? LOL
I make this type of smoothie a lot when we get back from traveling or when we’ve had too much inflammation in the body (aka stress, sickness, over training, emotional/mental fatigue, etc). Consider this an energy boosting smoothie with a little digestive reboot as well. But with a delicious taste!
My first version of this “good gut” smoothie contained banana, sprouted brown rice protein, maple syrup, cinnamon, steamed spinach, ginger root, and omega oil.
My friend Mel (a brilliant doctor and gut health Registered Dietitian) shared this keto avocado smoothie recipe with me a few years ago.
It’s great for nourishing the digestive system and gut lining. In fact, this first recipe was adapted from the Inside Tract Gut Health Book, another great read for those interested in digestive health.
Ingredients for this dairy free smoothie recipe:
- avocado – great source of monounsaturated fat, plus did you know that avocados contain an enzyme that aid in gut healing?
- Spinach or Kale – Great source of vitamin K and Plant based iron.
- Key Lime Juice – rich in Vitamin C. Citrus fruit rich in vitamin C can help with iron absorption when combined with plant based non heme iron (like spinach). Remember how I talked about power food pairings here?
- dash of sea salt – minerals.
- cinnamon – anti-inflammatory properties
- frozen banana – potassium and starch to help feed good gut bacteria. Low carb option, swap in recipe!
- maple syrup (optional) – natural sweetener is better for blood sugar regular. If you’re looking for sugar free option than feel free to use a monk fruit syrup or omit all together.
Nutrition and Recipe Tips
Should you steam spinach or kale before adding it to smoothies?
My opinion? Yes! Just lightly steam/wilt the spinach (or whatever green your using) before adding it to the smoothie. It doesn’t take long to do on the stove top, but if you’re in a rush, you can even microwave it.
Steaming or cooking deactivates the oxalic acid content in these types of leafy greens, which makes them more nutritious. WHY? Because Oxalic acid binds with the calcium in our food making it unavailable for digestion.
This being said, adding spinach to your lime smoothie is optional. But I recommend it because it packs a punch of iron into the drink, which many women lack in their diet.
- VEGAN RECIPE OPTION:
With the ingredients shown below, this is a dairy free smoothie recipe. To be sure that it’s also vegan, you should double check the ingredients on your protein powder of choice.
- TO REDUCE THE SUGAR / CARBS
Although there is just one half of a banana in the entire batch (2 servings), some people on a keto diet prefer not to eat bananas at all.
If this is the case for you, just omit the frozen banana and add a little extra ice instead or 1/4 c chilled canned coconut cream/milk. As a result, it will be creamy and thick without the extra carbs.
Also, as a substitute for the maple syrup, you can use sugar-free syrup or an artificial sweetener of your choice.
WANT MORE LIME DESSERTS?
That all sounds nourishing and refreshing, doesn’t it?! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the taste too!
It’s like your taste buds and your body are all doing singing praises of health and happiness! Heck, you can even make your own Paleo No Bake Key Lime Pies by Texanerin to go along with it!
Double the KEY LIME = AMAZING! Just sayin..
Or, make a chaser of Sparkling Mint Melon Limeade. It’s another super refreshing summer drink!Print
This keto green smoothie is creamy, with the citrus flavor of key lime pie! Make this dairy free smoothie recipe for dessert, snack, or a breakfast shake. Packed with nutrients for good gut health!
- 14 ounces unsweetened dairy free milk (coconut milk or almond milk work best)
- 1/2 to 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 small ripe avocado (around 125 g)
- 1/2 frozen small banana (see notes for Keto option)
- 2 tbsp of juice from key limes (sliced lime for topping)
- maple syrup, to taste
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder (or vegan protein or collagen protein powder)
- Mint leaves
- optional extra GREENS – 1/4 cup steamed spinach
- Blend ingredients in blender or with hand blender until creamy. Pour into 2 glasses or keep for later.
- Serve with fresh mint and lime on top.
- If you are adding spinach, I recommend steaming it slightly for easier digestion. Spinach is optional but boosts iron intake.
- To reduce sugar and carbs, omit maple syrup and banana. Or replace with sugar substitute of choice and 1/4 c chilled canned coconut cream/milk.
- Category: drink
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 8 oz. with banana
Keywords: keto green smoothie, keto avocado smoothie, lime smoothie, dairy free smoothie recipe, vegan, gluten free, paleo
This dairy free smoothie recipe usually makes one large container full, or 2 small to medium sized glasses. Sometimes it’s nice to make a big smoothie and save some for mid morning or afternoon.
What’s your favorite reboot smoothie smoothie? What are (in life) needs extra energy and nourishment right now? All answers welcome. <3