Ready in just 10 minutes, this Vegan Cookie Dough Dessert Hummus is made with simple ingredients for a lower sugar gluten free, vegan dessert you can feel good about eating. Eat it by the spoonful, or serve it on a snack board for a fun treat!
The final edition to our Minimal Ingredient March series, this vegan cookie dough dessert hummus is made with pantry staples for a sweet and simple recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth while nourishing your body!
Team Savory or Team Sweet Hummus?
Personally, I love both, but that’s because I also love chickpeas! I mean, that little legume can do pretty much anything! From Mediterranean Spinach Artichoke Hummus Dip to chickpea mac and cheese, and even chickpea pancakes, they cover it all! Heck, you can even make dessert bars with chickpeas! Say whaaat? It’s true! In fact, chickpea blondies are one of my favorite desserts. Plus, they’re so good for you, too! I’ll get to that in a minute. But first, back to hummus….
Team Dessert Hummus is in the house today! That’s right, we’re giving you a no-bake dessert hummus dip that you can enjoy all season.
It’s easy to make, comes together in minutes, and contains simple, wholesome ingredients. Ahem.. like chickpeas and dark chocolate. So, it kinda tastes like cookie dough, vegan cookie dough! That way, you can feel like you’re eating cookies while also getting some decent nourishment. I like to get a little crazy and use it to create a fun take on the traditional cookie tray.
Instead of piling the dessert platter with cookies, I use this hummus dip in the center and surround it with fun dipping options the whole party will love! Whether you’re looking for something sweet or prefer a hint of salt, it’s the perfect pair for them all. I’m pretty sure that means you can go back for seconds.
Pro-Tip – Make it ahead of time, and your kids will be so excited, they won’t even realize this vegan cookie dough dessert hummus is good for them!
Now onto the good stuff… and good for you stuff. Hehe.
What Exactly Is Dessert Hummus?
Similar to regular hummus, dessert hummus is made with a base of chickpeas. However, instead of featuring savory items like olive oil and garlic, it contains sweeter ingredients such as cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and honey. As a result, it has the same smooth texture we all know and love but with a sweet twist to satisfy your tastebuds!
What Does Cookie Dough Hummus Taste Like?
As the name suggests, this dessert hummus tastes like cookie dough! The buttery flavor comes together thanks to the use of chickpeas and nut butter. Then we use maple syrup and sugar-free chocolate chips for that sweet cookie-like taste, but in form of a smooth hummus. A vegan dessert dip you can double dip or hog for yourself. Been there. Done that. TOTALLY allowed!
Basic Ingredients You’ll Need:
You’ll probably already find most of these ingredients in your pantry. So, no shopping is required. Hopefully! 😉
- Canned Chickpeas
- No-Stir Almond Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Maple Syrup or Honey
- Baking Soda
- Sea Salt
- Vanilla Extract
- Coconut Milk or Coconut Cream
- Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar (If you prefer a less sweet taste, feel free to omit this!)
- Vegan White Chocolate and/or Dark Chocolate Chips
Nut-Free Swap: If needed, you can substitute almond butter with sunflower seed butter. Just be aware that doing so will turn your vegan cookie dough green once the baking soda is added. You didn’t do anything wrong, and it’s totally safe to eat!
Tips and Tricks for Making Creamy Dessert Hummus
This cookie dough flavored dip (aka dessert hummus) is super simple to make with just a few ingredients and steps. Although we recommend you go the extra mile with our simple prep tips to make your hummus that much better…
- Create a Super Smooth Texture. If you’ve got the time, removing the skins from your chickpeas helps create an extra smooth and silky dessert hummus!
See how below.
Note: Removing the skins isn’t necessary at all! They’re totally edible. It just depends on how you prefer the texture of your hummus.
- Blend to desired thickness. After peeling the chickpeas, just toss the ingredients (minus the white chocolate) into the food processor and give it a whirl!
- Adjust the Sweetness. One of the best things about this edible cookie dough recipe is how versatile it is to make! Feel free to adjust the sweetness to your liking by adding more or less maple syrup or powdered sugar. I even use a monk fruit powdered sugar to keep it refined sugar-free!
