savory oatmeal made in a slow cooker with the addition butternut squash, garlic, herbs, parmesan cheese, crispy bacon and avocado. An easy to make well-rounded healthy meal for any time of day. Gluten free with a dairy free option
For the Slow Cooker Oatmeal:
- 1.25 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup diced peeled squash or sweet potato
- 1 tbsp Butter or olive oil
- Optional flaxseed 2 tbsp
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 c sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4c Parmesan or nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 c broth
- 2 cup plain almond milk or coconut milk unsweetened
- 1/2 c to 1 c water (if oatmeal gets too thick, use as needed)
For the Crispy Bacon:
- 1.5 ounces uncured nitrate free bacon strips
- 1/4 c sliced red onion
For the Savory Oatmeal Bowl Toppings:
- Sliced Avocado
- Steamed spinach
- Red pepper flakes
- Parmesan shavings
- cooked crispy bacon and onion
- pinch of Pepper
- Optional fried or poached egg
- Place the gluten free oats, diced peeled squash, tomato, butter or oil, flaxseed, garlic, seasoning, milk, broth, and parmesan in the crock pot or slow cooker. Mix all together and set on high 3 hrs or low for 5. Could be more or less depending on your slow cooker.
- Stir and scrape the sides of the slow cooker every hour if you are using real cheese. The flaxseed with help bind everything together and thicken it up like steel cut oats.
- Add a 1/4 c more milk or water if you want to thin out the oats (to create more of a porridge) the last hour of cooking.
- When the slow cooker oats are about ready, preheat oven to 350F and Line a baking tray with foil.
Place bacon strips and sliced onion on the tray on top of foil. Bake for 15 minutes or until crispy.
Reserve 1/2 to 1 tbsp of the bacon grease.
- Stir the extra bacon grease into the oats before serving.
- Spoon savory oatmeal into bowls. Add your toppings of choice (listed) and crispy bacon with onions to garnish.
You can cook this overnight if you have an automatic slow cooker that shifts to warm after 5 hrs. If so, I recommend adding the the cheese in morning. Or use a slow cooker liner so the cheese doesn’t burn the sides.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: overnight oats, slow cooker oatmeal, gluten free, dairy free