Whip up this vegan dirt pie recipe for a show stopping dessert that’s dairy free, gluten free, and delicious!
For the Chocolate Cookie Crust – For homemade crust see notes.
- 18–20 (250 grams) gluten free/vegan chocolate cookies (such as Glutino chocolate Vanilla Creme or dark chocolate cookies)
- 3–4 Tablespoons melted refined coconut oil or vegan butter (adjust as needed to allow the batter to hold together)
For the Filling
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 3–4 Tablespoons fine cane sugar (adjust to desired sweetness)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut cream, chilled at least 6- 24 hours to thicken
- 2 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk, chilled at least 6- 24 hours to thicken
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar or fine cane sugar (powdered sugar will have a sweeter taste)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon butter extract for a “cream cheese” taste
- 21 (~12 ounces) gluten free chocolate vanilla creme cookies or dark chocolate cookies, crushed (See notes for vegan cookie brand recommendations)
- Optional: handful of dark chocolate chips
To Prepare the Crust
Place the cookies in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Pulse until a crumb-like texture is formed.
Add the melted oil/butter, and pulse again until well combined. If the batter is too dry, add an additional ½ to 1 Tablespoon of melted oil, and pule again.
Using hands or a measuring cup, press the crumb batter into the bottom of a pie pan and around the edges/sides.
Place the crust in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before filling.
To Prepare the Filling:
Prepare the pudding. In a small saucepan, whisk the milk, sugar, cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt on medium heat to combine. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and let it cool in the fridge for 30-45 minutes or until the pudding has set.
While the pudding chills, prepare the coconut whipped cream filling. Place the solid cream portion of the coconut milk and cream in a stand mixer or mixing bowl. Discard the remaining liquid from the can. The cream should have a thick, cream cheese-like texture.
Add the powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, and optional butter extract to the cream. Whip/beat on medium speed for 2 minutes or until the batter is mixed thoroughly and light in texture. Place in the fridge.
Prepare the topping. Place the chocolate vanilla creme cookies in a bag or food processor, and pulverize until the cookies are crushed and crumbly. Set aside.
Remove the pudding and coconut cream mixture from the fridge. Fold the pudding mixture into the coconut cream mixture, and stir until well combined. Adjust to desired sweetness.
Pour the pie filling batter into the chilled pie crust. Using the back of a spoon, spread the batter evenly, almost to the edge of the crust.
Top with the cookie crumbs and optional chocolate chips.
Freeze for 20 minutes to simplify cutting/serving, or place the pie in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Alternatively, freeze for 1+ hours for more of an ice cream cake/frozen pie texture. Freezing Tip – If using our homemade crust (recipe below) be sure to let it thaw out on the counter for 30 minutes before slicing.
Store in the fridge for 3-5 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutrition below is for entire pie with cookie crust.
Make sure the canned coconut cream and coconut milk have been chilling in the fridge overnight. This will allow it to solidify enough to whip into whipped cream.
Date Crust Option:
- 1 ½ cups (around 175 grams) pitted dates
- ½ cup gluten free quick oats
- Optional ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 Tablespoons coconut oil, as needed.
Line a pie tin before adding the crust with parchment paper for easy slicing. Place the dates, oats, optional coconut, cocoa powder, and coconut oil in a food processor or blender. Pulse until the ingredients are well combined and form a coarse sand-like texture. (It should be sticky to touch but easy to transfer to the pie pan.)
Transfer the batter to an 8-inch pie pan, pressing down evenly. Place the crust in the fridge for 30-45 minutes or freezer for 15-20 minutes to set.
- Prep Time: 1 hour +
- chill time: 20
- Cook Time: n/a
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 18.4 g
- Sodium: 52.8 g
- Fat: 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0.1 mg
Keywords: vegan, no bake, pie, gluten free, dairy free, dessert