Paleo Salmon Cakes are quick, easy to make, delicious meal or appetizer! These Salmon cakes are literally veggie packed and protein packed, not to mention whole30 friendly. No wasting leftovers here, just mix and throw on the skillet. Great for meal prep and freezer friendly.
Just letting you know this Easy Paleo Salmon Cakes recipe was originally published in December 2015. I retested, rephotographed, updated content. Now I am republishing it for you today! I hope you enjoy. Thank you for following Cotter Crunch Y’all!.
You know what? I am a little bummed. I actually can’t believe Christmas is so soon. I really want to slow down and enjoy the FULL swing of the season. Heck, I just started listening to the Christmas music station a couple weeks ago… sigh. That being said, I’ve decided to focus on celebrating this next month like no other! You with me?
Let’s start with Christmas/Holiday traditions. Do you have any? My family hosts a potluck party each year. It’s a night full of Holiday ham, appetizers, nana’s Jello Punch (don’t ask what’s in it, LOL!), giving a few gifts to the kiddos, and a white elephant gift exchange. It’s quite hilarious!
This year we will be flying in from Utah, the day of! So I decided my appetizer contributions will be in the form of QUICK and easy paleo salmon cakes. And no one will even know they are healthy! Besides, this salmon cakes appetizer goes along perfectly with the Christmas Eve Feast of the Seven Fishes. If you don’t know what the heck I’m talking about, just see wikipedia. Wiki knows it all.
Well, I’m not Italian, but I am all about starting new traditions. Especially Christmas themed food traditions. You see, our Christmas Eve party platters usually consist of shrimp cocktail, deviled eggs, and many other snacky holiday plates. But this year, I’m sneaking in the extra veggies. These easy peasy paleo salmon cakes are actually packed with veggies! Shhh.. just don’t tell the kiddos. Sure, I may be bias, but I’m also thinking non fish eating and non veggie eating folks would like these, too.
The addition of curry and herbs really make this salmon cakes recipe super flavorful. I mean who doesn’t love a good curry recipe, ya know?
Not a curry fan, try these Gluten Free Teriyaki Salmon Cakes from Gluten-free Palate! Ya, what’s not to love about those? YUM!
So why are paleo salmon cakes so perfect for the holidays?
Um, well, I’ll tell you. Nerdy Nutrition Nerd ALERT below!
First of all, one can only take so much ham and turkey, unless it’s Turkey Nachos. Obviously. Seafood is without a doubt a must have for your holiday table. Adding seafood to your holiday table (or diet in general) is that seafood is “FEEL GOOD” super food. Salmon is a superfood fish packed with selenium, the feel good hormone, tryptophan (we all know what that does), Omegas, and Vitamin D. Now, add an extra serving of seasonal vegetables to these Paleo salmon cakes and you got a SUPER nourishing dish. See, you feel good already, right? Quite perfect.
It’s wholesome, it’s healthy, it’s grain free, it’s made with simple REAL ingredients, and it’s flipping delicious.
Also, you can eat salmon cakes with your hands, but not look like a Paleolithic caveman. Haha, okay you’re allowed to use a fork, but grabbing a stack and eating them like a hand pie is totally allowed at my house. Whoa…. let’s dive on in before I get on another corny tangent.Print
Healthy Vegetable Packed Paleo Salmon Cakes! Super easy, super simple, super delicious! Great for a healthy meal, snacks, party appetizers, and are freezer friendly.
- 5 oz salmon (canned or finely diced cooked salmon, skin off) . See notes for specifics)
- 1/2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup sweet potato, squash, or pumpkin (pureed or mashed)
- 3 to 4 tbsp coconut flour (see notes)
- 1/4 tsp regular or smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp fine kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp curry powder (optional)
- 1 rosemary sprig or 1 tsp dried herb of choice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp oil or butter for the pan
- First mash up your salmon. If you are using fresh versus canned, remove any extra skin.
- Place your salmon in a bowl and then add in your mashed or pureed veggies (see notes for cooking options). You can used canned pumpkin or sweet potato for a fast prep. Mix together.
- Next add in coconut flour 1 tbsp at a time. You will need only 3-4 tbsp depending on the type of salmon you use. Then mix in herbs and seasonings. Mix Together.
- Lastly, add in your 2 eggs.
- Mix well until the batter is thick enough to get be able to form patties. If batter is too runny, add 1 tbsp more coconut flour.
- Form into 8 small balls or roll into larger 5-6 balls.
- Lay them on parchment paper.
- Press them into patties/cakes so they are around 1 inch thick.
- Now turn on your skillet to medium high. Add your butter or oil.
- Once heated, add in 3-4 patties/cakes at a time or less. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until you see the salmon is cooked thoroughly. If you are using canned salmon, they will cook faster.
- Remove from skillet. Add more 1 tsp more or so of butter/oil and repeat for the next batch of 3-4 patties/cakes.
- Garnish with extra rosemary, black pepper, chili flakes, or garlic if desired and serve with your choice of dip/sauce or as is.
- This dish pairs great with steam veggies. I added a sprinkle of Pomegranate seeds to make it more of a holiday dish.
If you choose to use fresh squash, simply cut squash in half, remove seeds, and place in a microwave safe bowl with 2 tbsp water. Cook on high for about 3-4 minutes. Scoop inside and then mash or puree with blender.
If you are using canned veggies, you might need to add that extra coconut flour or an egg white for binding.
Estimated Nutrition Per Salmon Cake varies depending on vegetables used
- Category: Main, Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cake
- Calories: 70
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 110mg
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
Keywords: paleo, salmon cakes, gluten free, freezer friendly, low carb, dairy free
What I am really trying to say is that you can have your “cake” and eat it too. Heck have multiple cakes .. with seafood! My new motto in life. Salmon, the cake of the sea!
So do you think my idea of sneaking in extra veggies and superfood seafood on Christmas Eve will go well? Better yet, do you think my southern family will approve of paleo food?
I remain hopeful! Stay tuned! Haha!
Want to try Paleo Salmon Cakes with an extra BOOST of PROTEIN and anti-inflammatory spices!?
You so should!
1 Minutes Paleo Salmon Cakes Recipe Video Tutorial with Ancient Nutrition Bone Broth!
Despite my talk of all things healthy and festive, I truly hope you can focus on the season that we all are in! The family and friends that surround you. The laughter that fills the air!.
Corny Cotter signing out…