Paleo beef chili is not only easy to make in a slow cooker, but also full of flavor! Loaded with sweet potatoes, beef, spices, tomatoes, and more. It’s whole 30 friendly, quick to prep, and pure comfort food. Hearty yet healthy!
Hey friends! Guess what? I’m human. Yes, although I wish I was super woman. For the cape and all, but sadly, I am not her. And I need help, like MAJORLY this week. I am up to my eye balls in snow and boxes and other work while moving. But I really wanted to keep this accidentally Paleo week going. So, my dear friend and bad ass chef/photographer/cookbook author Katie is taking over. She has a ridiculously tasty slow cooker paleo beef chili recipe to share. Dang, you know I love my sweet potato paleo chili. If only I had slow cooker or crock pot here. It’s coming though!! In the meantime, get a kick out of Katie’s post and her fabulous recipe.
Hi there. It’s Katie. Get ready for some Katie thoughts and a Paleo recipe. I hope you like both!
Last week after finishing the testing phase of this Slow Cooker Paleo Beef Chili recipe, I realized that I didn’t really know what I wanted to talk about in the text portion of my guest post. Probably because I wanted to make a good impression on you all. I started to get a little writer’s blocky (is that a word?)
What would any normal person in my position do?
Google it, of course.
- Tip #1: If you’re having writers block, it is not helpful to Google “What should I write my Slow Cooker Paleo Beef Chili blog post about?” It will make you hungry, distracted and not answer your question.
- Tip #2 Do not go on Facebook and spend five minutes weeping about an inspiring weight loss success story. That will not help your cause to write a kick ass blog post for your friend.
Finally I decided to google “Chili Quotes” and after scrolling through random lyrics to Red Hot Chili Pepper songs and drawings of sexy jalapenos holding signs that say “I’m kinda hot” I found a quote by famed food writer Calvin Trillin. He’s always a great source for witty food quotes.
- Tip #3: I should have googled him first.
He said, “I like chili, but not enough to discuss it with someone from Texas.”
And that was when I knew I was really in trouble. Not only did I not know what I was going to write my copy about, but I was attempting to write a blog post on a Texan’s food blog about chili! And to make matters worse, anyone with two eyes can see that it is so not Texas chili. It’s Slow Cooker Paleo Beef Chili.
What was I thinking??? So I called my mom. She’s also from Texas.
She asked about the chili and I sheepishly told her that there weren’t any beans in it, she said, “That’s too bad.” Maybe I shouldn’t have called a Texan. But wait, isn’t Texas chili made with out beans? Oh dear.
When I hung up the phone I realized that I probably should just wave my Slow Cooker Paleo Beef Chili Freak Flag high and just embrace the fact that it is not Texas chili, and proudly so. This is 100% bean free, loaded with vegetables, and I even added in sweet potato. The beef is grass fed and ground, and oh yeah, I am on a roll, it’s browned in coconut oil!
I am such a rebel.
Alright, enough about me. Let’s slow cooker some paleo beef chili. Easy, simple.Print
Easy Slow Cooker Paleo Beef Chili with Sweet Potato
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 pound ground grass-fed beef
- 1 each green and red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 14-ounce can petit diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili
- Optional Garnishes: cilantro, diced avocado and/or minced red onion
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add beef, and cook, stirring often and breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon until the beef is browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer the beef to the insert of a large slow cooker.
- Stir in bell peppers, onion, sweet potato, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic, cumin, salt, cinnamon and chipotle.
- Cover and set slow cooker on high for 6 hours.
- Serve topped with garnishes.
Nutrition – Cal: 330 Total Fat: 13 g Sodium: 1616 mg Carb: 33g Fiber: 7g Protein: 18g Vitamin A 75%Vitamin C 144% Calcium 9% Iron 21%
Cheers! I mean YEEEEHAW!
Texas Chili or Beef Chili…. what’s the difference to you? Chime in folks! And send me your slow cooker chili recipes to add to my collection.
Thanks so much for having me today Lindsay! And dear readers, I’d love if you came by to visit me over on my blog Healthy Seasonal Recipes some time. Or catch me on Facebook watching tear jerker weight loss videos where I share all sorts of healthy seasonal recipes.