Skip the frozen sections, and make your own tots from scratch with these easy Cauliflower Sweet Potato Tots, made in the air fryer or oven. They’re made with gluten-free ingredients and full of veggies for a nourishing kid-friendly recipe. Serve them as a side dish or easy snack! Vegan option.
Is there a more classic side dish than potatoes? Whether you’re eating sweet potato fries, a veggie burger, or baked sweet potato cauliflower patties, there seems to be a way to incorporate potatoes into any meal! Not to mention, everyone loves them, even kids! Admittedly, I”m no exception, and enjoy potatoes with just about any meal. So, I’m not sure why I didn’t think to make sweet potato tater tots sooner!
However, you should already know I didn’t make standard deep-fried tots! Of course, not. Instead, I took the traditional recipe, swapped out a few ingredients for added nutrition, and baked them for a good-for-you recipe that won’t leave you feeling heavy or sluggish. A combination of sweet potato tots and cauliflower tots, this recipe is perfect for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Dip them in your favorite sauces, add them to a breakfast hash, or serve them as a side to all your favorite dishes. However, you choose to eat them, you can’t go wrong!
Are Sweet Potato Tots Good For You?
While we can’t speak for all sweet potato tater tots, nothing is sweeter than these tots thanks to the combination of fresh produce and seasonings that leave you feeling great! Not only did we remove excess oils and preservatives, we also included nourishing ingredients not commonly found in most tots including:
Cauliflower – A sneaky inclusion to this recipe, cauliflower is used to limit the amount of starchy carbs from the sweet potato while also providing fiber and nutrients such as vitamin C and vitamin K!
Parmesan (or Nutritional Yeast) – Parmesan or nutritional yeast adds lots of flavor for tots so good you won’t even need a sauce.
Onion – Chopped into small pieces, onions add texture and a tasty caramelized flavor along with antioxidants, potassium, and vitamin C.
Egg (and Vegan Options) – Eggs are crucial to help hold the shape of your sweet potato tots and help keep you full by adding high-quality protein and healthy fats!
Arrowroot (or cornstarch) – Arrowroot is used as a gluten-free substitute for flour and also provides 100% of the daily recommended amount of folate!
…and of course, SWEET POTATOES! Sometimes given a bad reputation for containing a high amount of carbs, sweet potatoes are actually a great source of vitamins, nutrients, and fiber! Including them in your diet can help improve your gut health, improve your vision, boost your immune system, and more!
Nutrition Tip: In order to get the most benefits out of your sweet potatoes, try pairing them with healthy fats such as avocados, nuts and seeds, and oils to better absorb fat-soluble vitamins!
How to Make Sweet Potato Tater Tots
Don’t be intimidated by making your own tots! The process is actually super easy when you follow the steps below.
- Prepare the Potatoes. To start, peel the sweet potatoes, and cut them into small pieces before steaming them in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. You want it to be soft but not fully cooked. Place it in the food processor, and pulse until a shredded texture is formed. Then, use a hand towel or cheesecloth to squeeze out any extra moisture, and place the shreds in a large bowl.
- Steam the Cauliflower. Place the cauliflower rice in the microwave or on the stove top with the lid on, and steam for 2 minutes until it is al dente.
Pro-Tip: If using the stovetop, add 1 tablespoon of water to help the steaming process.
- Combine Ingredients. Once steamed, squeeze out any extra moisture from the cauliflower using a cheesecloth or paper towel, and add it to the bowl with the potato and all of the other ingredients (except the cooking spray). Then, combine all of the ingredients using your hands.
Note: It is crucial to squeeze out as much moisture as you can from the cauliflower! However, depending on how much moisture there is, you may need to add an additional tablespoon of starch or oil to help bind the batter.
- Create Tots. Using a tablespoon or small cookie scoop, scoop out a small amount of batter, and roll it into a ball or cylinder using your hands. Place the formed tot on a lined baking sheet, and repeat the process until all of the batter has been used.
- Chill. Let the sweet potato tots chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. Or place them in the freezer for 10 minutes to help keep the batter from falling apart while frying.
- Preheat. While the tots are chilling, preheat the air fryer or oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add Oil. Spray each tot with cooking spray. Or, lightly brush them with oil.
- Cook. Working in batches, place half of the tots in the air fryer for 12-14 minutes, flipping halfway. Then, remove the first batch, and cook the second following the same steps.
Texture Tips for Cauliflower Tater Tots in the Air Fryer
It’s important to note that the texture of your sweet potato cauliflower tater tots will vary slightly based on which cooking methods and ingredients you use.
Air Fryer: Once cooked, the air-fried tots will be fluffy, crisp on the outside, and soft on the inside with a slightly shredded texture from the pieces of cauliflower and potato.
Oven: Just as delicious as the air fryer tots, the oven-baked version don’t rise quite as much. As a result, they’re slightly less fluffy but retain all the same flavor and a perfectly crunchy exterior.
Vegan: Similar to the oven-baked method, the vegan option produces slightly flatter tots. However, they retain a crispy exterior and soft, fluffy interior, and of course, all of the same great taste!