- Cut the Gas. If you read the ingredient list above or took a peek at the recipe, you might’ve been confused about the use of baking soda. Trust me, though, you don’t want to omit it as it helps decrease the amount of oligosaccharides found in chickpeas. This means that they won’t make you quite as gassy as they might otherwise. 🙌 Read more about it here!
Alright, now that you know the key steps and tips, let’s show you how to make this cookie dough hummus, along with a dessert board!
How to Make Cookie Dough Dessert Hummus (1 Minute Video)
Curious How to Serve Edible Cookie Dough? – Make a Snack Board!
Of course, you can eat it on its own by the spoonful. No judgment here! However, if you want a slightly more sophisticated way to serve this edible cookie dough, try incorporating it into a snack board! I love to pair it with fresh fruit like berries, gluten free pretzels, homemade vegan cookies, gluten free graham crackers, dark chocolate, and more!
How to Make a Dessert Snack Board
- Create Structure. Add your edible cookie dough to bowls or containers of choice, and place them on a charcuterie board or serving platter.
- Add the Largest Items. Then, arrange the largest items such as gluten free graham crackers, gluten free and/or vegan cookies, etc. around the hummus ensuring they’re easy to grab.
- Fill in the Gaps. Now, the fun part includes filling in any gaps or empty spaces with smaller food items like berries and chocolate!
Store leftover dessert hummus covered in the fridge for 4-7 days!
Yes! Store vegan cookie dough hummus in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Sure! You can make dessert hummus with pretty much any flavors you’d like. Feel free to experiment with different ingredients and add-ins such as unsweetened cocoa powder, pumpkin and cinnamon spice, sprinkles, coconut, and more!
BONUS NUTRITION – Open Up a Can of Chickpeas!
Also known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas are a type of legume that are naturally gluten free. In the store, you’ll find them in their raw form or cooked, canned, and ready to use!
Benefits of Chickpeas
An awesome superfood, chickpeas are full of plant-based protein, fiber, and nutrients including Iron, Folate, Copper, Manganese, and Zinc
Plus, they have a lower glycemic index than other starches like potatoes, and their creamy flavor and nutty texture make them a great peanut substitute for those with allergies or intolerances!
Vegan Cookie Dough Dessert Hummus + Snack Board
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings (2 tablespoon each) 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Made with just 10 ingredients, this Vegan Cookie Dough Dessert Hummus is a nutritious dip perfect to eat by the spoonful or add to a snack board for a treat everyone will love!
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed (See notes)
- 2 Tablespoons no-stir almond butter or sunflower seed butter (See notes)
- 2 teaspoons naturally refined coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons canned coconut milk or coconut cream
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons sugar-free powdered sugar (Omit for a less sweet option)
- ¼ cup dairy free white chocolate and/or dark chocolate chips
- Add the rinsed chickpeas, no-stir almond butter, coconut oil, salt, vanilla extract, baking soda, coconut milk, and maple syrup to the bowl of a food processor. Blend to combine.
- Add the sugar-free powdered sugar, if using, and blend again until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust to desired sweetness.
- Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl. Top it with dark or white chocolate chips.
- Serve on a platter with any snacks desired (berries, refined sugar-free dark chocolate, almond flour cookies, gluten free pretzels and/or gluten free graham crackers, etc.)
- For a smoother texture, remove the skins from the chickpeas before using them.
- Sunflower seed butter will turn green when mixed with baking soda.
- Adjust the sweetness of this dessert hummus by adding more or less maple syrup or powdered sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
- Calories: 88
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Sodium: 376.4mg
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 11.2g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: chickpeas, dessert, cookie dough, dessert hummus, hummus dip, snack, vegan, vegetarain, gluten free, dairy free
Do you have any questions about this Vegan Cookie Dough Dessert Hummus recipe? Leave your questions, feedback, comments, and tips below!
This is so ahh-mazing! Totally irresistible dessert!
This was so delicious! My family was shocked when I told them it was made from chickpeas!
Haha! Shhh… you’re supposed to make them think they’re eating something completely bad for them. 😉
I could eat this whole bowl with a spoon, its THAT good! Thank you!
Haha, I understand completely Colleen! Thank you 🙂