This oatmeal crepes recipe is a delicious replacement for pancakes. Fancy them up with your favorite ingredients, or dress them down for a healthy weekend brunch. Either way, everyone will love them! They’re gluten free, there’s a vegan friendly option.
Hello all! I know it’s a bit unsettling these days, but I still want to provide you with easy gluten free recipes for the season, holidays included! Bonus, this recipe can be made with just a few stock ingredients you already have in your fridge and pantry! Make special weekend brunch for the family or a friend.
Yes, let’s show love with food and brunch!
This crepe recipe also makes for a the perfect light Easter brunch, Mother’s Day, or when you just feel like treating your loved ones to a special breakfast or brunch (as mentioned above.) xxoo
Crepes are special like that, and yet require few ingredients! This crepes recipe also happens to have a vegan option (I tested it 3 times already).
And, just so you know, crepes are different than pancakes. Are you intrigued? Let’s discuss.
What are crepes, and how are they different than pancakes?
First of all, crepes feel more special than pancakes. They feel more refined, and more adult. They’re definitely more brunch-y than pancakes, which feel very breakfast-y.
Crepes are flat and flexible. That’s because they don’t have anything to help them rise, like pancakes do. No baking soda or baking powder needed!
As a result of their flexibility and flatness, they are perfect for filling with all sorts of yummy fillings! Things like:
- nut butter (make some cashew butter!)
- healthy chocolate spread
- fresh fruit filling
Just fill, fold, and top with fresh fruit and a dusting of powdered sugar. Garnish with fresh mint or chocolate curls to make your brunch extra fancy!
What is special about this recipe?
This crepes recipe is perfect because it offers all the nutrition of oatmeal, but is easy enough that even kids can make it (think breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day)! It’s also gluten-free (as always!), dairy-free, and super simple to make with simple ingredients.
And guess what else? This recipe also comes with a vegan option! So it’s great for anyone!
Ingredients to make this crepes recipe
The ingredients to make this brunch are so simple, it’s hard to believe they create something so special!
- Rolled Oats — Make sure to check that they’re gluten-free
- GF Flour — Brown rice or other gluten-free flour
- Eggs (or applesauce for the vegan option)
- Raw (or cane) sugar or xylitol for the eggy version (the vegan option doesn’t need a sweetener because of the natural sweetness of the applesauce)
- Non Dairy Milk — Almond or coconut milk (definitely use the creamier coconut milk for the vegan option, though)
- Vanilla extract
- Butter or coconut oil
Okay, y’all. Let’s make oatmeal crepes!
The batter for this comes together in a flash, especially if you use a blender! You can use a bowl or a food processor too, and the results will be just as great.
- MAKE THE OAT FLOUR
This step is easy-peasy. Just throw your oats into a blender or food processor. Pulse until you have a fine flour. Tada!
- MAKE THE CREPE FLOUR
Add the brown rice/gluten free flour to the oat flour. Blend until they’re combined. You can do this with a whisk in a large mixing bowl if you need to.
- CREATE THE BATTER
Add your eggs (or applesauce), salt, sugar, and milk to the flour blend. Blend it up until it’s smooth. If you’re using a bowl, make sure you whisk it until there are no lumps.
- GIVE IT A REST
While optional, I recommend letting the batter rest for about 20 minutes in the fridge. This helps it hold together when you make the crepes!
- HEAT THINGS UP
While your batter is chilling in the fridge, heat up a 10” skillet over medium/medium-low heat. Melt a tablespoon of your butter/oil into the pan and give it a swirl to coat.
- MAKE THE CREPE
Tilt your pan and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of batter to the edge. Swirl the pan quickly to get it to coat the entire bottom, making a large circular crepe.
- FLIP IT
After 1-2 minutes, gently slide the crepe around before flipping it over. Let it cook on the other side and slide it out onto a plate to cool. Repeat steps 5-7 until all the batter is used up.
- FILL IT
Now comes the fun part! Once all the crepes have been made and cooled on a plate, fill them with whatever your heart desires.
Or, you can fold them into quarters and serve as is!
- Chill the batter for up to an hour for best results
- Use a blender for better batter
- Slowly heat the pan for perfectly cooked oatmeal crepes
- Vegan crepes take about three minutes longer to cook than eggy ones. Make them smaller for easier cooking.
So are you ready to make this easy, but still super special and healthy brunch? Let’s do it!
This oatmeal crepes recipe is a delicious replacement for pancakes. They’re gluten free, and with a vegan option, they’re perfect for Mother’s Day!
- 1/3 cup gluten free rolled oats/oatmeal (to blend)
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour or AP gluten free flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1–2 tbsp raw sugar or xylitol
- 1 cup almond milk (or non dairy milk of choice)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Butter or oil for the pan
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats/oatmeal (grind)
- 1/4 cup All-purpose gluten free flour, or brown rice flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1.25 cups almond milk (or non dairy milk of choice)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil (naturally refined)
Optional fillings and topping
- 1/4 cup (per crepe) yogurt of choice or coconut whipped cream
- fresh fruit
- powdered sugar or maple syrup, for topping
- Place the oats in food processor or blender. Blend until fine flour is formed.
- Place ground oat flour and brown rice flour in blender. Blend until combined. This helps sift the flours together. You may also do this by hand in a large bowl, whisking.
- Next, place 2 eggs, salt, sugar, non dairy milk, and vanilla in blender. Blend again until smooth. Batter will be thinner than pancake batter. (See notes for vegan option)
- Place batter in fridge to chill for 20 minutes. Not required but recommended.
- While batter is cooling, heat your pan. Heat a large 10 inch non stick skillet or crepe pan with 1 tbsp oil or butter.
- Slowly heat the pan to the desired temp. Even heat is needed for the perfect crepes! Keep on medium to medium low.
- Scoop 1/4 to 1/2 cup batter and gently pour into the edge of the pan, tilted. Then move the pan in a circular motion to spread the batter into a large circle.
- Let cook 1–2 minutes and then carefully flip to the other side to finish cooking. Gently slide crepe onto a plate to cool before you fold them. Repeat the process until batter is used up. This usually makes 5–6 large crepes.
- Once you’ve made all the crepes, then fill crepes with filling of choice (yogurt, nut butter, etc.) or simply fold into quarters and place on serving plate. Top with fresh fruit and powdered sugar, if desired.
- Vegan option takes longer to cook, but they taste great! About 1 and a half minutes per side. Vegan crepes have a little doughier texture. So, I recommend making them slightly smaller when cooking. As a result, they will be easier to flip. Makes 6-7 crepes.
- Chill batter for at least 30 to 1 hour for best results.
- Best to use blender to blend ingredients, then chill. If you don’t have blender, you may use oat flour and combine ingredients in bowl, whisking flours first, then adding remaining ingredients to combine until smooth.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 crepes (non vegan)
Keywords: oatmeal crepes, crepes recipe, vegan, gluten free, oat flour
Alright my friends, if you make these crepes, be sure to snap a pic and tag us! We love seeing good food being enjoyed and providing nourishment. Nourishment for the body and soul. Amen!
Cheers to being the best version of you!
MORE EASY GLUTEN FREE EASTER RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our Easy Gluten Free Easter Recipes collection. Check it out!