Vegan salsa con queso is a warm cheese dip recipe that’s quick & easy! This vegan cheese dip is plant-based, using fresh vegetables & Tex-Mex spices. Gluten free, dairy free, low carb, grain free, and a Paleo option.
- 1 large potato, peeled
- 1 cup baby carrots, peeled
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained (Red Gold Tomatoes).
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or 2 tablespoons spicy tomato sauce (ketchup)
1. First cook your vegetables. Peel your potato, pierce it with a fork, and place it in the microwave for 6 minutes until soft. Remove from microwave and cut into smaller pieces. Your potato should equal about 1 1/4 cup chopped.
2. Place your baby carrots and cauliflower rice in a large microwavable bowl, add a few tablespoons of broth or water, cover with a paper towel and place in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft and cooked. Remove and drain excess water. If you don’t have a microwave, you can steam your vegetables on the stove top. Just make sure they are soft enough to blend and to discard the the water before blending.
3. Next place your vegetables and oil in a blender or food processor. Blend until combined.
4. Add your lemon juice and canned tomatoes with green chilies. Blend again on high.
5. Lastly, add your nutritional yeast, remaining spices, and optional chili powder or spicy ketchup/tomato paste. Blend on high until a creamy cheese texture is formed. It should look like queso or a melted cheddar.
6. You might have to scrape the sides a few times in order for the vegetables to blend well.
7. Pour the batter into a large bowl and serve with an arrangement of vegetables or gluten free tortilla chips. You can also keep half for other uses such as vegan mac and cheese pasta, nachos, etc. Keeps well sealed in the refrigerator for up to five days.
8. See notes for substitutes, if needed.
If you don’t want to use oil in this recipe, you may try using a creamy cashew butter or tahini. The texture and taste might be just a little different, but still tasty.
- Category: appetizer
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: .05g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan, low carb, gluten free, grain free, paleo, dairy free, salsa con queso, cheese dip