Tropical Beet Smoothie with macadamia nuts! It’s healthy, creamy, delicious, and fruity. Our favorite endurance boosting drink, full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and healthy fats. Perfect tropical drink recipe for summer too!
Can I let you in on a little confession? Um.. we have a serious smoothie consumption problem. No really, our blender is on it’s last leg. But I must say, it’s ridiculously hot here in the summer and with the kiwi taking on more coaching and one on one training outdoors, the best way to get in good nutrients and keep him (us) hydrated is by drinking smoothies. All the live long day. haha!
Okay, I may be exaggerating a bit. We don’t live on smoothies alone, but they are a serious MUST come Texas summer. In fact, many of my husband’s athletes will ask me for smoothie recipes because they can’t seem to get enough good calories or nutrients in along with their training come summer. They are up early to train to beat the high heat but are still effected by the crazy humidity! Plus they stay out later with friends, family, etc. Life is BUSY and full of activity!
Being active and outside enjoying summer and training is a good thing, but with all that comes the EXTRA need for support. Just like in winter, when our bodies need immunity boosting and Vitamin D, the summer season brings in a whole new need of nutrients for the body. Like minerals to replenish electrolytes, Vitamin C for overall health, and natural occurring nitrates (like the ones found in beet root) to support oxygen to those BUSY BODY muscles.
You see where I am going with this?
Another POWERFUL purposeful smoothie! We call this Tropical Beet Smoothie the “ultimate Endurance Booster!”
Let’s get the nitty gritty now and dissect each ingredient, mmm k?
What’s in this Tropical Beet Smoothie Recipe and WHY?
- Beet Juice – contain nitrates, which your body converts to nitric oxide. Nitric Oxide is a molecule that can enhance blood flow and blood vessel dilation. Hence why it’s great for ENDURANCE!
- Banana – Good carbs, glycogen, and potassium (minerals needed electrolyte balance)
- Fresh Squeezed Orange or Pineapple Juice- Vitamin C
- Coconut oil – MCT fats great for metabolism and instant energy. More about that in this post.
- Macadamia nuts or nut butter – rich source of monounsaturated fats. These are the healthy fats that are great for heart health. Macadamia nuts are also rich in minerals like Vitamin B1, Copper, and Manganese. Another reason we really love macadamia nuts or oil is that it has a low oxidation rate, compared to other nuts and oils. It’s a mighty fine fat! In fact, new research has found that macadamia nut oil can actually help reduce inflammation. See source here and here.
- Bonus talk —> Something this pretty just has to be good for you, right? I mean, look at that COLOR!
Done with my nerdy nutrition talk? Ya, me too.
Time to get the blender started and drink up a beet smoothie!Print
Tropical Beet Smoothie with Mac Nuts. Great for endurance and recovery! Healthy, nourishing.
- 1/2 cup fresh beet juice
- 1/2 cup fresh squeeze orange or pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp mac nut butter or crushed mac nuts (optional in smoothie or as topping)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup up almond milk or coconut milk (optional)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- Dash of sea salt
- Optional sweetener – maple syrup
- Optional protein add in – 1/2 scoop of vanilla or berry protein.
- Blend your fruit and ice first with juices, then add in your oils, milk, and dash of salt if desired.
Tropical Beet smoothie with mac nut! A great endurance booster and paleo/vegan friendly! Not to mention healthy, creamy, delicious, and fruity! @cottercrunch
Want more powerful and purposeful Smoothie ideas? I’ve got ya covered.
Now that my confession is off the table, I’d love to hear yours.
What’s your go to summer smoothie or a smoothie your use specifically for training/workouts?
Have you ever used mac nut butter or oil? I’m open to more suggestions, always!
Now excuse me while I go try to clean the beet juice up from my white shirt. Whoops!