Greek Slow Cooker Tacos with Lamb! Lamb is a great alternative to your ordinary beef tacos! Easy to make in the crock pot or slow cooker, plus a healthy and a great source of protein. These lamb tacos make for a delicious and nutritious meal when topped with crumbled feta and salad! Serve with gluten free tortillas or corn tortillas!
The recope inspiration behind these slow cooker tacos!
Here’s the thing. We miss New Zealand. Like a LOT! In fact, we’re on a quest to get back there. Ahh, yes, the beauty and the simplicity of that country. And since my husband is from the south island, we often get care packages full of his favorite goodies from family. They are so thoughtful and know exactly when my husband (aka the kiwi) is needing his licorice and marmite fix!
One of the things I like to do when we’re both missing New Zealand is to make a healthy meal with lamb, because in New Zealand, lamb is popular, delicious, and makes a very nutritious meal. Plus I really can’t make a full on meal out of licorice and marmite, yet, haha! The homesick meal (lamb) I make for him isn’t prepared quite like the way they do in New Zealand, but it’s the thought that counts. Right? So today we’re putting a some spin on on three of my favorite (and my husband’s favorite) dishes…
Mediterranean inspired LAMB Tacos!
But wait, it gets better. These are…
Slow cooker TACOS!
A little bit of Mexican (taco style) plus a little bit of Mediterranean/Greek. Greek marinade with red pepper, olive, and feta topping. Slow cooked Lamb (think Kleftiko), a slow cooked lamb dish! Plus lamb is a huge hit (custom) in New Zealand, where my husband is from. is a specialty in Greece. Do I get bonus wife points for that? Say yes!
These type of “cultural fusion” meals are my favorite! Not to mention easy to make and eat. Slow cookers are great at making meat extra tender and easier to digest. Plus slow cooking can really enhance the flavors of the meat. You know I’m all about slow cooker recipes these days anyways.
Here’s whatcha need!
GREEK TACOS INGREDIENTS:
- Ground Lamb
- Creamy Balsamic Dressing (this homemade dressing with Greek yogurt looks good!)
- Sun dried tomatoes and/or fresh cherry tomatoes
- Black olives
- Feta and Tzatziki sauce
- Fresh basil
- Garlic and red onion
- Gluten Free Tortillas or Corn Tortillas. Heck you could even make these “gyro” style my Grain free Naan Bread
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage
How to Make GREEK TACOS with Slow Cooked Lamb
Simple. Brown the meat in a pan. Then toss it in the crock pot with your marinade and seasonings. Let the meat cook for a few hours while you do other things, then VOILA!
Just before serving, heat the tortillas or flatbread. I think giving them a good charr over gas oven is best. Extra crispy outside, soft in the middle.
Fill those taco shells with slow cooked lamb, tomatoes, salad, basil, olive, and top with feta! Bam, taco night with a twist! Not to mention easy meal prep.
Other ways to use slow cooked lamb:
Gluten Free Greek Tacos with Slow Cooked Lamb
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil (if lamb is fatter cut, then you will not need but 1 tbsp or less)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup creamy balsamic dressing or greek dressing/marinade of choice
- 3 oz can of chopped black olives (3 tbsp or so)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped) or 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- Dash of black pepper (optional)
- 5–6 corn or gluten free tortillas
- Crumbled feta to top
- Shredded cabbage or salad mix
- 1/2 c Sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (diced) and/or diced cherry tomatoes (1/2 c)
- Optional- Top each taco with dollop plain Greek Yogurt or Tzatziki yogurt dip to top.
- First brown your ground lamb meat in a skillet for 5 -6 minutes on medium high. Drain excess fat.
- Remove the browned meat from the skillet and place in a crockpot/slow cooker.
- Add in your olive oil, garlic, salt, olives, dressing, herbs, and extra seasoning (if desired), and stir well.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hrs. Stir halfway and add in any other seasoning you desire, such as black pepper or more dressing/garlic. I usually check the flavor half way to see.
- Once cooked, warm up your tortillas or char grill on gas stove. Fill each tortilla with 1/4 to 1/2 cup lamb then top with toppings. i.e crumbled feta, red onion, chopped salad, and sun dried tomatoes.
- Spoon Yogurt or Greek yogurt dip (tzatai) to top if desired. Garnish with Basil.
This can be made on the stove top as well. Simple follow the same direction, just be sure to remove grease (reserving 1 tbsp fat for pan) from browning the meat before adding the other ingredients back in. Cook for 20 minutes on medium to low until meat is cooked through and sauce/spices have set in. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Category: main
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: mediterranean american
Keywords: tacos, greek, lamb, slow cooker, gluten free, healthy, dinner, slow cooked lamb,
To sum it up –-> We miss New Zealand. We love lamb. We Love Greek food and Tacos! And I adore my slow cooker.
Now there’s a crazy Cotter post for you! Let’s eat!
What’s your go to meal you make when you are homesick meal? Do you love lamb or tacos like us?