Gluten Free Greek Tacos with Slow Cooked Lamb
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil (if lamb is fatter cut, then you will not need but 1 tbsp or less)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup creamy balsamic dressing or greek dressing/marinade of choice
- 3 oz can of chopped black olives (3 tbsp or so)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped) or 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- Dash of black pepper (optional)
- 5–6 corn or gluten free tortillas
- Crumbled feta to top
- Shredded cabbage or salad mix
- 1/2 c Sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (diced) and/or diced cherry tomatoes (1/2 c)
- Optional- Top each taco with dollop plain Greek Yogurt or Tzatziki yogurt dip to top.
- First brown your ground lamb meat in a skillet for 5 -6 minutes on medium high. Drain excess fat.
- Remove the browned meat from the skillet and place in a crockpot/slow cooker.
- Add in your olive oil, garlic, salt, olives, dressing, herbs, and extra seasoning (if desired), and stir well.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hrs. Stir halfway and add in any other seasoning you desire, such as black pepper or more dressing/garlic. I usually check the flavor half way to see.
- Once cooked, warm up your tortillas or char grill on gas stove. Fill each tortilla with 1/4 to 1/2 cup lamb then top with toppings. i.e crumbled feta, red onion, chopped salad, and sun dried tomatoes.
- Spoon Yogurt or Greek yogurt dip (tzatai) to top if desired. Garnish with Basil.
This can be made on the stove top as well. Simple follow the same direction, just be sure to remove grease (reserving 1 tbsp fat for pan) from browning the meat before adding the other ingredients back in. Cook for 20 minutes on medium to low until meat is cooked through and sauce/spices have set in. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Category: main
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: mediterranean american
Keywords: tacos, greek, lamb, slow cooker, gluten free, healthy, dinner, slow cooked lamb,