This frozen fruit smoothie with grapes is delicious, dairy free and packed full of healthy nutrients and antioxidants! It’s the perfect creamy, refreshing drink to make for breakfast or a post workout snack.
Hey all! Just letting you know we gave this FAVORITE dairy free smoothie new life! Meaning, fresh photos and updated content for you. Extra thick and extra cold! 🙂 Enjoy!
Summer is HERE. And so is the heat. I can’t complain though, we have cool nights and mountain air to escape too! That being said, the heat of summer can still be brutal, especially if you’re a runner or do other types of exercise outdoors. That’s usually when I crave cold and creamy or slushy drinks, especially after hiking or morning walks.
Yes, smoothies are a must during the dog days of summer. Well, this dairy free recipe is for a cold and creamy smoothie with grapes. It follows on the heels of another dairy free breakfast drink, this Keto Green Smoothie. Let’s talk about how delicious frozen grapes are, and why RED or DARK purple grapes provide AWESOME nutrition! One word —> QUERCETIN!
What is Quercetin?
QUERCETIN is one of my favorite flavonoids. Is that nerdy or what? A flavonoid is basically what gives a plant its pigment, and it’s usually full of antioxidants. You’ll find good sources of quercetin in:
- dark berries (blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
- red and purple grapes
- red vegetables like beets
- olive oil
- green tea
BENEFITS OF QUERCETIN
- Full of antioxidants which can help us fight oxidative stress going on in the body. Think of it as calming the crazies! Haha.
- Quercetin has been shown to have an antihistamine effect. Which can help during times of allergies or respiratory problems. Yes, I need all the allergy relief this summer!
- It can help encourage more blood flow, so it’s good for cardiovascular health!
- And my favorite thus far –> It’s said to help ease leaky gut. Yep, gut health. If you’ve never heard about leaky gut, I highly recommend this read from Chris Kresser. Basically, quercetin is shown to help strengthen your gut barrier, which you need to properly absorb food/nutrients/etc.
See, it’s good to know the WHY behind your food sometimes. Especially when it plays a powerful role in your health! Now, let’s blend up some flavanoid goodness in this dairy free smoothie with grapes!
Frozen Dairy Free Smoothie with Grapes
In all honesty, making smoothies isn’t rocket science. You put the ingredients into a blender, turn it on high and in less than 2 minutes, your dairy free breakfast will be ready to drink! INGREDIENTS Five simple ingredients is all you’ll need. Well, plus a couple of extras if you want a dairy free protein smoothie with grapes.
- Frozen grapes
- Nut milk (or coconut milk)
- Dairy free yogurt – Plain or vanilla flavor. If you don’t need a dairy free smoothie, feel free to use Greek yogurt instead
- Vanilla extract
- Ice cubes or a frozen banana for extra sweetness
HOW TO MAKE SUPER THICK SMOOTHIES
The key to making any drink thick and creamy is using frozen ingredients. That’s why we’re using frozen grapes. Basically, the colder the ingredients are, the thicker your drink will be! You can keep your smoothie thin by using grapes straight from the refrigerator. That being said, if you want a shake-like consistency, freeze them for at least an hour first.
- How to make protein smoothie
To make this a protein smoothie with grapes, there are several ingredient options to use. Feel free to use more than one, but know that these ingredients will also thicken your smoothie.
- Protein powder
- Chia seed
- Gluten free oats
- To sweeten the smoothie
Personally, I think the drink is perfectly sweet using the fruit alone. But for a sweeter drink, you can add a bit of honey or maple syrup.
Now, about the MAKING of this delicious smoothie with grapes. It’s been one of our favorites for a long time, especially during hot training months. Just imagine how refreshing this tastes after a run in hot, humid weather! Although, this dairy free smoothie is also great for any post workout in general. Or, breakfast on the go. It’s easy on the stomach, dairy free, gluten free, paleo, yes yes all those. But overall, it’s just plain tasty!
This delicious frozen smoothie with grapes is dairy free and packed full of healthy nutrients!! Make it for breakfast or a post workout snack.
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla dairy free yogurt or Greek yogurt – see notes for other substitutes
- 1 cup frozen grapes (stems removed)
- 14 oz (1 3/4 cups) almond or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup ice or small frozen banana adding thickness
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional sweetener – 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Optional add-ins for thickness – 1/3 cup gluten free oats, 1 tbsp chia seed, or protein powder
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend on high speed until the smoothie is thick and creamy. Serve immediately. YUM!
Other dairy free yogurt options – chilled canned coconut milk (thickened in fridge for 24 hrs)
- Category: breakfast
- Method: blend
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: dairy free smoothie, protein, gluten free, smoothie with grapes
Totally thick, creamy and DIVINE! Gah, I need another.
Have you already made a smoothie with frozen grapes? Tell me all about it!
MORE EASY HOMEMADE SNACK RECIPES HERE! This recipe is part of our 10 Easy Homemade Snacks collection. Check it out!