Creamy and naturally sweetened Paleo Key Lime Smoothie! Gluten free and dairy free but still tastes like a decadent dessert! A Healthy Smoothie packed with “Key” nutrients for your digestion! Great for breakfast, snacking, or anytime of day.
Hi there. Did you have a good holiday weekend? Did you stay up way too late like we did? I’m assuming yes. For us, half of that reason was because of our dog.
You know, fireworks till 2 AM and a hyper active freaked out dog really don’t go hand-in-hand. After 10 years of this behavior, we’re used to it. Hence why we are a wee bit tired today. That being said, we’re gonna need start Monday off on the right foot. A foot that will energize us through the week and restore our body at the same time. Totally do-able!
How about a little energizing smoothie? Actually, this smoothie is more than just energizing. I make this type of smoothie a lot when we get back from traveling or when we’ve had too much inflammation in the body (aka stress, sickness, over training, etc). Consider this an energy boosting smoothie with a little digestive reboot as well. But with a delicious taste!
My first version of this “good gut” smoothie contained banana, sprouted brown rice protein, maple syrup, cinnamon, steamed spinach, ginger root, omega oil. My friend Mel (a brilliant doctor to be and gut health Registered Dietitian) shared this recipe with me a few years ago. It’s great for nourishing the digestive system and gut lining. In fact, this first recipe was adapted from the Inside Tract Gut Health Book, another great read for those interested in digestive health.
Today’s smoothie is similar, but different. Let’s talk about the ingredients, shall we?
- frozen banana or plantain – potassium and starch to help feed good gut bacteria
- coconut oil – good fats, particularly MCT, this type of fat will bypass liver during digestion and go straight to the blood stream –> hence the quick energy!
- avocado – great source of monounsaturated fat, plus did you know that avocados contain an enzyme that aid in gut healing?
- Spinach or Kale – I steamed mine before for easier digestion. Great source of vitamin K and Plant based iron.
- Key Lime Juice – rich in Vitamin C. Citrus fruit rich in vitamin C can help with iron absorption when combined with plant based non heme iron (like spinach). Remember how I talked about power food pairings here?
- dash of sea salt – minerals.
- Cinnamon – anti-inflammatory properties
- maple syrup– natural sweetener that better for blood sugar regular.
That all sounds nourishing and refreshing, doesn’t it?! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the taste too! It’s like your taste buds and your body are all doing singing praises of health and happiness! Heck, you can even make your own Paleo No Bake Key Lime Pies by Texanerin to go along with it!
Double the KEY LIME = AMAZING! Just sayin..
Paleo Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk (coconut milk or almond milk work best)
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil or cream (for extra creaminess)
- 1/2 c to 1 cup ice
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 2 tbsp of juice from key limes.zest and juice of 2 limes
- maple syrup, to taste
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of ginger root (optional)
- Vanilla protein add in - 1 serving sprouted rice protein or gelatin powder
- optional extra GREENS - 1/4 cup steamed kale or spinach
- add a dash of salt if you want to even out sweetness
- Just blend everything together and add a pinch of sea salt to enhance the maple flavor if desired. I also steam my greens a little bit before blending so it's easier on digestion. But the greens are optional.
- Sprinkle extra cinnamon or drizzle more maple syrup on top.
- If you want it extra creamy, add in yogurt or coconut yogurt
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunchor hashtag #cottercrunch
This smoothie usually makes one large container full or 2 small to medium glasses. Sometimes it’s nice to make a big smoothie and save some for mid morning or afternoon.
Alright friends, time to power up the blenders and enjoy this meatless Monday! And if you are like me, you’ll be going to be early tonight. God willing…
What’s your favorite reboot smoothie or dessert type smoothie?
one more week to enter the gluten free foods giveaway. There are 3 winners ya’ll! YAY!
Want to save this recipe? Check out yummly! I created an account a few month’s ago and have been HOOKED> so many recipes to yum! Just click the yum button at the top of post!