Vegan salsa con queso is an easy warm cheese dip recipe that will disappear as quickly as you make it! This vegan cheese dip is plant-based, using fresh vegetables and a hint of Tex-Mex spices, making it a family friendly dip that everyone will love. Whole 30 friendly
Hi friends! This Vegan Salsa Con Queso recipe is part of our lovely salsa series!
We re-tested the recipe to make it EXTRA easy and delicious! Now I am republishing it for you today! I hope you enjoy. Be sure to check out our favorite salsa recipes (here and here) and stay tuned for the ultimate snack salsa bar coming later this week!
The Easiest VEGAN QUESO
Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! Vegan QUESO does exist. This recipe vegan cheese is spicy, creamy, easy to make in 10 minutes, and made with REAL food. Heck it’s even Whole 30-friendly. What the what?!! I know, I’m still in shock too. In fact, I’ve made three batches already and put this salsa con queso “cheese” on just about EVERYTHING!
In fact, this whole cheesy vegan salsa dip platter could totally count as a meal. Let’s have a family gathering and eat all the cheese and chips! My chips and salsa loving mother would be so proud.
Alright alright, I know you’re probably so curious and confused about this whole vegan cheese shindig. I’ll explain. Get ready for your MIND TO BE BLOWN!
What’s in VEGAN SALSA CON QUESO?
Glad you asked.
- Cooked and Peeled Potato (russet works best)
- Cooked Carrot and Cauliflower Floret
- Olive oil
- Lemon Juice
- Garlic and Onion powder
- Nutritional Yeast
- Chili powder or Chili Paste
- Canned Chili ready Diced Tomatoes!
That’s it my friends. And trust me when I say, this taste like the real deal. We had a real cheese queso loving friend come over to taste test (*This was pre stay at home orders of course.). He couldn’t believe it wasn’t real cheese. Knowing that, he took this recipe and made it for his whole family. A family of 7! 5 kids under the age of 18 (who all love real queso), and a wife who suffers from food allergies. Could it be that they all get to enjoy this appetizer together?
The verdict? All approved of vegan salsa con queso. Now that is magical! GASP!
How to make VEGAN CON QUESO with pantry staples
- To make the salsa con queso you must first cook your carrot, potato, and cauliflower. I love using leftover cooked veggies for this or even frozen veggies. A pantry staple ingredient that won’t go to waste!
- After your veggies are cooked, you blend it all together. I recommend blending it in two batches. First the Veggies, then add the tomatoes and nutritional yeast. This creates a smoother consistency, like cheese!
- HOT DIP TIP –-> Heating the cooked veggies (just a touch) before blending is key! Why? Because when you blend it all together you have instant HOT VEGAN QUESO. Genius, right? are still hot so once you blend, the sauce become You just steam the veggies then blend it all together. It’s smooth, creamy, and HOT right out of the blender.
Another KEY ROCK STAR ingredient for making this vegan cheese even more flavorful is to use seasoned canned diced tomatoes. We like to use Red Gold Tex Mex Green Chile Petite Tomatoes or chili ready canned tomatoes.. It seriously takes this vegan salsa con queso up to the NEXT LEVEL. But don’t worry, these tomatoes have a mild spice flavor, so it’s great for younger kids who don’t necessarily like spice yet.
You’ve seen me gush about Red Gold tomatoes in my Cuban Picadillo recipe and my Snappy Sweet Potato Spaghetti recipes. It’s definitely a family favorite pantry staple in our house.
Speaking of family….
Salsa Con Queso is one of those recipes that will most definitely bring everyone together around the table. And what better than now! So let’s do it. Make a meal out it it. This might be the one and only queso recipe that you don’t mind your kids eating for dinner. Sneak in those veggies whatever way you can. Right?
Alright, I hope your appetite is ready for some pre-dinner snacking! Followed by lots of great conversation, laughs, and love!
Get ready to devour this easy vegan cheese dip. Grab so of those versatile veggies and spices. Your life is about be changed with VEGAN SALSA QUESO!Print
Vegan Salsa Con Queso
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Vegan salsa con queso is a warm cheese dip recipe that’s quick & easy! This vegan cheese dip is plant-based, using fresh vegetables & Tex-Mex spices. Gluten free, dairy free, low carb, grain free, and a Paleo option.
- 1 large peeled and cooked potato (about 1 ¼ cup, chopped)
- 1 cup cooked baby carrots
- 1 cup cooked cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅔ cup canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 6 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast (see notes for substitutes)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder or onion salt
- 2 teaspoons to ½ Tablespoon chili powder
- To cook the vegetables – Peel the potato, pierce it with a fork, and place it in the microwave for 6 minutes until soft. Remove from the microwave and cut into smaller pieces. Place the baby carrots and cauliflower in a large microwavable bowl, add a few tablespoons of broth or water, cover with a paper towel and place in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft and cooked. Remove and drain excess water. (Steam the vegetables on the stove top. Make sure they are soft enough to blend then discard the water before blending.)
