This Coconut Milk Chicken Recipe with jalapeno mango chutney is super easy, healthy, and makes it perfect for a weeknight meal.
For the Coconut Milk Chicken:
- Three skinless chicken breasts, 4-5 oz each
- 1/3 cup coconut milk or cream
- ginger zest (grated)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- oil if using a skillet (1 tbsp or so)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (to toast for topping)
for the chutney:
- 1 mango peeled and sliced
- 1 shallot sliced or 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- juice of lime 1-2 tbsp
- 1 jalapeno (chopped)- remove seeds if you don’t want spicy.
- 1 tsp of salt
- optional 2 tsp fresh ginger
- First, place chicken in a baking dish or ziplock bag and cover with milk. Let it marinade in fridge for 3 hrs or up to 24 hrs.
- Once marinated, you can discard the coconut milk, reserving a few tablespoons. Then place chicken breasts in a skillet or in a baking dish with 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- If cooking on stove top cook for about 20 minutes on medium high heat or until no longer pink inside and internal temperature reaches 160F. Add a few tbsp of the reserved coconut milk if desired, to moisten.
- If cooking in oven place in an oiled baking dish and cook in oven at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Feel free to add a few tbsp of coconut milk on top before baking as well.
- While the chicken is cooking, make your chutney and toast your coconut. Simply spread your shredded coconut on foil and place in oven for 1 minute or 2. No longer than 1 or 2 minutes because it will burn. You can also use a toaster oven.
For the chutney See video in post or instructions below.
- Cut up all your veggies and mango. Place all in ingredients except cilantro in a medium pot. Cook on medium high until fruit and jalapeños softened. The mangos will start to brown. Be sure to keep stirring. Cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove and place all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse a few times until ingredients are mixed but still chunky and thick.
- Garnish with Cilantro.
- Store chutney in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 – 12 days. Chutney Serves 4
- Place 1/4 cup or less of chutney on cooked coconut milk chicken. Sprinkle your toasted coconut and grated ginger on top of each chicken breast.
- Add any extra salt/pepper/garlic if desired
- Goes great with fragrant basmati rice and steamed veggies!
- Toasted coconut is optional but it does give a nice crunch!
- The chutney is great to make in a big batch or keep small batches in the fridge. Great on so many things!
- Nutrition shown below is for 4 oz coconut milk chicken with 1/4 cup chutney.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 4 oz chicken + 1/4 cup chutney
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 22.6g
- Sodium: 785mg
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 25.3g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 23.2g
- Cholesterol: 72.4mg
Keywords: coconut milk chicken, coconut milk marinade, Indian chicken recipes, gluten-free chicken, dairy-free chicken