One Pot Lentil Shrimp Jambalaya! A grain free, healthy Cajun-inspired mashup! Classic Jambalaya and shrimp gumbo combined together and made with lentils instead of rice. Truly, a southern comfort food meal in a bowl. Packed full of fiber and protein. It’s an easy one pot meal for a family, potlucks, or even to make ahead and freeze for later!
Just letting you know this Lentil Shrimp Jambalaya recipe was originally published in 2015. I retested, rephotographed, updated content and URL. Now I am republishing it for you today! I hope you enjoy. Thank you for following Cotter Crunch Y’all!.
It’s cold and I’m in the mood for some major spicy hearty goodness. Let’s talk about this one pot wonder, shall we?
Truth —> If you are from the south, then you know one thing is for sure…. You don’t mess with traditional Southern Comfort Food, especially Cajun/Creole style food. Think shrimp and grits, gumbo, and jambalaya. Each of these recipes have a unique cooking technique and flavor panel! But if your Emeril lagasse, the master of creole food, you can mess with Cajun recipes however you’d like. He’s a genius! Wouldn’t you agree?
Okay, so I might not be from Louisiana, but I am a Texas girl with family recipes you just don’t mess with. Meaning, you don’t change what’s already perfect, such as my mom’s jambalaya casserole. Well, consider me ballsey because I just did. I messed with both traditions. Classic Cajun dishes and mom’s jambalaya casserole. But all for good health and variety. That’s a good reason, yes?!
A Hearty yet Healthy Meal in A bowl – Shrimp Jambalaya with Lentils
Healthy comfort food bowls…. they do exist!
Yes, shrimp jambalaya can be made healthy, grain free, and gluten free with just a few swaps! The RIGHT SWAPS being key.
Instead of making true jambalaya here, I made a combo of gumbo and jambalaya. Most comfort food is all about the protein and the starch (roux’s and all) anyway. We might as well play to it’s strengths!
SWAPS for making a Healthier HEARTY Shrimp Jambalaya
- Cajun Spiced chicken or turkey sausage instead of pork sausage
- Extra Veggies along with the holy trinity (onion, celery, bell pepper) of veggies!
- Lentils (for plant based protein and fiber) instead of rice. Cooked and cooled lentils are also a great source of resistant starch. Which means your digestion will benefit from eating this shrimp jambalaya dish. See, more bang for your buck, health wise!
- Need a paleo jambalaya option? No prob! Try swapping out the lentils or rice for riced veggies!
- Arrowroot Slurry (no oil or butter needed) instead of traditional roux to thicken it. Or feel free to use my paleo roux recipe here.
- No sugar added Crushed tomatoes – Yes, perfect for our refined sugar free diet challenge!
Tips for making a QUICK Jambalaya dish !
- Simple! Prep the lentils ahead or use leftover lentils.
- Buy precooked sausage
- Buy Shrimp that’s already peeled. We love using Sizzlefish for that reason!
- Prep your vegetables the day before.
Then all you have left to do is saute, season, and simmer! All in one pot. BAM!
Ready friends? Let’s spice things up in the kitchen!
This dish is perfect for potluck parties, family dinners, for making ahead and freezing for later, and for REFUELING you after a long day. Whether that be a long day of work, training, school, etc.
It’s definitely another gluten free go-to recipe of ours. Kinda like this one pot shrimp dish. A meal that satisfies every taste bud on your tongue. Don’t believe me? take the challenge and try it for yourself!
You won’t be disappointed. Unless you’re Emeril.. kidding.
Favorite cajun style comfort food?
Do you have any recipe mash ups that you make?