This Easy Healthy Crockpot Recipes Roundup is full of the best recipes for nourishing breakfasts, crowd-pleasing dinners, kid-friendly snacks, and more. Try them all or pick your favorites for gluten free crockpot meals perfect for every occasion!
This roundup, originally published in 2017, has been updated to provide you with better content and new and/or improved recipes! If you can’t find something you’re looking for, let us know, and we’ll be happy to help!
- The Secret to Gluten Free Meal Prep
- Is There a Difference Between a Crockpot and a Slow Cooker?
- Are Gluten Free Slow Cooker Recipes Healthy?
- Ingredients to Keep on Hand
- The Best Easy Healthy Crockpot Recipes
- Common Questions about Gluten Free Slow Cooker Recipes
The Secret to Gluten Free Meal Prep
Do you meal prep? I’ll admit, I’m not a huge fan. However, having meals prepared ahead of time is a great way to make the week a little easier and prevent those last-minute takeout runs. So, for those weeks when I know my schedule is going to be even crazier than usual, I know I can always count on easy healthy crockpot recipes to keep me on track and fueled with delicious meals and nourishing ingredients. The only hard part is deciding what to make! Therefore, to make your life easier, I’ve gathered up a complete list of the best gluten free crockpot recipes for every occasion!
Is There a Difference Between a Crockpot and a Slow Cooker?
The answer to this question is both yes and no. You see, although the terms crockpot and slow cooker are often used interchangeably, there is a difference between the two appliances. Crockpot is actually the name of a brand that produces a pot that is made out of stoneware and sits inside a heating element. Meanwhile, a slow cooker is a similar device, not created by the Crockpot brand, that consists of a metal pot that rests on top of a heating surface rather than inside of it.
In short, all crockpots are slow cookers, but not every slow cooker is a crockpot.
Are Gluten Free Slow Cooker Recipes Healthy?
The answer to this question largely depends on what recipes you’re making and the ingredients used. Also, what is considered “healthy” looks different for everyone. However, the most common concern when it comes to gluten free slow cooker meals is that the nutrients from the ingredients will be destroyed in the cooking process. Luckily, this isn’t exactly the case. You see, unlike other cooking methods, slow cooker recipes use very low heat settings to slowly cook your ingredients, leaving the nutritional value largely intact and creating delicious meals in the process!
Ingredients to Keep on Hand
While there is a seemingly endless list of items that can be prepared in a crockpot, there are a few staple ingredients that can be found in a large majority of crockpot recipes including:
- Broth – The key to creating successful crockpot recipes is to use an ample amount of liquid to prevent the food from drying out. Therefore, adding broth in place of water is a great way to add extra flavor with ease!
- Tomatoes/Sauce – Not just for pasta dishes, tomatoes and tomato sauce can be used to form the base of many crockpot recipes such as chilis, stews, soups, and more.
- Butter/Oil – Whether it’s used to grease the bottom of the pot or add flavor, butter and oil are staple ingredients in most recipes.
- Protein – Adding protein sources such as chicken and beef to a crockpot is the easiest way to create juicy and tender meals with the touch of a button.
Baking Tip: For the best flavor, try searing your meat in a separate skillet for a few minutes, creating a nice brown exterior before adding it to any easy healthy crockpot recipes!
- Fresh and Frozen Vegetables – Cook vegetables with meat sources or on their own for super flavorful dishes.
The Best Easy Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Crockpot Breakfast Recipes
I love to put the ingredients for these recipes in the crockpot overnight for warm, hearty meals waiting for me in the morning!
- Oatmeal in a Jar – This Superfood Oatmeal can be made in the slow cooker or Instant Pot! So, be sure to check the recipe card for tips! Then, spoon it into meal prep containers or glass jars for an easy breakfast to go. Naturally gluten free, vegan friendly, and packed full of nutrients, it will keep you satisfied for hours. It even has a stove top option, too!
- Hot Fruit Bake – Serve this Hot Fruit Bake on its own, or use it to top waffles, pancakes, and more! It’s the perfect breakfast option for holidays parties, weekend brunches, and everything in between. If you’ve got the time, it’s easy to make in the oven. Whichever method you choose, it’s guaranteed to leave your home smelling incredible!
- Savory Oatmeal with Crispy Bacon (Dairy Free Option) – A savory spin on sweet oatmeal recipes, this Savory Oatmeal with Crispy Bacon is a warm, well-rounded meal that will have you jumping out of bed.
Gluten Free Crockpot Meals
Perfect for busy weeknights or feeding a crowd, we could all use a few more easy healthy crockpot recipes in our lives, right? I’ve listed my absolute favorites below!
