This homemade ice cream recipe makes creamy no-churn ice cream with no condensed milk! It’s fruit sweetened ice cream made with just 5 ingredients and no added sugar. This naturally sweetened ice cream makes the perfect frozen treat for summer. Paleo and vegan options.
Let’s talk about this homemade ice cream recipe for a minute, y’all.
Homemade, fruit sweetened, no churn ice cream. As many of you know, or will now know, I’m not a huge fan of FROYO.
Gasp!! I know! Sorry, but it’s just not creamy enough for me. I am not fond of the consistency and to be honest, I think it’s too sweet. Well, depending on the brand or flavor. I’m an ice cream girl or gelato girl through and through!
It’s a childhood favorite of mine and nothing beats the summer memories I have of sitting on the front porch of Marble Slab Creamery, eating ice cream and talking “life” with my dad. Yes, those are some of the best memories of my life. You think I’m kidding, but I’m not. So fitting since Father’s Day is Sunday, right?
But my main point here is this. Ice cream is nostalgic. And there’s a way we can STILL continue to enjoy this classic creamy frozen treat without all the guilt. Meaning, we can make it HEALTHIER with REAL food, sugars or additives, and still make it CREAMY!
PROMISE PROMISE! Fruit-sweetened no-churn ice cream is like the easiest thing evah evah (that’s slang for EVER x 10).
Ready for it? Let’s discuss the ingredients in this homemade ice cream recipe.
Homemade Ice Cream Recipe Ingredients
In order to make no churn ice cream, you usually need condensed milk to thicken and sweeten it. Yes, condensed milk is real food, so there’s no real issue there. UNLESS you have a dairy allergy, are watching sugar intake, or are vegan/paleo. Ya know? I know many of us feel better eating that way in some form or another, right? And why I have a homemade vegan sweetened “milk” sauce recipe too!
Well, here’s a COOL (pun intended) way to make no churn ice cream. Especially for those with allergies or are vegan, etc.
HOW TO MAKE FRUIT SWEETENED NO CHURN ICE CREAM:
All you need to do is replace the condensed milk with frozen banana and another fruit source. For instance, I use a frozen banana and mango mixture. Then, blend it all together.
After you blend that up and make it extra creamy, you combine it with whipped coconut cream (like in my vegan coconut frosting) or you can use heavy whipping cream if you are not vegan. I’ve tried both creams with this method and both work GREAT!
Once you’ve whipped (in mixer) and blended, all you have left is to add additional flavors. For instance, I use cinnamon, raisin, honey (or maple syrup), and there may have a been a wee bit of rum. Yes, rum raisin. Shhhh… don’t tell anyone I spiked the ice cream.
So where was I, yes… oh so creamy and dreamy fruit sweetned no-churn ice cream.
AKA –> FRUITY-LICIOUS…. ness.
Don’t mind my grammar, it’s Friday and I’m having fun with it.
Homemade ice cream recipe variation: Rum Raisin Ice Cream
P.S. If you want to make this homemade ice cream recipe EPIC, soak the raisins in RUM, then add them to your ice cream with a bit of cinnamon. It’s unreal good!
This homemade ice cream recipe makes fruit sweetened no-churn ice cream without condensed milk and only 5 ingredients. Includes paleo + vegan options.
- 2 cups chilled coconut cream or heavy whipping cream (see notes for how to use coconut cream. You will need to chill it for 24 hrs.)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 raisins
- Raw honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar
- Rum extract
- Ground cinnamon
- First, blend your frozen banana and mango together in a small bowl until creamy. Set aside.
- Next, place your cream (pre-chilled coconut cream or heavy whipping cream) in the bowl of a stand mixer. Blend on medium high speed until soft peaks are formed. If desired, add in a few tablespoons of agave/honey/or maple syrup while mixing.
- Once soft peaks have formed, slowly and gently fold in the banana mango mixture until everything is incorporated.
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients. Raisins, cinnamon, vanilla, etc.
- Pour mixture into a 9×3-inch metal loaf pan. Best to have the baking pan lined with parchment paper to cause less sticking.
- Drizzle any extra toppings on top (i.e honey, cinnamon, etc.)
- Place in freezer for 2-3 hrs until hardened. Keep in freezer until ready to serve
- Fun option! Soak your raisins in 1/4 cup rum for 1 hour or so, until they plump up. Then, add to ice cream before chilling. A great rum raisin dessert!
- Feel free to sub raisins for chocolate chips, nuts, etc!
- See my whipped coconut cream post for details on how to chill coconut cream before whipping.
Ice cream consistency preferences
- When using the coconut cream (for vegans) the texture will be more like soft serve/frozen yogurt but still TASTE like creamy ice cream.
IMPORTANT NOTE Re: Serving
If using coconut cream, the ice cream will harden quickly in the freezer. You can place it in the freezer first for a few hours, but it will need 30 minutes or so to thaw before serving. If you keep it in the fridge it will turn into more of a yogurt base. If you use the heavy whipping cream, the texture will be more like ice cream. Both are DELISH!!
The nutrition shown below is for the ice cream made with coconut cream versus Heavy whipping cream. They are very similar except the heavy whipping cream has a few more calories.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 238
- Sugar: 13.5g
- Sodium: 20.7mg
- Fat: 18.5g
- Saturated Fat: 11.5g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
Keywords: homemade ice cream recipe, no churn ice cream, fruit-sweetened
In all seriousness ya’ll, I never thought I could make homemade ice cream just like the nostalgic kind I had back in the day. But guess what? THIS IS THE WAY! In fact, as soon as this batch of fruit sweetened no churn ice cream was frozen, I took half to my dad. He tried it, he loved it (and was in shock it was healthy), then we reminisced of those times we sat outside marble slab creamy, ice cream cone in hand, melting like crazy, and talking “life.”
Did I mention my dad is one of my best friends still to this day? Yep, sure is! Blessed beyond measure.
So cheers to making fruit sweetened no churn ice cream, and to making new memories with those you love. BIG cheers to the wonderful fathers who take their kids to get ice cream and talk “life,” even when the kid has melted ice cream all over their face.
As a kid, what was your favorite ice cream flavor?
Have you ever made a no-churn homemade ice cream recipe? Fruit sweetened or vegan ice cream?
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes from Around the Web