Coconut Milk Chicken with Jalapeño Mango Chutney! This dairy free and gluten free marinated chicken recipe is quick and tasty. It uses a coconut milk marinade for moist, delicious chicken. Top it with spicy mango chutney for a an easy weeknight meal that’s healthy and nourishing.
As you can tell, my husband and I love ethnic dishes. And apparently I’m on a spicy ethnic cooking kick. Thai, Mexican, and now this Indian inspired coconut milk chicken with jalapeño mango chutney. Oh yes, we love Indian spices and jalapeño in everything. POWER anti-inflammatory food combos if you ask me! Haha.
But Y’all, I will confess, I half the reason I make these types of dishes are because…..
- ONE –> I love the colors. I’m a visual person. The more vibrant the food, the healthier and tastier it is, right?
- TWO —> These simple REAL FOOD ingredients combined make amazing flavors.
- And THREE —> I’m always surprised at just how quick and simple these type of dishes are to make. Yes, even despite how “technical” or “fancy” they sound ..
- Oh and FOUR —> They are usually super easy to make food allergy friendly. Meaning gluten free, Paleo, and/or dairy free. Bonus points for Cotter Crunch Reader’s!
Which brings me to this coconut milk chicken with mango chutney. Seriously a match made in heaven, and it takes little effort.
Have you ever heard of milk marinated chicken before? What about buttermilk chicken? No not buttermilk biscuits and chicken (although that sounds fab!), but using actual buttermilk as a marinade.
Well, this Coconut Milk Chicken is the same concept, but marinated with coconut milk, obviously. It gives the chicken a sweet flavor and while also making it extra moist (cue awkward word to type). Marinating the chicken in coconut will also help tame the mango jalapeño chutney if you decide to keep the seeds in. Which we did and LOVED! So ya, coconut milk is amazing in this Indian inspired dish. Spicy yes, but not overly spicy.
Let’s talk about that mango jalapeño chutney and key nutrition points here.
Coconut, mango, jalapeños, and fresh herbs, oh my! These are the perfect ADDITIONS to a pretty perfect balanced meal.
Here’s my Jeopardy and nerdy nutrition voice…
DO YOU KNOW THAT THIS COCONUT MILK CHICKEN is rich in ZINC?
Yes, and this Zinc found Chicken (poultry) contains a protein that helps transport Vitamin A from Vitamin rich foods, such as Mango and Jalapeño.
Which means you can improve your eyesight and read more of my posts. Haha, kidding. But really, how cool is that? Also, Mango is rich in magnesium and potassium. Totally need those electrolytes during the hot months! Phew!
And lastly, Mango contains an enzyme that can help break down protein.
See… now you know why this mango chutney is a MUST with coconut milk chicken. ALL the healthy digestion and feel good facts.
Plus it’s just SUPER DUPER delicious. Yup!
Coconut Milk Chicken with Jalapeño Mango Chutney
This Coconut Milk Chicken Recipe with jalapeno mango chutney is super easy, healthy, and makes it perfect for a weeknight meal.
For the Coconut Milk Chicken
- Three 4-5oz skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup coconut milk or cream
- ginger zest (grated)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- oil if using skillet (1 tbsp or so)
- 1/4 c shredded coconut (to toast for topping)
for the chutney
- 1 mango peeled and sliced
- 1 shallot sliced or 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- juice of lime 1-2 tbsp
- 1 jalapeno (chopped)- remove seeds if you don't want spicy.
- 1 tsp of salt
- optional 2 tsp fresh ginger
- First, place chicken in a baking dish or ziplock bag and cover with milk. Let it marinade in fridge for 3 hrs or up to 24 hrs.
- Once marinated, you can discard the coconut milk, reserving a few tablespoons. Then place chicken breasts in a skillet or in a baking dish with 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- If cooking on stove top cook for about 20 minutes on medium high heat or until no longer pink inside and internal temperature reaches 160F. Add a few tbsp of the reserved coconut milk if desired, to moisten.
- If cooking in oven place in an oiled baking dish and cook in oven at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Feel free to add a few tbsp of coconut milk on top before baking as well.
- While the chicken is cooking, make your chutney and toast your coconut. Simply spread your shredded coconut on foil and place in oven for 1 minute or 2. No longer than 1 or 2 minutes because it will burn. You can also use toaster oven.
For the chutney See video in post or instructions below.
- Cut up all your veggies and mango. Place all in ingredients except cilantro in a medium pot. Cook on medium high until fruit and jalapeños softened. The mangos will start to brown. Be sure to keep stirring. Cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove and place all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse a few times until ingredients are mixed but still chunky and thick.
- Garnish with Cilantro.
- Store chutney in airtight container in fridge for up to 10 – 12 days. Chutney Serves 4
- Place 1/4 cup or less of chutney on cooked coconut milk chicken. Sprinkle your toasted coconut and grated ginger on top of each chicken breast.
- Add any extra salt/pepper/garlic if desired
- Goes great with a fragrant basmati rice and steam veggies!
Toasted coconut is optional but it does give a nice crunch!
The chutney is great to make in a big batch or keep small batches in fridge. Great on so many things!
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunch
or hashtag #cottecrunch
Nutrition for 4oz coconut milk chicken with 1/4 cup chutney
Okay, so just because I LOVE YOU and I LOVE CHUTNEY, here’s a quick video on how to make it. You should know that adding the vinegar helps it last longer in the fridge. Plus it gives it a nice tang. WOO! love that! EAT UP Ya’ll!
ALL TOGETHER NOW! VIOLA! Marinated Coconut Milk Chicken with a little MANGO TANGO!
Sorry, got excited, all caps…
Obviously I love and ethnic flavors with marinated chicken. Here are a few more chicken recipes to try!
Now that I’ve blinded you with all colors from recipe photos, tell me… ever marinated chicken or another protein in coconut milk? Chutney fans.. are you?
Crazy Wednesday Complete.