Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies with Amaretto are gluten free and vegan jam cookies spiked with amaretto. This vegan Christmas cookies recipe is so easy to make and the cookies freeze well, too!
Thought you should know that this Vegan Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies post is sponsored by my friends at Bob’s Red Mill. They’re awesome to me, so thanks for being awesome to them in return!
Vegan Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
When does the official holiday season arrive? I would say as soon as you start planning for it. Right? I’m ALWAYS behind in this area of my life, but today, I don’t feel so behind. In fact, I feel way ahead! Christmas cookies before Thanksgiving? Yep, doing it!
That being said, I have a feeling I’m not the only one who looks forward to getting holiday baking started. No matter how planned or unplanned I may be. *Remind me of this as when I get behind with my Christmas shopping* There’s just something magical about the smell of holiday baking and putting up your tree. You could be 6 or 36, it’s special. And it’s supposed to be SAVORED!
Baking vegan Christmas cookies like these Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies gets me into the holiday spirit. Is that too corny? I mean, come on, look how cute and sparkly they are!
We’re going to go ahead and Spike these thumbprint cookies with a touch of amaretto – because, well, that helps pump up the holiday spirit even more!
In all seriousness, the best news of all is that these are naturally sweetened, gluten free cookies too. So HOORAY for HEALTHIER OPTIONS for holiday baking!
Vegan Thumbprint Cookie Ingredients
All you need to make Vegan Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies are a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry!
- Ground gluten free quick oats or gluten free oat flour
- Fine almond flour
- Ground cinnamon
- Sea salt flakes
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- Grape seed oil (it’s great for vegan baking!)
- A smidge of amaretto (or almond extract for substitute)
- Raspberry or cherry jam
- Sparkling cane sugar
- Optional white chocolate, vegan frosting, or powdered sugar glaze
For the oat flour use gluten free quick oats, or better yet, grab some Bob’s Red Mill gluten free oat flour!
If you don’t have or can’t find any gluten free oat flour, no worries – you can easily make your own.
How to Make Oat Flour
You know that I like to keep things easy, especially around the holidays. It’s important to stay stress-free, ya’ll. Which reminds me – have you had any Gluten Free Foods that Reduce Stress and Anxiety lately?
So, to make gluten free oat flour at home, you just grind up gluten free quick oats in a food processor or high speed blender until a fine powder is formed (see below). Quick, easy, and stress-free.
After that, mix the oat flour with oil and fine almond flour. Bam! The shortbread cookie base just got a whole lot healthier. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup, of course!
If you like to bake ahead of the holidays, I have a feeling you’re going to ask this question:
Can thumbprint cookies be frozen?
The great news is, YES, raspberry thumbprint cookies can be frozen!
Just place the baked cookies between sheets of parchment paper or waxed paper. Then place them into a zip top plastic bag or a freezable storage container and pop them into the freezer for up to 3 months.
But I will warn you, trying to freeze them only makes you want to make more to have readily available. I may or may not have frozen these and then snuck one out of the freezer because…
Alright my friends, let me know if you try this recipe. I, myself was surprised at how easy they were to make!
Gluten Free and Vegan Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies – these jam cookies are spiked with amaretto for a festive touch. Vegan Christmas cookies that are easy to make!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour ( Bob’s Red Mill) or gluten free quick oats (See notes for making oat flour)
- 1 cup almond flour, blanched fine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/3 cup grape seed oil
- Sparkling cane sugar (I used Bob’s Red Mill) and/or sugar glitter
- 2 tablespoons amaretto (or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup (110 grams) raspberry or cherry jam
- Optional melted white chocolate, vegan frosting, or powdered sugar glaze
- Add first 6 ingredients (oat flour through oil) into a mixing bowl. If you don’t have oat flour see notes on how to make it.
- Beat with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer for 1 minute. Roll batter into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and let it sit in fridge for 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix jam and amaretto together in a small bowl.
- Remove dough from fridge and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Spoon the dough with a cookie scoop (or spoon) and Roll the dough into balls about the size of a golf ball. Next roll the ball in sparkling sugar.
- Place on baking trays allowing a room for cookies to spread. Press your thumb gently into the center of each cookie. You can patch up the edges as need.
- Next fill with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the spiked jam. Sprinkle top with sparkling sugar.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cookies cool on the pan before touching, then you can add your optional drizzle of melted white chocolate or powdered sugar glaze, if desired.
- Keep cookies stored in airtight container in fridge or freeze between parchment paper for up to 3 months.
- To make your own oat flour, place 2 to 2 1/2 cups gluten free quick oats or rolled oats in a food processor. Grind until a fine flour in formed. See picture on blog.
- Category: cookies
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American/Italian
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
Keywords: raspberry thumbprint cookies, vegan Christmas cookies, gluten free baking
To conclude…. Holiday season is here. Commence the gluten free baking. Make sure you add some sparkle, glitter, and while we’re at it, be sure to paint your nails to match. Gah, rookie mistake!
What’s your favorite holiday christmas cookie? I have a bazillion more to come, flourless cookies, vegan cookies, and of course, all gluten free! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
[click_to_tweet tweet=”These Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies with Amaretto are not only gluten free and #vegan, but easy to make with @bobsredmill oat flour! #cookies” quote=” Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies with Amaretto! Gluten free and #vegan easy to make and enjoy!”]