Superfood Instant Pot Oatmeal in a Jar! A healthy breakfast meal prep recipe that’s also portable! This 10 minute electric pressure oatmeal recipe is filled with superfoods; such as gluten free rolled oats, apples, walnuts, flaxseed, goji berries, and more. A wholesome breakfast made easy in a multi-cooker with slow cooker and stove top options. Vegan friendly.
Hey hey! How about a quick breakfast meal prep recipe today? I’ve partnered with Bob’s Red Mill to bring you this Superfood Instant Pot Oatmeal in a Jar! We are thankful for their wonderful Gluten free products and allowing me to continue to share and create gluten free recipes.
Oatmeal in jars. I’m sure you’re thinking… “Lindsay, get with it. That was soooo last year.” In which I would then reply, “But NO, wait, this INSTANT POT SUPERFOOD OATMEAL in Jars (to-go) is so this year, since I’m combining meal prep and the Instant Pot madness together. Am I kind of a genius, or what?” I’m kidding. Kinda. Actually, this is one of those meal prep recipes that came from a lesson learned. If you’re used to skipping to the recipe, I totally get it, but can I pressure you to keep reading about my pressure cooker oatmeal? That pun alone should be worth it. You’re welcome!
Okay okay, puns aside, Instant Pot oatmeal in mason jars will truly change your life, especially if you’re an early morning workout person. Or in my case, the sherpa wife to an early morning runner. Just to preface, you don’t have to serve the oatmeal in jars. You can totally spoon it up in breakfast bowls for many or place it in a glass container for storage. Also, slow cooker version and stove top versions are in the recipe.
Phew! Now, moving on….
Allow me to refresh your memory. You see, my husband and I moved to Utah a year ago. He retired from professional triathlon racing (after 10+ years) and started a 9-to-5 desk job. Hello real world! This was a whole new world to him, and a whole new world to me. I had to really start meal prepping his lunches and breakfasts to-go. Yep, I was forced in to becoming organized. Haha!
Fast forward to present day. We still have one car to share. And the kiwi (aka my husband) has been running to work. It’s perfect. He gets in his miles early and I don’t have to brave the cold and drive him. Well ain’t that a nice set up, right? Keep reading, my whole point of this oatmeal recipe is coming. Promise!
Here’s what we quickly realized. As soon as the kiwi got to work (post run), he was not properly refueling. I learned this after asking him why he was so tired or not recovering from his runs well. Then he mentioned, “Oh I just grab a banana or make a bulletproof coffee.” Only a banana? After that 9 mile trek? Why oh why was he not eating? Four words. .. LACK OF FOOD CHOICES.
No, that’s not gonna work! SHERPA WIFE SYNDROME IN FULL FORCE! Let’s get that breakfast prep up to par and then stock the office fridge for post run refuel. Mmm k?
Hence the instant pot oatmeal ya’ll. I made a huge batch full of superfood fruit and vegetables, gluten free rolled oats, and healthy fats. Stuffed in mason jars and we took it down to place in the office fridge. Now he was set for the week. I felt better, as a human, that I could at least provide food for the man. Haha!
HOW TO MAKE SUPERFOOD INSTANT POT OATMEAL (1 Minute Video)
So you see, one batch, 6 jars, and breakfast prep is made! This superfood oatmeal can be made in the Instant Pot, multi-cooker, slow cooker oatmeal, whatever you have will work. Then place in bowls and reheat, with a splash a milk and extra berries if desired. Edible flowers not included, but they do make it pretty. 😉
Or option two, pour 2 – 3 tbsp milk top of the oatmeal jars, seal it up, and enjoy them as overnight oats from the jar the next day.
I’d like to give a HUGE SHOUT OUT to Bob’s Red Mill for making this dish extra nourishing and naturally gluten free. And for kindly allowing me to share my favorite gluten free Bob’s Red Mill products with my readers. I use their products daily and have yet to be disappointed. Because of them, I was able to make a huge batch of this meal prep breakfast and better my wife skills. WINNING!
Shall I get into a little nerdy nutrition? Oh yes, I should. Just real quick.
The superfood ingredients in this oatmeal was inspired by my love of MORNING GLORY muffins.
