Crockpot lentil chili is packed with flavor and easy to make. A hearty yet healthy vegan chili made with a few simple ingredients. BBQ spices, sauce, onions, vegetables, and lentils. A quick slow cooker recipe, just dump and go. A fiber and protein rich meal that will feed plenty. Gluten-free and grain free.
So a few things you should know about today.
One, I am horrible at time management. Even after almost 8 years a blog and I still take forever to write a post and have so much to say yet little time to say it. I am not gifted in that area. Lentil Chili, yes, that I have time for. It’s one of those throw in a pot and go dishes. SWEEEET!
Two, I do like to think that I am gifted with thriftiness and resourcefulness. You know this. Well at least I hope you do now.
I like to stretch ingredients so that they can be used in more than one away. Gluten-free ingredients that are affordable and can be thrown together to make a hearty meal. Hearty and healthy and simple. Yeah I like those three words. You’ll see where I’m going with this later, when I show you how to make this crockpot lentil chili with just a bag of lentils, veggies, and BBQ flavors. OK and few more ingredients, but I promise there are only a few. And it’s really all the crockpot’s job to flavor. And again, totally hearty healthy and simple. Just like me. Ha ha kidding kidding.
And three, since I’ve been blogging for so long I’ve been trying to go back and revamp old recipes, Just to make sure they are actually legit. Whatever you do don’t search for hodgepodge brownies or bread on my site. I think it’s from 2010. It’s embarrassing. But hey, that’s where I started.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT BBQ LENTIL CHILI (1 Minute Video)
This easy peasy barbecue slow cooker recipe for lentil chili is another chili recipe favorite. This recipe is actually an older vegan one pot lentil chili that needed a face lift. And it totally got got it! It’s way better now, in my humble opinion. Why? Because it’s made in a crockpot, and therefore it’s 10 times easier. You’re welcome. Same deliciousness, same thick texture, gluten free and vegan, and just plain tasty. Yeah I know, it might not look so pretty as say… that Thai cauliflower rice salad, but it has that “backyard BBQ party in your mouth flavor.” Well at least now it does. Thank you Jesus!!
I could go on and on and tell you about how this lentil chili came about.
The stories behind it probably from, gosh, 9 years ago. Back when we were first married and this Texas girl was learning how to use the crockpot. Or how are used to make batches of this when my New Zealander of a husband was training for Ironman Triathlons 24-7. That was like feeding a family of 5. This lentil chili was made religiously to fuel him. We put it on rice, tacos, and just about every power bowl recipe. Carbs, protein, and a love for lentils .
But back to my point. This lentil chili has some serious lineage. It must be shared, despite my lack of time management skills. Really, l I swear I’ll get together soon. As soon as there’s a blog apocalypse.
OK OK, it’s Friday I still haven’t even unpacked half our stuff. I can’t even find half our stuff. And I’m surrounded by boxes.
Bust out the crock pot and let’s love on some BBQ lentils. Well, you know what i mean.
Enjoy the lentil chili recipe!Print
Healthy BBQ Vegan lentil chili made with a few simple ingredients. Gluten-free and Grain Free.
- 16 oz bag of red lentils (Green lentils will cook more al dente)
- 1 cup diced onion – red or white
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 – 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup of diced bell peppers (about 1 large)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes or 15 ounces canned tomatoes (drained)
- 4 cups Vegetable broth (3 cups for thicker chili)
- 1/3 c BBQ sauce (see notes for substitutes)
- 1/4 c tomato sauce or unsweetened ketchup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tbsp chili powder mix.
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- black pepper to taste
Toppings of choice – Cilantro, avocado, etc.
- Place lentils in a strainer and rinse thoroughly. Set aside.
- Place the onion, garlic, oil, peppers, tomato, in the crock pot. Mix all together.
- Add the rinsed lentils, broth, and remaining chili ingredients (minus salt and pepper) into the crock pot/slow cooker. Mix all together.
- Cook on high for three to four hours (or low for around 5 hours). Check halfway through cooking and mix. Taste halfway and add more seasoning if needed. Add salt and pepper the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking.
- If you are using green/black lentils, they will probably take closer to 4 hrs and hold their shape. I found that cooking the red lentils on high 3.5 hours made them soft enough. If chili is too thick at halfway point, you can add more broth.
- Once cooked, serve and garnish with cilantro or topping of choice.
- Keeps well in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
- Red/orange lentils don’t hold their shape as well as the green/black. Green and black lentil cook more al dente.
- If you don’t have BBQ sauce, you may substitute with tomato sauce.
- Category: chili/soup
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: american
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 100 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 18 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: crock pot, lentil, chili, vegan chili, gluten free chili, bbq, healthy recipe,
Nutrition Per Serving
Now if only I could remember where I put the wine glasses. LOL! Dixie cups to the rescue.
Um… I have officially declared January the Chili Month. So in case you missed it, here’s last weeks paleo chili and I have another “chili spiced” recipe coming Monday. I hope you like Chili. 😉
Last Crock Pot recipe you mad? Gimme gimme!
MORE HEALTHY HOMEMADE CHILI RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our Healthy Homemade Chili Recipes collection. Check it out!