Mushroom Bacon Breakfast Toast is a plant-based, gluten-free breakfast recipe that will transform the way you think of toast for breakfast! A vegan bacon substitute, made from smoky mushrooms, sits on a bed of hummus with tomato and fresh herbs. This healthy hummus toast is full of protein, fiber, and flavor.
This mushroom bacon breakfast toast recipe post is sponsored by Sabra Hummus. Thanks for supporting the brands that help to keep healthy, gluten-free recipes coming your way!
Ya’ll, the days of eating dry, boring toast for breakfast are over. There’s a new gluten-free breakfast toast trend, and its mission is to help us fall in love with breakfast! Breakfast TOAST to be exact.
Okay so maybe this is not a new trend, but an old trend coming back to life. I’m all for REAL FOOD trends with a comfort food, plant-based focus. Resourcefulness at it’s finest. Plus, more veggies never hurt. Am I right?
Let’s take a look back at the “trending” toast recipe from the CK (aka Cotter Kitchen). I know, I’m clever.
It’s true, we make a LOT of gluten free toast. Sometimes it’s for snacking or meatless meals, like Smashed Mexican Beans Avocado Toast, while other times it’s an appetizer toast, like Creamy Garlic Herb Mushroom Toast. Heck, we’ve even turned toast into a snack and chip vessel for this hummus dip! All with leftover toast. Gah, can’t beat that hummus goodness!
That being said, I think it’s about time we share a breakfast toast recipe, don’t you think? After all, you know what they say? Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day! In my opinion, breakfast is the most versatile meal of the day, and thank goodness for that.
Like most of my recipes, this Mushroom Bacon Breakfast Toast is gluten free, and it’s vegan, too.
Yes, there IS such a thing as vegan bacon and it’s going to blow your mind!
What is vegan bacon??
Vegan bacon (sometimes called veggie bacon, or facon… fake bacon, get it? haha) is a vegetarian/vegan bacon alternative.
There are a few different varieties of vegan bacon available. Sometimes it’s made with strips of tempeh or tofu, seasoned with liquid smoke. It can also be made from rice paper or slices of eggplant.
For the breakfast toast recipe, we’ll use mushrooms to make that fakin’ bacon!
How do you make Mushroom Bacon?
Simple! First will be dehydrating thinly sliced mushrooms in the oven, tossing them halfway. This gives the mushroom a crispy like texture, similar to the real deal, bacon!
After that, you season and caramelize. I coated the mushrooms in a bit of liquid smoke and coconut sugar, popped them back in the oven, and baked for 5 more minutes. OH MY GOSH, totally tastes like maple bacon.
When vegan bacon mushrooms sit with creamy hummus and blistered tomatoes on a slice of gluten free toast, it’s tasty enough that you may want it for breakfast every single day! Just sayin’.
Oh, and one last vegan bacon tip! If you bake the mushroom slices twice (like I did), they will become extra crispy and can be broken down into bits. Mushroom bacon bits for the win! Thanks to Serious Eats for the vegan recipe inspiration!
Mushroom Bacon Breakfast Toast with Hummus
So, do you want to know just how healthy and wholesome this breakfast toast is? Haha, I thought you might! 😉
- Mushroom Bacon – Good source of vitamin D – Do you know that mushrooms are the only fruit or vegetable source with the ability to absorb vitamin D when exposed to sunlight? Yep, just like humans! Another nerdy nutrition fact is that oyster mushrooms are a good source of plant-based, non-heme iron.
- Hummus – Tahini, plus chickpea, plus olive oil = healthy fats and plant protein to boot! Yep, these unsaturated fats have been shown to support cardiovascular health. Chickpeas contribute fiber, protein, iron and B vitamins. Tahini provides poly and monounsaturated fats, fiber, protein, and minerals. You can find more amazing nutritional facts about hummus HERE, from Sabra themselves!
- Tomatoes – Loaded with lycopene, offering defense against oxidative damage to lipids, proteins, and DNA.
- Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread – B vitamins and fiber.
- Fresh Herbs – Basil and parsley each have antimicrobial properties.
- Paprika – Just like my beloved turmeric, paprika is another fantastic anti-inflammatory spice!
Dear reader, dear friend. Have I convinced you to jump on the trendy breakfast toast train with mushroom bacon and hummus toast? I sense you nodding and shouting “oh heck yes!
Good, let’s shake and fakin bake. 🙂
Mushroom Bacon Breakfast Toast with hummus! A plant-based, gluten free breakfast recipe that will transform the way you think of toast!
For the Smoky Vegan Bacon (Mushroom Bacon)
- 1 1/4 cup or 6 ounces finely diced or chopped mushrooms (shiitake or oyster mushrooms work best). For quick crispier mushroom bacon, use dried mushrooms.
- Olive oil to drizzle
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika and/or 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/8 tsp onion powder or garlic powder (or pinch of both!)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or maple syrup
For the breakfast toast –
- 4–5 pieces Gluten free whole grain bread –
- 1/2 c + plain hummus or garlic hummus (Sabra)
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Chopped Herbs (fresh parsley or basil to top)
- kosher salt and pepper
- Olive oil to drizzle
Other Optional toppings –
- Nutritional yeast “for Cheesy” taste
- Large sea salt flakes or smoked sea salt flakes
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Cracked black pepper or peppercorns
FIRST: See instructions for making toast to save time on meal prep in the oven!
For the smoky mushroom vegan bacon:
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or well oiled the sheet pan.
- Finely chop the mushrooms into smaller pieces and place on sheet in a single layer. Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil on top of mushrooms and season with kosher salt and optional pepper.
- Place mushroom in the oven and bake for 12- 15 minutes. After 12- 15 minutes, remove from the oven and toss or carefully flip mushrooms over. Return mushrooms to the oven and continue cooking until browned and crispy, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Place mushrooms in a bowl or plate and blot the oil off. Then toss with coconut sugar or maple syrup, garlic and/or onion powder, smoked paprika, and optional liquid smoke. Return mushroom back to the pan and in the oven to caramelize. about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove and set aside for breakfast toast topping.
Make your breakfast toast –
- Before returning the mushrooms to the oven the second time, prep the a sheet pan with your toast and tomatoes. Oil the pan and place toast on top and tomatoes in a foil pack or on another pan. The toast and the tomatoes pan will be placed on top or bottom rack. All can cook in the oven at the same time I like to place the toast and tomatoes in a separate pan and bake with the last 10 minutes. The tomatoes will blister and soften. The toast will brown.
- After the toast and mushrooms are ready, layer your ingredients.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of hummus on each piece of toast, then add a few blistered tomatoes, followed by vegan mushroom bacon bits, herbs, and cracked pepper, sea salt.
- Repeat for each piece of toast.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: toast/bake
- Cuisine: american fusion
Keywords: toast, breakfast, vegan, bacon, vegan bacon, hummus, gluten free, healthy
Hummus and mushrooms for breakfast! Now that’s how we start off meatless Monday, with a bang!
What’s your favorite breakfast toast?