- Place the cooked vegetables and oil in a blender or food processor. Blend until combined. Then add the lemon juice and canned tomatoes with green chilies and blend again on high.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder. Blend on high until a creamy cheese texture forms scraping the sides a few times in order for the vegetables to blend well. It should look like queso or a melted cheddar.
- Pour the batter into a large bowl and serve with an fresh vegetables or gluten free baked tortilla chips.
- Store in the refrigerator in airtight container for up to five days.
Substitutes – Use parmesan cheese or a vegan cheese replacement in place of nutritional yeast.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: appetizer
- Method: blend
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: .05g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan, low carb, gluten free, grain free, paleo, dairy free, salsa con queso, cheese dip
Have you ever made a vegan cheese? What’s your favorite dish you like to make with the family?
Happy Salsa Snacking!
Useful post Thanks for sharing it that’s truly valuable knowledge about similar topic. Amazing. Have a more successful day. Amazing write-up always finds something interesting.
I’m reluctantly dairy-free, and I appreciate all the recipes that you share. This wasn’t bad, but it tasted more like hummus than queso. It’s nothing like cheese. Is there a particular brand of nutritional yeast that tastes more cheesy? I used Trader Joe’s.
Oh no, really? What brand of tomatoes did you use? The chili ready works best. And the best nutritional yeast i’ve used in bob’s redmill. It’s very cheesy! Let me know what ingredients you used. Happy to help!
This recipe was such a pleasant surprise! I wasn’t sure how much I’d like it, because I do love cheese, but the flavors come together so well, and the nutritional yeast adds that cheese taste that I needed!
So glad you enjoyed it Katie!
I really love how easy this is to make!! So good!
Thank you, Toni!
I’ve been making this no queso sauce for years. There is no reason to add oil of any kind. Otherwise, you are spot on with this plant based recipe. And did you know there is a great no queso recipe made with rolled oats?
we’d love your recipe!
This is a great dairy free option! Perfect for taco night or just for snacking!
Thank you! I totally agree!
I was so intrigued by this recipe and it did not disappoint! What a delicious, healthy recipe!
Yaayyy! Glad to hear that Lauren! Thanks!
This recipe is easy to follow and it is delicious! I used a diced tomatoes with green chilies mix WITH chipotle peppers for a little extra. Yum!!
Great! So glad you love it Alex
I am ready to start dipping!
looking so delicious and yummy thanks for sharing the recipe…
Thank you! Enjoy:)
The food looks delicious and attractive, I like this dish.
These look delicious! And definitely the temptation I need to get me to sit down for a full football game 🙂
So beautiful ! Thank you !
I am very happy with the content of your article it is very beneficial and
I wait for the next article to update the information again.
Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
That looks awesome! Can’t believe it’s vegan!
right? So easy too! and DELISH!
Liren | Kitchen Confidante
LOVE that you made this vegan and gorgeous! Such a stunning crowd pleaser!
Thanks liren! I know you’d love this!
You know my love of full fat dairy filled cheese, yes? And I still want this, and it wouldn’t count as a main meal. In fact, this would be my preference.
LOVING this spread! It’s picture perfect 🙂
I just got sooooo hungry looking at this!!!
Liz @ Floating Kitchen
I’m so intrigued by this! It looks amazing. And yes, I could (and can!) just totally make a meal from appetizers. Seriously the best! Wonderful photos, friend!
Thanks friend! Bring your cranberry Riesling sauce and let’s party!
Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
This is one of your most brilliant recipes OF ALL TIME! Love that you used Red Gold Tomatoes! And potato? AMAZING.
Love vegan queso – yum! I’d have this for dinner too 🙂
I am ready to start dipping!
Heather S Christo
ok.. I am obsessed. Pia and I could take down this whole thing in the blink of an eye!
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom
oh my gawd, making this!!!
Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
I would never think those ingredients would turn into a delicious queso. You’re such a wizard!!!!
Thanks friend! I know you’d love this one too. <3
Oh wow!! Love this recipe Lindsay! So wholesome and delicious!
I think vegans an non vegans would all love this!
they totally would!
Love the vegan spin on this and yes, it would absolutely disappear in seconds here!
I bet your boys wouldn’t even know this had veggies in it!
alyssa | everydaymaven
Really good dairy free dips like this are my weakness. MUST MAKE ASAP!
OMG me too friend!
Wow, what a fun vegan queso! Sharing with my vegan and DF friends!
Awesome! Thanks Sabrina!Let me know if they give it a whirl!
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen
Perfect for healthy holiday munching Lindsay! And as always, your photos blow me away!
Thank you so much Mary Ann! Hope you have an awesome holiday.
Loving this paleo version of a cheesy dip! The perfect appetizer, but I could totally make a meal out of it!
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
Ok. This is beyond cool. I wonder if I could sneak it past Vegas? I’m betting yes!
James ate like 3 batches!! Add sriracha. Feed to Vegas. Report back. It’s great on potato or pasta too
Jennifer @ Show Me the Yummy
Need this in my life ASAP <3
Looks good enough to eat by the spoonful!
Melanie | Melanie Makes
It’s like this recipe was made just for me – queso is my absolute favorite! Love that you’ve made it vegan with ingredients I already have on hand!