This Savory slow cooker oatmeal with crispy bacon will make you jump out of bed! A savory spin to your regular sweet oatmeal and total crowd pleaser dish, which is perfect for busy mornings! A Slow cooker oatmeal made with the addition butternut squash, garlic, herbs, parmesan cheese, and topped with crispy bacon and avocado. An easy to make well-rounded healthy meal for any time of day. Dairy free options too.
Hi brain. Are you there? It’s me Lindsay. Um, no, this brain is checked out and on island time. Did I mention I was on vacation? In Hawaii!! For our 10 year anniversary and our first REAL vacation ever? But I have WAY MORE to say on that later. I know I know, I’m super corny and should be off enjoying vacation, which I am, but I could not end the week without sharing this today. We are celebrating the start of cozy CROCK POT & SLOW COOKER recipes season ya’ll. YES! Slow cooker recipes are my jam, all kinds! But since it’s almost Fall, I have an extra love seasonal slow cooker recipes. Like slow cooker vegan white bean mashed potatoes, slow cooker squash soup, slow cooker chili, and you guessed it… Savory slow cooker Oatmeal …. with crispy bacon to be exact.
OHHHH MY GAWD! How have I gone so long without slow cooker oatmeal? Gluten free savory oats I have done, but only the quick stove top or microwave version. We top our “quick” savory oatmeal with egg ALL the time, been doing it since my husband’s pro triathlon days. That type of breakfast was his FAVORITE post swim recovery meal. Gluten free oats, melted butter, a touch of sea salt, real cream, egg, and tabasco. Yep. It’s unreal good and I think you should try it. But I digress, back to this beauty of a bowl!
Slow cooker oats! LIFE CHANGING when it comes to savory. Here’s why.
5 Reasons to get on the SLOW COOKER SAVORY OATS bandwagon:
- You can pack in more veggies, savory sweet starches. Like sweet potatoes or squash give it a little sweetness without any added sugar, not to mention it adds more texture.
- Adding Aged Cheese or Nutritional Yeast (for dairy free peeps) makes these slow cooker oats taste like grits. And oh HOW I love “grits.” Cauliflower grits anyone?
- This is the PERFECT dish for breakfast, meal prep dinner, the holidays, a balanced post workout recovery meal, or weekend brunch. Seriously, it will feed a crowd. Even manly men who don’t consider oats to be a real breakfast. Well these oats for reals! Men will be in heaven with savory slow cooker oatmeal. But I kinda think the crispy bacon might also have something to do with it. More on that below.
- AVOCADO creaminess. Watch out Avocado toast, avocado oatmeal just one upped you. Or so I like to think.
- Last but not least –> Bacon. Okay here’s my secret to these savory oats. The KEY “LIFE CHANGING” ingredient. You ready? Bake the bacon with onion either first or half way through cooking the slow cooker oatmeal. It’s easy and baking the bacon makes it more flavorful and crispy. Once the bacon is done baking, keep the bacon grease from the pan and pour it into the slow cooker oatmeal. Bonus –> You’re kitchen will smell like a campfire big breakfast. It’s AMAZING and so cozy.
I know what you’re thinking. Bacon grease? Ugh, that’s so unhealthy. And I would have to reply with ….. ya’ll…. GET the right kind of BACON. Bacon is real food and little goes a long way. Uncured, nitrate free, non-gmo, humanely raised, and all that super duper real food jazz.
If you’re not into the crispy bacon, that’s totally fine, adding an egg or even tempeh bacon on top is delicious and nutritious. Mmm k?
Alright, enough bacon and savory oatmeal chit chat. I could go on but let’s jump to the recipe and eat already. The good thing is that this recipe basically makes itself, so when I say recipe, I mean throw it in the slow cooker, mix, and press start. Easy peasy cheesy!Print
I may be bias, but the whole crispy bacon and avocado and steamed greens addition = is like a buttery BLT in oatmeal form. Ya, addicting.
I’m also debating on trying slow cooker polenta or millet with the savory spin. I think it will be perfect for those cold mornings. Ya, I live in cold climate now. NEEDED!
For those of you who make slow cooker oatmeal, what do you put in them? Sweet or savory?
Cheers to the weekend!
MORE SLOW COOKER & INSTANT POT RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our Best Slow Cooker Meal Prep and Instant Pot Recipes collection. Check it out!