Mushroom Bacon Breakfast Toast with hummus! A plant-based, gluten free breakfast recipe that will transform the way you think of toast!
For the Smoky Vegan Bacon (Mushroom Bacon)
- 1 1/4 cup or 6 ounces finely diced or chopped mushrooms (shiitake or oyster mushrooms work best). For quick crispier mushroom bacon, use dried mushrooms.
- Olive oil to drizzle
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika and/or 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/8 tsp onion powder or garlic powder (or pinch of both!)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or maple syrup
For the breakfast toast –
- 4–5 pieces Gluten free whole grain bread –
- 1/2 c + plain hummus or garlic hummus (Sabra)
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Chopped Herbs (fresh parsley or basil to top)
- kosher salt and pepper
- Olive oil to drizzle
Other Optional toppings –
- Nutritional yeast “for Cheesy” taste
- Large sea salt flakes or smoked sea salt flakes
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Cracked black pepper or peppercorns
FIRST: See instructions for making toast to save time on meal prep in the oven!
For the smoky mushroom vegan bacon:
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or well oiled the sheet pan.
- Finely chop the mushrooms into smaller pieces and place on sheet in a single layer. Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil on top of mushrooms and season with kosher salt and optional pepper.
- Place mushroom in the oven and bake for 12- 15 minutes. After 12- 15 minutes, remove from the oven and toss or carefully flip mushrooms over. Return mushrooms to the oven and continue cooking until browned and crispy, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Place mushrooms in a bowl or plate and blot the oil off. Then toss with coconut sugar or maple syrup, garlic and/or onion powder, smoked paprika, and optional liquid smoke. Return mushroom back to the pan and in the oven to caramelize. about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove and set aside for breakfast toast topping.
Make your breakfast toast –
- Before returning the mushrooms to the oven the second time, prep the a sheet pan with your toast and tomatoes. Oil the pan and place toast on top and tomatoes in a foil pack or on another pan. The toast and the tomatoes pan will be placed on top or bottom rack. All can cook in the oven at the same time I like to place the toast and tomatoes in a separate pan and bake with the last 10 minutes. The tomatoes will blister and soften. The toast will brown.
- After the toast and mushrooms are ready, layer your ingredients.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of hummus on each piece of toast, then add a few blistered tomatoes, followed by vegan mushroom bacon bits, herbs, and cracked pepper, sea salt.
- Repeat for each piece of toast.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: toast/bake
- Cuisine: american fusion
Keywords: toast, breakfast, vegan, bacon, vegan bacon, hummus, gluten free, healthy