This avocado toast recipe is crave-worthy! Smashed beets and gluten free fried avocado on gluten-free toast with homemade onion aioli. A crispy, buttery, healthy breakfast in 20 minutes.
Happy Monday!! Ya’ll, are you just as tired as I am? Dog days of summer are here, that’s for sure. But also, HOT. Like so hot I can’t stop sweating and gonna need all the ice cream to stay cool! Haha. That’s Texas for ya! Hot weather and fried foods. Well.. we can at least change one of those things today.
Fried foods. How about we forgo the deep fryer and instead start off this week with an EPIC fried avocado toast recipe. Fried yes, healthy… HELL (cause it’s that hot) yes! Smashed beets with fried avocado toast and Onion Aioli.
WAIT WAIT, don’t run off. I promise the word “fried” and “aioli” should not be intimidating with avocado toast. In fact, they are the complete opposite. EASY, BREEZY, and yes I’m cheezy. Can you hang? Haha. Okay, I will get real for the rest of this post.
Avocado toast.. the new oatmeal of 2016. Trendy trendy.
I’m fine with these types of trends. Healthy. Simple. And you can totally jazz it up or play it safe, ya know? Avocado toast with berries, eggs, spicy sauce, whatever! Just go search the hash tag #avocadotoast on intsagram and find out for yourself!
My crazy Cotter Avocado toast recipe was actually inspired by my time in New Zealand. Go figure. As if I don’t talk about that place enough. Anyway, there is an AMAZING gourmet burger joint call Burger Fuel in New Zealand. They have the best flavors of grass-fed burgers and vegan burgers, not to mention the different types of aioli to go with it.
Oh and fried pumpkin bites called “motobites.” GLUTEN FREE options for almost each menu item! It’s our ABSOLUTE favorite place. Our goal is to make it an American franchise, someday. But until then, I will just keep trying drooling over their creations and recreating my own versions here.
Gluten Free Fried Avocado Toast Recipe
Hence this Smashed beet and gluten free fried avocado toast with onion aioli.
I do realize that this is just toast, but it’s toast inspired by trendy food and worldwide flavors. Which makes it EPIC, right? Haha.
Please don’t feel intimidated by the cooking process. It’s easier than making pancakes. Simply coat the underripe avocado slices in egg, coconut flour, and almond meal, then fry in a pan with coconut oil or butter. It’s MAGICAL!
Then you add that to smashed beets on toast.
You can cook and smash the beets yourself, but if you’re in a hurry, use canned beets.
Here’s my tip. Buy organic canned beets, drain them, slightly heat them in a microwave, then mash them in a bowl. See? It’s so simple!
The aioli is optional but also SUPER easy to make. Just blend one room temperature egg yolk with sweet onion, oil, and vinegar until a thick consistency is formed. You can easily make this egg free and turn it into more of a dressing.Print
This gluten-free fried avocado toast recipe makes a healthy lunch or snack. You can cook and smash beets yourself, but if you’re in a hurry, use canned organic beets. SO easy!
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 egg
- butter or coconut oil (1 tbsp)
- 1 avocado (underripe works best)
- 3/4 cup cooked beets, mashed
- 4 slices of gluten-free toast
- sea salt/pepper to taste
For the ONION AIOLI:
- 1 shallot or 1/4 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1/3 cup cold olive oil
- 1 egg yolk (room temp), or 2 tbsp mayo
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp cold water
For the Fried Avocado Toast
- Remove the skin and core from the avocados and cut each into even slices/wedges. Place the coconut flour, almond flour and egg into three different bowls.
- Dip each wedge in coconut flour, then in the whisked egg, and then last the almond meal/flour.
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter or oil in a large cast iron or frying pan over medium heat. Add your avocado wedges in and gently fry cook until they are browned and crispy both sides. A few minutes of each. Feel free to working batches. Remove and place on plate.
- Toast your bread and place on plate.
- In a small bowl, smash your cooked beets with a fork. If you are using canned beets, then drain extra juice first and after smashing.
- season with sea salt/pepper to your liking.
For the Onion Aioli
- Add egg yolk and chopped onion to the bowl of a food processor. Blend on low. Keep it running on low then SLOWLY add in cold oil. If you pour too quickly, the aioli will not emulsify properly.
- Add vinegar, mustard, and spices and blend. If it’s too thick, add a 1/2 tbsp of cold water.
- If you don’t want to use a raw egg, substitute 1-2 tbsp mayo.
- Place 1/4 cup mashed beets on toast. Add a few slices of fried avocado, then drizzle aioli on top! REPEAT and enjoy!
- Store the leftover aioli in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- If you don’t want to use raw egg, replace with 2 tbsp mayo.
Nutrition per slice varies depending on the brand and type of bread used. We use Udi’s Gluten Free which is 80 calories per slice. Paleo Bread is usually around 80-120 calories per slice
- Category: breakfast
- Method: fry
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 290.6mg
- Fat: 23.7g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 17.8g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Cholesterol: 100.2mg
Keywords: avocado toast, gluten-free breakfast, fried avocado
Gluten-Free Breakfast Toast
In all seriousness, this avocado toast recipe is one you will want to make for breakfast on the weekend and keep extra for lunches. The crispy fried avocado will melt perfectly into the sweet onion aioli when you take the first bite. I do not lie folks. It’s also gluten-free and definitely can be made dairy-free, paleo, or grain free if you’d like. Just swap out a few ingredients! No prob!
Healthy Fats, gluten-free carbs, anti-inflammatory rich vegetables = POWERHOUSE toast with the most!
So who’s feeling avocado TOAST(Y) today? Would you ever try fried avocado? Do it… life changer!
Avocado toast lovers… what’s your go-to topping?
Plain Jane or do you spice it up? Someone teach me how to do that avocado rose. I’ll pay you in healthy bites… mmm k?
Other meatless TOASTS you should try for TOAST TUESDAY… just sayin.