A vegan friendly no bake dirt pie just got a “Healthy-ish” upgrade! This EASY no bake dessert is made with gluten free and dairy free “Oreo” type cookies, coconut cream, dates, dark chocolate, and more. Plus it has the perfect 3 ingredient no bake dark chocolate crust to go with it. Healthier than the classic, but just as tasty!
And then we entered the last week of Junk Free June and I cheated with Vegan Friendly No Bake Dirt Pie. Gluten free, as always.
Actually no, no I didn’t cheat. Junk free June (remember from this other no bake post) was more about Junk Free thinking/thoughts/etc. Not food focused. Maybe a little food for thought instead. So ya, I’m good. And I kinda think this No Bake Dirt Pie is going to bring a lot of you some peace of mind. Hang with me here.
If you’re not familiar with dirt pie, let me explain. First of all, No Bake Dirt Pie has like… a BAZILLION names. Oreo dirt cake pie, Oreo Dirt Pie, Kansas City Dirt Cake, and the list goes on. It consists of vanilla pudding, cool whip, cream cheese, tons of sugar, and Oreos. Yep, insulin shock dirt pie maybe? LOL! Kidding. Maybe.
My family calls this dessert, Oreo Dirt Pie. Oreos aren’t vegan, nor are they gluten free, so I’m going with a semi version of it. Just No Bake Dirt Pie. Mmm k?
But you see, about 3 years ago, I made an allergy friendly dirt pie family recipe for my niece. (Warning , that post has HORRIBLE PICS).
Anyway, at the time she had gluten and dairy intolerance and we didn’t want her to feel left out at holiday gatherings. I was also kinda excited to have another family eat gluten free and dairy free with me. Haha, sad but true. And you know what? It was a huge hit! But that recipe still irked me. Why? Because I basically made it with all dairy free and gluten free products that were not that “natural” per se. Haha! It wasn’t cheap either, nor was it really from scratch.
You see what I’m saying? Oh yes, it was time! Time to bring back the NO BAKE DIRT PIE in a pseudo junk free June form ya’ll! Vegan friendly, Gluten free, mostly real food ingredient based. I use that term loosely. Oh and I made the option of having it in a Frozen Dirt Pie form as well…..with a no bake chocolate crust made from just 3 ingredients; dates, cocoa, and coconut oil! Gosh, I really like those 3 ingredients pie crusts. Haha!
My no vegan dirt pie filling version consists of banana (to replace the pudding), cocoa powder, coconut cream (chilled), maple syrup, a touch of powdered sugar, Enjoy life dark chocolate chips, a vegan cream cheese that’s SOY FREE, and chocolate Vanilla creme sandwich cookies that are made with non GMO vegan/gluten free ingredients. In fact, I’m super excited that these vegan Oreo type cookies (Glutino) just got an upgrade in ingredients compared 3 years ago. YAY!
*Side Note* these gluten free chocolate vanilla creme sandwich cookies do not contain dairy/animal ingredients but are not labeled vegan. Just FYI.
Anyway, This recipe is SUPER simple. Really! Blend the crust ingredient together. Press into pan. Whip up the rest of the ingredients so it taste like pie filling.
Then Top with a ALL THE crushed “oreo-ish” cookies. Dark Chocolate chips and sauce to drizzle. Just cause. Dark chocolate = Antioxidants, right? Mwhahahahaha!
Point being, this no bake dirt pie is definitely a HEALTHIER version of a classic no bake dessert. Is it junk free? Mmm partially junk free. If it was was all junk free and sugar free, I’d be a genius! But Ya’ll.. this is definitely an Healthyish UPGRADED dirt pie recipe (ingredient wise) that you can feel good about eating. Which leads to a peace of mind. Which leads to Junk Free thinking. See what I did there? Yep, totally justified you eating this dessert as part of Junk free June!
Let’s dive in already, cool? 😉Print
This EASY no bake dessert is made with gluten free and dairy free “Oreo” type cookies, coconut cream, dates, dark chocolate, and more. Plus it has the perfect 3 ingredient no bake dark chocolate crust to go with it. Healthier than the classic, but just as tasty!
- 16 dates – pitted
- 3 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp naturally refined coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Optional 1 tsp chocolate or 1/2 tsp butter extract (see notes for explanation)
- 8 inch pie pan lined with parchment paper
- 2 –3 cans coconut cream (not milk) (13 ounces) chilled 24 hours at least. Disregard water after opening.
- 8 oz dairy free or vegan cream cheese (we used soy free daiya)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 21 dairy free/gluten free chocolate vanilla creme cookies or dark chocolate cookies. Around 12 ounces (Glutino or Enjoy life foods makes dairy free/vegan friendly)
- 1/4 cup or more Melted Dark chocolate
- cocoa powder and powdered sugar to top.
- optional handful of dark chocolate chips
IMPORTANT NOTE -> be sure to place 2 cans of coconut cream (maybe 3 just in case one doesn’t chill) in the fridge to harden. Usually best to let this chill for 24 hrs.
For the Crust:
- Place dates, coconut, and cocoa powder in food processor or blender. Blend until a batter is formed. Press this into a lined 8 in pie pan for the crust. Place in freezer or fridge until ready to make the dirt pie filling.
For the Filling:
- After the coconut cream has chilled for 24 hrs, place the harden cream portion in a stand mixer or bowl where you can beat with mixer. The cream should be thick like a cream cheese texture. Beat/Mix until fluffy/frosting is formed.
- Add your vegan cream cheese, banana, and sugar. Beat/mix again on medium until banana/cream cheese/sugar is mixed thoroughly. Taste to see if you need more sweetener, etc. If it tastes to your liking, pour the dirt pie filling into the cocoa pie crust.
- In a small bowl or ziplock bag, crush your “oreo” type cookies or dark chocolate vegan/gluten free cookies. Generously sprinkle on top of the pie filling. Next, add a handful of dark chocolate chips.
Drizzle with dark chocolate and sprinkle with powdered sugar/cocoa powder.
- If you want the filling texture to be like a “pudding”, place the whole pie in fridge until ready to eat.
If you want the filling texture to be like an ice cream or frozen pie, place the whole pie in freezer until ready to eat. Please note the crust might be a little harder to slice once frozen.
- Keeps well for 3 days in fridge and 5 days or longer in freezer.
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: no bake, dirt pie, vegan desserts, kid friendly, healthy desserts
As I was reading my first Oreo Pie recipe post (way back when), I came across a paragraph that really hit home with me today. My own words slapped me in the face. So much that I had to re-share it.
Well, as I was making the my “allergy friendly” Oreo pie, I started to realize that I was trying force my wee little pie to look like the original. Or maybe even better. I mean, it is Oreo pie, how can you really go wrong?
Then it dawned on me. I don’t need to make this pie look like the original, it’s gonna be FABULOUS as it is. Sure it may look a little different, but it still looks delicious.
Funny thing is, life is kind of life MY Oreo pie. Our life plan doesn’t unfold like we originally thought, but in the long run it actually turns out better, and better for us.
Aint’ that the truth though? Words of wisdom by younger self. Sheesh, I think I was smarter back then. I thought we get wiser with age? Haha. Well, whatever age I’m at, there will be PIE, there will be CORNINESS, there will be FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
Let’s roll with it!
Have you ever made a favorite dessert dish allergy friendly? Do share!
Happy last week of June!
If you REALLY want to make it through Junk Free June, I suggest you save this dessert for July 4th. WINNING!