- Greek Tacos with Lamb – Switch up regular beef tacos with these Slow Cooker Greek Tacos with Lamb! They’re a great source of protein and extra tasty when topped with crumbled feta. No time to wait? Don’t worry! These tacos require a bit more attention but turn out just as tasty on the stove.
- Green Chile Turkey Tacos – Elevate the flavor of your tacos with roasted green chiles for a healthy, gluten free dinner the whole family will love! This recipe can be made on the stove top or in the slow cooker, and has a vegetarian option, too!
Note: Cooking meat such as turkey in the slow cooker helps create tender, juicy, and flavorful dishes thanks to the slow absorption of liquids.
- Fire Roasted Tomato Shrimp Tacos (Low Carb Option) – Full of delicious flavor and rich in nutrients, these Fire Roasted Tomato Shrimp Tacos are an easy make-ahead meal.
Stews & Chilis
- Dairy Free African Peanut Stew (Vegetarian Option) – A wholesome recipe that can be made in the crockpot stove top, or in the Instant Pot, this African Peanut Stew is packed with nourishing ingredients and warm flavors. It’s super tasty on its own or served over rice!
- Sausage and Quinoa Stew – A great source of protein and budget-friendly, this Sausage and Quinoa Stew is guaranteed to be a family favorite recipe and can be made in either the crock pot or Instant Pot.
- Vegan Red Lentil Chili – Vegan, gluten free, and full of both protein and fiber, this Red Lentil Chili is the perfect option for an easy and filling meal.
- Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili (Whole30 and Paleo Friendly) – This Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili Recipe packs a punch of flavor and is made with simple ingredients and bean-free for a super kid-friendly recipe! Need a quick option? No worries, we included an Instant Pot option as well!
BONUS POPULAR BEEF RECIPE! Crockpot Sweet and Sour Hawaiian Beef (Paleo Friendly) – One of our most popular recipes, this Crockpot Sweet and Sour Hawaiian Beef recipe is easy to make, full of flavor, and freezer-friendly!
Easy Chicken Crockpot Recipes
- Chicken Salad Sliders (Mayo Free) – A classic dish, these Chicken Salad Sliders are flavorful, tangy, and protein-packed for a wholesome gluten free meal.
- Shredded Chicken – Flavorful and juicy, shredded chicken is the perfect addition to tacos, salads, quesadillas, casseroles, and more! Depending on the tools you have on hand and the time you allot in the kitchen, tender and juicy shredded chicken can be made using a variety of methods including the crock pot, Instant Pot, stovetop, oven, and air fryer. Bonus, you can use that shredded chicken in this Beanless Chili Chicken Verde for a quick crockpot meal!
Not looking for a full meal, but need something to snack on? I’ve got you covered with the best kid-friendly gluten free slow cooker recipes for snack time!
Kid Friendly Crockpot Snacks
- Curry Spiced Snack Mix – This Curry Spiced Snack Mix is made by slow cooking nuts in a delicious coating full of curry spices, unrefined sugar, and gluten free tamari. Then, they’re tossed with superfood ingredients such as goji berries and pineapple for an irresistible sweet and spicy combination!
- Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix (Paleo & Vegan Friendly) – A great option for holiday gifts or a tasty snack, this Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix is made with a combination of dark chocolate, cocoa nibs, cranberries, walnuts, pumpkin spice, and more.
- Chunky Monkey Paleo Trail Mix – Made with sweet and nutty flavors, this Chunky Monkey Paleo Trail Mix is full of delicious flavors and textures for an easy snack that will leave you feeling energized!
Bonus Cozy Drinks: Mexican Spiked Hot Chocolate Cocktail or Mocktail – Rich, creamy, and made with spicy heat, this hot chocolate recipe can be made without or without the alcohol for a cozy drink the whole family can enjoy!
Common Questions about Gluten Free Slow Cooker Recipes
Yes! The crockpot is a great way to cook raw chicken. Let it cook for 4-6 hours, and you’ll have super juicy chicken with ease. For an even tastier option, try adding your favorite seasonings, or cover your chicken with a sauce.
Yes, although not common it is possible to overcook meat and various protein sources in the slow cooker. To prevent this from happening, opt for a slow cooker that has a timer that automatically changes the setting to the “warm” mode after cooking, ensuring your meat is cooked perfectly every time.
The truth is, there is no right or wrong when it comes to the size of your crockpot. However, if you plan on cooking large meals or enough to store leftovers, opt for a bigger version such as a 4-5 quart crockpot. Or, if you’re cooking for 1 or 2 people, choose a smaller crockpot between 1 and 3 quarts to prevent food waste.
If you make any of these easy healthy crockpot recipes, I’d love it if you let me know in the comments below! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.