Steamed Artichokes with Mediterranean Aioli are not only easy to make, but delicious and nutritious! Did you know you could quickly steam artichokes in the Instant Pot? It’s so easy! Just pressure cook artichokes in broth for 10 minutes and they come out perfectly tender and flavorful! Bonus; we’re sharing a go-to side Spring dish recipe and why adding this Mediterranean superfood to your meal plan is will boost your health! Paleo friendly, vegan option!
Welcome to bonus superfood superstar week! Let’s see how many times I can use that phrase in a week. Mmm k? Actually, I will try to spare you my alliteration tactics. But before I do, can I just say that I am SUPER excited to share this Instant Pot Instant Pot Steamed Artichokes with Aioli! Mostly for the health perks alone, but also for the ease of yet another instant pot recipe. Yep, nerdy nutrition meets scrappy chef. Comin’ at ya!
Did I mention this recipe is also paleo and whole 30 friendly? Did I mention that aioli is the the go-to sauce for that heart healthy Mediterranean Diet?? Are you feeling healthier just knowing that? You so should!
But I digress. Moving on…
Let’s first discuss the simplicity of this Spring Steamed Veggie Dish.
What you need for Instant Pot Steamed Artichokes Recipe:
- Artichokes (3)
- Veggie Broth or chicken broth
- Mediterranean Herbs: Oregano, rosemary, red chili pepper flakes, pinch of dried coriander or parsley. Or you can buy a Mediterranean spice mix.
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Garlic… LOTS of garlic.
- Egg yolk (Vegan option in recipe)
- Mustard or paleo Mayo
That’s it. Then we just steam them. Which is super fast, thanks to the insta famous Instant Pot!
How to steam artichokes like a boss. Pressure Cooker to the rescue!
To steam artichokes in the instant pot is place them upside down in a cup of broth on top of the trivet (the one that came with your instant pot). Steam for 10 minutes, then slow release. While the artichokes ares steaming in the instant pot, whip up your aioli. Slice your artichokes in half and drizzle with aioli or feel free to dig out the middle and dip in the aioli.
The whole recipe only takes 15 to 20 minutes. Serve it as an appetizer, snack, main meal with chicken or Moroccan burgers, whatever you fancy. It’s all I DIVINE!
See, I told you it was simple. Healthy, easy, delicious, nutritious.
Now about the nutritious part. Yep, Artichoke is another nutritious superfood you should DEFINITELY add to your diet. Heck, even the Mediterranean aioli is a superfood.
Nerdy Nutrition Cap goes on…...
- Artichokes are considered to be a prebiotic food with prebiotic fibers. Prebiotic fibers do not breakdown in the intestines, instead, they ferment and then become the “fuel source” for the good bacteria (probiotics). You need both prebiotics and probiotics to maintain healthy gut flora! WOO! Love that real food.
- Artichokes have high oxygen radical absorption capacity (ORAC). This means they can help fight off oxidative stress in the body and reduce inflammation. ANY KIND of inflammation.
- Artichokes are rich in plant based iron, which can help preven anemia.
- That aioli? Well of course it is SUPER! It’s rich in vitamin E, choline from the egg yolk, and a compound called Allicin found in garlic. The Allicin compound is found to have several medicinal healing properties (source)
Instant Pot Steamed Artichokes with Mediterranean Aioli are not only easy to make, but delicious and nutritious! Quickly pressure cook for steamed artichokes in just 10 minutes. A paleo low carb vegetarian dish your family will love! Vegan options too! #paleo #instantpot #vegetarian #lowcarb
For the Instant Pot Artichokes:
- 3 medium artichokes, stems to be cut off
- 1 cup vegetable broth
For the Mediterranean Aioli:
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped Mediterranean herbs – rosemary and oregano
- 2 tsp garlic or 5 cloves
- 1/2 tsp Dried ground coriander
- Pinch of cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp mustard or honey mustard
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 to 2/3 c Olive oil or grapeseed oil. Adjust according to your desired thickness.
- Sea Salt/Pepper to taste (at least 1/4 tsp each)
- Optional add in-s to make more creamy. 1 tbsp mayo or greek yogurt
- Vegan option in notes.
- See notes for optional Mediterranean spice mix.
For the instant pot steamed artichokes:
- Cut the stems of the artichoke and place upside down in wire trivet
in Instant Pot. The wire trivet should have come with your instant pot. Pour broth over the artichokes and around the instant pot. This will give the artichokes more flavor when steaming.
Cover and lock the lid with sealing the vent closed. Press steam mode and timer to 10 minutes. The instant pot will warm up and then cook for 10 minutes. Allow for slow release once done. Once it’s done, the lid will unlock, naturally.
- Remove artichokes from the instant pot and reserve 1/4 cup broth for later.
- Slice artichokes in half and scoop out center or leave intact.
- Place on large plate or bowl. Drizzle a little broth on top.
- Serve with aioli or spoon aioli on top.
For the aioli:
- Place all aioli ingredients, minus the oil, in food processor or blender. Blend until creamy. About 1 minute. Place back on high and drizzle in the oil. Blend for 1-2 minutes, scrapping sides if needed.
- Remove and place in bowl. Let the aioli set in fridge for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and peppercorns before serving. Makes close to 1/2 cup or more.
- Keep covered in fridge for up to 10 days.
- For Vegan option, omit egg yolks and replace with 1-2 tbsp mustard or vegan mayo or yogurt to make it extra creamy
I love using this Mediterranean spice mix instead of dried herbs/spices in the Aioli. Or you can make your own.
Estimated Nutrition Per Serving:
Estimated Nutrition for Aioli: Serves 6-8 (2 – 3 tbsp each)
Calories 135, Total fat, 12-14 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, Cholesterol 46 mg, 0.5 grams carbs, 0.7 grams protein, 0 grams sugar.
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 2 halves
- Calories: 30
- Sugar: 0.6g
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 2.1g
Keywords: instant pot, pressure cooker, steamed artichokes, paleo, vegetarian, gluten free
So have I convinced you to steam artichokes for dinner today? Please say yes. Just think, your gut health and your taste buds will LOOOOVE YOU!
Haha, my job is done!
Cheers to becoming a superfood superstar!
If you haven’t tried artichoke or aioli for that matter, what’s stopping you? Really, I want to know! How can I make it less intimidating for you to try?
Bonus question of the day.
Name another prebiotic rich food!
Haha, google it and tell me your answer(s).