Avocado Toast recipes need a little upgrade. This fully loaded MEXICAN style smashed beans avocado toast recipe is Gluten Free, Vegan Friendly loaded with Flavor!! A simple, yet spicy, meatless meal, breakfast, or even a healthy appetizer.
Hold up, wait a minute, Let us put some
boom beeeeeans in it! Um ya, that genius song is gonna make your Monday. You’re welcome! And this Smashed Mexican Beans on Avocado Toast Recipe is totally BOOMIN! Avocado toast recipes are some of the easiest and healthiest breakfasts around. But this.. this gluten free Mexican smashed beans avocado toast recipe is taking that toast to a whole new level. Am I right? Or is Avocado Toast totally last year? Nah, it will never go out of style, they just need to be fully loaded. Meaning… SPICY, tripled layered, and can be a considered a WHOLE meal . Oh, and vegan, gluten free, yada yada yada.
I’m feeling quite feisty today, can you tell? Ever since I got back from Moab I feel like a whole new person. I feel refreshed! More on that topic later. Back to the beans. You see, I’m also posting this spicy Beans on Avocado Toast recipe because I still have a boat load of one pot Mexican Style Beans.
In fact, this extra boat load has been put to use for meal prep meals!
Hey, when life gives you beans, you make …. BEANS on EVERYTHING.
Actually the beans on toast, avocado toast, is totally a Kiwi (my husband) thing. Beans on toast was his staple meal growing up. Baked beans with ketchup on white bread. If you are from New Zealand, England, or Australia, you totally get this. Yup. But I’m still in shock. I feel like this type of childhood “favorite” meal needed a SERIOUS upgrade.
Therefore, I give you the new age 21st century version. You know, allergy friendly and all!
Smashed Mexican Beans on Avocado Toast.
What’s in it? Glad you asked.
We got the gluten free toast and avocado.. obviously.
But then, then we got FULLY LOADED part. The part that bulks up the fiber, protein, healthy fats, nutrients, and flavor pizzaz!
- Mexican Style Pinto Beans
- Tomatillos (you so need to try these if you haven’t yet)
- Cumin – the new SUPER PUMPED Seed. Pumped as in IRON source. Cumin seeds are naturally rich in iron (source). In fact, just One teaspoon of ground cumin contains 1.4 mg of iron. More plant based iron to NOURISH that body!
- Chili Pepper or Red jalapeños (they do exist!). But don’t worry, you can use green ones. No problemo!
- Olive oil to drizzle!
So to make this avocado toast, first you gotta mash those beans with other flavors. I used a food processor so it was better texture.
After you get that perfect mash, you toast your bread, then start the layering process.
Smashed avocado, then mashed Mexican Beans, then the tomatillo, then the tomato, then the cilantro. Then drizzle with a little olive oil or avocado oil. A pinch of extra salt and pepper to season more.
Smashed Mexican Beans Avocado Toast Recipe. A Gluten Free, Vegan Friendly Avocado Toast Recipe loaded with simple, yet spicy, ingredients. Make for a main meal or even a healthy appetizer!
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans (I used my [url] Mexican Beans ∞https://www.cottercrunch.com/mexican-style-one-pot-beans-vegetarian-option/[/url] recipe. Or see notes for Organic Canned Beans)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chili pepper or jalapeno,
- 1/2 tsp Salt and pepper each (divided)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 6 slices Gluten Free bread
- 1 tsp oil (if toasting bread in oven)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomatillo – sliced thin
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes (small handful cut into quarters)
- Olive Oil to drizzle
- Any additional spices to sprinkle on top -optional. example chili powder, red pepper flakes, onion powder, or Mexican seasoning, etc.
- First Blend together the first 6 ingredients (beans, 2 garlic cloves, chili pepper/jalapeno, 1/4 salt/pepper, onion, and paprika. Best to use a blender or food processor. You will want to Pulse in processor until mixture is “smashed” or mashed like. See pictures.
- Once blended, taste to see if needs to more salt/pepper and adjust. Set aside in small bowl or container.
- Toast your bread in a toaster, toaster oven or conventional oven. I found it tasted best in oven on a sheet pan. Just preheat oven to 350F. Add 1 tsp oil to each slice, place on sheet pan, then toast for 10 minutes on each side.
- Once you have your bread toasted, remove and layer to make your avocado toast recipe.
- Add 1-2 tbsp mashed avocado on toast.
- Next spread 2-3 tbsp of your mashed Mexican bean mix on top..
- Place a few slices of tomatillo on top of each bread along with and cherry tomatoes.
- Cilantro to garnish.
- Additional Mexican seasoning of choice, Salt, cracked pepper, and then drizzle olive oil on top of each avocado toast.
- There will be extra Smashed Mexican bean spread. Store in air tight container in fridge until you are ready to eat again. It make s a great dip too!
- For breakfast avocado toast, just add an egg on top! For quick beans, you can use Organic Canned Pinto Beans
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 4.3g
- Sodium: 148.5mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 29.3g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.3mg
Keywords: avocado toast recipe, Mexican beans, easy gluten free meals, vegan avocado toast recipe
Just to note: As mentioned in the Mexican Style one pot beans recipe, soaking your beans prior to slow cooking will help you DIGEST them better. Easier digestion will also help INCREASE nutrient absorption. Hence all the fully loaded ingredients in on this toast. You’re gonna get more bang for your buck here folks. So load ‘er up!
I also might have added a fried egg on top. You can see the results for that EGG on toast in the Mexican Style Beans Post. Or click HERE ! Ekk, sorry, that total ruins the vegan option. But to each is own, right?
Breakfast, appetizer, lunch, whatever. It’s an avocado toast recipe that completes your life, especially on this meatless Monday!
What’s your best avocado toast recipe?
LAY IT ON ME! And beans beans… I need more ideas for that TOO(T)! Haha, see what I did there? You’re welcome!