- Apples –Apple contain quercetin. Quercetin is one of the most abundant antioxidants in the human diet. It helps fight free radicals caused by stress and inflammation.
- Cinnamon – An Anti-inflammatory Spice and aids in digestion.
- Walnuts and Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed or Chia Seed – Nuts and seeds that contain Omega-3 fatty acids that help reduce inflammation. Especially inflammation caused by consuming processed foods with Omega-6 fatty acids (the unhealthy omega).
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free thick Rolled oats – Contains soluble fiber which help keep you fuller longer, not to mention replenish your glycogen storage in muscles. Crucial for recovery post workout. Superfood Oatmeal for super humans.
- Almond milk or coconut milk – If you use real coconut milk/cream, you’ll get a boost of MCT which is great for energy. Both of these milks contain a good source of vitamin E.
- Shaved carrots –Great source of vitamin A, plus they help balance out the sweetness of the other fruit. Just like in a morning glory muffin.
- Raisins or Goji berries – Both of these dried fruits contain a variety of phytonutrients, vitamins and trace minerals! Plus a boost in potassium.
- Just a wee bit of sweetener – maple syrup, maple sugar, or coconut sugar. All work, all unrefined and contain minerals.
- Optional Protein Boosters – Bob’s Red Mill Vegan Pea Protein
All these lovely super foods combined make one of the most amazing recovery meals and a wholesome breakfast to go.
So you see, this superfood instant pot oatmeal was totally made for a superhuman, my husband. Corny Cotter moment.
Superfood Instant Pot Oatmeal Jars (Stove top and Slow cooker options)
Superfood Instant Pot Oatmeal in Jars (Stove top and Slow cooker options). A healthy gluten free breakfast and meal prep recipe.
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats (Bob's Redmill)
- 2 .5 - 3 cups almond milk or coconut milk (drinking milk) -- See notes to avoid dryness.
- 1/3 cup cream or coconut cream (see notes for substitutes)
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup chopped apple
- 1 large carrot, shredded into shavings or julienne sliced
- 1/3 cup raisins or goji berries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup flaxseed or chia seed
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: 1/4 cup coconut sugar or maple syrup for extra sweetness
TOPPINGS and MIX-INS:
- Optional add-in: 1 serving (scoop) Protein powder desired (I used pea protein from Bob's Redmill)
- Fresh Blueberries to top once cooked
- Extra milk/sweetener to top if desired
Instant Pot Version:
- UPDATED- If you find your instant pot burns oats easily, then add in 3 cups of the milk first. Then your oats and prepped ingredients (minus toppings) in the Instant Pot. Barely mix together.
- Place Instant pot on pressure cook for 10 minutes, then natural release. If you are using quick oats, only cook 7 minutes or so.
- Once cooked, add in optional protein, if desired.
- Spoon into 6-7 small 1 cup mason jars or 5 medium bowls.Top with blueberries. Optional honey and pinch of cinnamon/splash of milk.
Stove Top Option:
- Place milk in large sauce pan. Bring to a soft boil.
- Then place all ingredients (minus toppings and sweetener) in the pot.
- Reduce to low and cover for 20 -25 minutes or until oats have absorbed milk and are thoroughly cooked. Mix in sweetener and protein if desired.
- Spoon into jars or bowls and then add toppings.
SLOW COOKER OPTIONS:
- Follow similar instructions to that of my slow cooker savory oatmeal.
- Place all ingredients (minus protein and toppings) in slow cooker or instant pot slow cooker option.
- Mix all together and set on high 3 hrs or low for 5. Could be more or less depending on your slow cooker.
- Stir the oats in the slow cooker half way. The flaxseed with help bind everything together and thicken it up like steel cut oats.
- Add a 1/4 c more milk if you want to thin out the oats (to create more of a porridge) the last hour of cooking. Mix in protein last if using it.
- Spoon superfood oatmeal into jars or bowls. Add your toppings of choice (listed above).
- You can set this overnight if you have an automatic slow cooker that shifts to warm after 5 hrs.
INSTANT POT NOTES - Updated (thanks to a reader Wihelmina).
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunchor hashtag #cottercrunch
Now grab a spoon and jar or bowl and let’s dig in.
Favorite breakfast meal prep recipe? Do share!Loving this Superood Breakfast to-go! Click To Tweet