This flavorful Tortilla Chicken Verde Chili is made easy in the instant pot or stove top! A delicious chicken chili packed with wholesome gluten free ingredients and a crunchy tortilla chip topping! You’ll love this healthier twist on a classic Mexican inspired Chili! No beans required.
Hey hey! It’s National Chili day! We’ve partnered with Garden of Eatin’® to bring you this Instant Pot (or Stove Top) Tortilla Chicken Verde Chili made with their new Organic Corn Chips! We are thankful for their wonderful gluten free products handled exclusively in a dedicated gluten free facility. And thank you all for allowing me to continue to share gluten free recipes!
Ok, I need to know something. Who creates National Food Holidays? Because I want that job! You see, I just found out a few weeks ago that today is National Chili Day. Um, hence the Chicken Verde Chili recipe. I know, so clever of me, but it’s such a scrumptious and cozy chili. Trust me!
In all honestly, I do WANT TO KNOW who is in charge of these food holidays so I can pass along my two cents. Like say, a National Tortilla Chip Day to proceed National Chili Day. And then maybe a national Jalapeño on Everything Day after that. Can you tell that I have warming foods on my mind? Yep, old man winter is stickin around these days.
Alright, let’s bring our focus back into this deliciousness we got going on right here. My friends, this is a stovetop and instant pot (aka Insta-Pot) Chicken Verde Chili that will literally blow your mind! No matter the Food Holiday.
Here’s the recipe back-story and all the details. You know you love me more for it. Wink Wink.
You see, every winter mom makes this AMAZING White Bean Chicken Chili. It’s a go-to recipe for family dinners, football watching parties, Christmas, etc. In fact, it’s the number one used recipe in our family cookbook. Haha, yes, we have a family cookbook.
Anyways, I do love this recipe but I wanted to find a way to make it beanless, yet still hearty and flavorful. Now, don’t get me wrong. We love legumes (such as beans), but I like to use them in rotation or when properly prepared. You feel me? Good!
Chef hat and thinking cap went on, and BAM, I came up with a solution. Well, let’s just say it was a solution inspired by Garden of Eatin’® new Organic Corn Chips.
For this Chili recipe, I wanted something quick, delicious, fresh, and yet still hearty in texture. Yep, you got that right. We replaced beans with Organic Non-GMO Corn chips and gluten free tortillas.
The delicious facts Garden of Eatin’® New “Better for YOU” Corn Chips:
- They come in 3 flavors; Yellow Corn and Sea Salt, Blue Corn and Sea Salt, and BBQ Black Bean. ALL YUM!
- Their organic corn chips are made USDA Organic ingredients and are Non-GMO Project verified. YEA!
- Certified gluten-free and kosher
- Made with expeller pressed oil
- Amazing texture, quality, and crispness for topping, snacking, or cooking with!
The yellow corn chips are cooked in the chili and are used as a topping! I love that it gives this chili that golden glow too!
See, inspiration at it’s finest! Just sayin..
Think of this Chili flavor this way —> Spicy Chicken Verde Chili meets Tortilla Soup meets Chilaquiles. If you don’t know what Chilaquiles are, be prepared to drool! A Mexican Breakfast dish with crispy tortilla chips, pulled chicken (or eggs), salsa, and cheese. OMG!
So ya, I kinda took Tortilla Chicken Verde Chili to the next level, but in a delicious way!
Need more Southwest Style Instant Pot recipes? Let’s all give an applause to Meaningful Eats Instant Pot Southwestern Chicken and Rice!
You ready to celebrate National Chili Day like it’s going out of style? Ya you are!
Before you begin, here are a few CHILI recipe notes –> This Tortilla Chicken Verde Chili is made quick and easy in the instant pot but you can also easily make it on the stove top. Both versions take less than an 40 minutes to make. The instant pot being the quickest at 20 minutes.
All you need are gluten free corn chips (Garden of Eatin’® ), gluten free tortillas or corn tortillas, chicken (boneless, skinless to shred), salsa verde, broth, a can of green chiles, bell peppers, and Mexican spices! Cilantro, lime, jalapeños, and more Non-Gmo corn chips to top!Print
This Spicy Tortilla Chicken Verde Chili is made easy in the instant pot or stove top! A delicious chicken chili packed with wholesome gluten free ingredients and a crunchy tortilla chip topping!
- 1 lb chicken (boneless, skinless) thighs or rotisserie chicken meat (skinless)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 3/4 to 1 tsp ground cumin (divided)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 1/4 cup salsa verde
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional garlic powder
- 4 ounces green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 chopped medium gluten tortillas (or corn tortillas) chopped or 1 cup non-GMO corn chips (like Garden of Eatin’® ) crushed to stir in.
- Optional Extra Veggie mix-ins – 2/3 cups Chopped cauliflower (or riced) or corn.
- Organic Gluten Free Corn chips top
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS (Stove top directions to follow)
- Place chicken in instant pot with olive oil with 1/4 tsp cumin, minced garlic, and chopped onion. Sauté chicken for 6 minutes until chicken can be shredded, but not fully cooked. Just not pink.
- Turn off sauté mode and shred chicken with fork.
- Add in the chopped bell pepper, optional chopped cauliflower or corn (or cauliflower rice also works well), and the remaining ingredients besides topping (salsa verde, Sea salt and black pepper, garlic powder, 1/2 tsp more cumin, green chiles, broth, gluten tortillas (or corn tortillas) chopped or 1 cup non-GMO corn chips. Mix together.
- Pressure cook mode for 8-10 minutes then slow release for 10 minutes.
- Mix and keep on warm.
- Serve into bowls with slices jalapeno, optional crumbled Mexican cheese. Splash of lime. Lime slices and organic yellow corn chips to top.
For Stove Top:
- Brown meat first with onion, garlic, and olive oil for 15 minutes on medium to medium high heat until onion is browned and chicken is almost cooked and can be shred.
- Shred chicken with a fork, lightly.
- Add remaining ingredients (besides toppings).
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve into bowls and add your topping of choice or suggested toppings.
See notes for Storing or freezing tips.
Store in closed container in fridge for up to 1 week or freezer for up to 3 months.
Estimated Nutrition Per Serving, without toppings
- Serving Size: 1
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Sodium: 965.9mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 21.5g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 75.2mg
Keywords: chicken verde chili, chili, Instant Pot, gluten free, healthy
It’s time my friends, time to grab a bowl and fully embrace the National Food Holidays!
Starting with Tortilla Chicken Chili
Alright alright, you can chime in. What’s your favorite food holiday? Favorite chili recipe?Loving this Tortilla Chicken Verde Chili topped with organic corn chips!Click To Tweet