Common Questions About
Similar to sweet potato fries, these tots have a slightly sweet flavor that is balanced out with savory notes of onion and spices.
Yes! These sweet potato tots are great to add to your meal prep and can easily be stored and reheated for quick meals in a pinch!
Fridge: If stored in an airtight container, these tots will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
Freezer: To prevent them from sticking together, place them in the freezer in a single layer on a baking sheet. Once frozen, transfer your tots to a sealable bag, and store them for up to 2 months.
How to Reheat: For the best results, I recommend placing your tots in the air fryer or oven at 400 degrees for 10-20 minutes or until they are heated through. However, if you’re in a rush, you can also pop them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
I think so, although I haven’t tried it. If you do, make sure to weigh out the exact amount (in grams) of grated sweet potato that’s replacing the cauliflower for the tots.
The Best Pairings & Dips
Really, I’m not sure there’s anything you can’t pair with these sweet potato tater tots! From breakfast to dinner, they’re the perfect accompaniment to any meal. However, a few of my favorite things to serve with these tots include:
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Paleo Breakfast Egg Wraps
- Easy Southwest Black Beans Polenta Casserole (Vegetarian)
Of course, we can’t forget to include sauces, either! Try dipping your tots in Nomato Sauce, Homemade Chipotle Mayo, Herb and Garlic Aioli, or even Vegan Cheese Sauce!
Cauliflower Sweet Potato Tots (Air Fryer)
- Total Time: 53-55 minutes
- Yield: 20–24 tots 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
These sweet potato tots are made with simple ingredients in the air fryer or oven for a tasty snack or savory side dish that is gluten-free, kid-friendly, and delicious! Vegan option.
- 1 large sweet potato, 350 grams (about 3 cups grated/shredded)
- 1 small head cauliflower, riced (3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or kosher salt
- Optional 1 teaspoon dried herbs (like chives)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup grated parmesan or nutritional yeast
- 3–4 teaspoons olive oil (extra as needed)
- 1 large egg white (see notes for vegan option)
- 3 – 4 Tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch (*use 4 tbsp for vegan option)
- Optional ⅓ cup shredded cheese or vegan cheese.
- Cooking oil spray
- Peel the sweet potato, and cut it into small pieces. Steam the sweet potato pieces on stove top or in a microwave-safe dish for 3 -4 minutes.
- Place the cooked sweet potato in a food processor, and pulse until a grated (finely shredded) texture is formed. Once the potato is grated, use a hand towel or cheesecloth to squeeze out any excess water. Place the shredded potato in a large bowl.
- Next, place the cauliflower rice in the microwave or on the stovetop with a lid on, and steam for 2 minutes until it is al dente. (If using the stovetop, add 1 tablespoon of water to help steam.)
- Once the cauliflower is lightly steamed, press out any excess water, and add the cauliflower rice to the bowl with the sweet potato. *Note- removing excess water from potatoes and cauliflower are steps for crispy tots!
- Add the other ingredients (minus cooking spray) to the mixing bowl, and combine them by hand.
- Using a tablespoon or small cookie scoop, scoop out some of the cauliflower and potato mixture. Roll it into a ball or cylinder to form a tot. Place the tot on a lined baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture. Let the batter chill in the fridge for 15 minutes or in the freezer for 10 minutes. (This will help keep the batter from falling apart while frying)
- While the batter is chilling, preheat the air fryer or oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After the batter has chilled, spray each tot with cooking spray. Or, lightly brush them with oil.
- Working in batches, place half the tots in the air fryer, and air fry for 12 -14 minutes, flipping halfway. Check the tots after 6 minutes to see their progress. Once fully cooked, the tots will be golden and crispy on the outside.
- Remove the first batch of tots, and place them back on the cookie sheet. Repeat for a second batch until all of the batter has been used.
- Follow the same instructions as the air fryer recipe (above) preheating the oven instead of an air fryer.
- After the batter has chilled, spray each tot with cooking spray. Or, lightly brush them with oil, and place them on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the tots in the oven for 20 minutes. Then, flip, and bake them for an additional 15-20 minutes or until they are golden and crispy.
- Depending on the moisture content of the tots, they may need an additional tablespoon of starch or oil to help bind the batter.
- For a vegan option, replace the egg white with ½ -1 tablespoon more starch until the batter can easily bind. Be sure to chill batter before cooking. The texture will not be quite as fluffy, but will still be equally as delicious!
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 tot
- Calories: 43
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 151.7 mg
- Fat: 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 3 mg
Keywords: side, appetizer, snack, gluten free, air fryer, kid-friendly, vegan, sweet potato
We’ve tested these sweet potato tots with both kids and adults both, and they always get the seal of approval for a crowd-pleasing dish perfect for every occasion! I hope you love them as much as we do. How will you serve them? Let me know in the comments below!
I love these tots! I am happy to feed my family something that they love and that I feel good about them eating. Even my daughter gobbles them up with no complaints!
Ok, next time I need to double the recipe. They are THAT delicious!