These sweet potato tots are made with simple ingredients in the air fryer or oven for a tasty snack or savory side dish that is gluten-free, kid-friendly, and delicious! Vegan option.
- 1 large sweet potato, 350 grams (about 3 cups grated/shredded)
- 1 small head cauliflower, riced (3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or kosher salt
- Optional 1 teaspoon dried herbs (like chives)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or nutritional yeast
- 3–4 teaspoons olive oil (extra as needed)
- 1 large egg white (see notes for vegan option)
- 3 – 4 Tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch (*use 4 tbsp for vegan option)
- Optional 1/3 cup shredded cheese or vegan cheese.
- Cooking oil spray
- Peel the sweet potato, and cut it into small pieces. Steam the sweet potato pieces on stove top or in a microwave-safe dish for 3 -4 minutes.
- Place the cooked sweet potato in a food processor, and pulse until a grated (finely shredded) texture is formed. Once the potato is grated, use a hand towel or cheesecloth to squeeze out any excess water. Place the shredded potato in a large bowl.
- Next, place the cauliflower rice in the microwave or on the stovetop with a lid on, and steam for 2 minutes until it is al dente. (If using the stovetop, add 1 tablespoon of water to help steam.)
- Once the cauliflower is lightly steamed, press out any excess water, and add the cauliflower rice to the bowl with the sweet potato. *Note- removing excess water from potatoes and cauliflower are steps for crispy tots!
- Add the other ingredients (minus cooking spray) to the mixing bowl, and combine them by hand.
- Using a tablespoon or small cookie scoop, scoop out some of the cauliflower and potato mixture. Roll it into a ball or cylinder to form a tot. Place the tot on a lined baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture. Let the batter chill in the fridge for 15 minutes or in the freezer for 10 minutes. (This will help keep the batter from falling apart while frying)
- While the batter is chilling, preheat the air fryer or oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After the batter has chilled, spray each tot with cooking spray. Or, lightly brush them with oil.
- Working in batches, place half the tots in the air fryer, and air fry for 12 -14 minutes, flipping halfway. Check the tots after 6 minutes to see their progress. Once fully cooked, the tots will be golden and crispy on the outside.
- Remove the first batch of tots, and place them back on the cookie sheet. Repeat for a second batch until all of the batter has been used.
- Follow the same instructions as the air fryer recipe (above) preheating the oven instead of an air fryer.
- After the batter has chilled, spray each tot with cooking spray. Or, lightly brush them with oil, and place them on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the tots in the oven for 20 minutes. Then, flip, and bake them for an additional 15-20 minutes or until they are golden and crispy.
- Depending on the moisture content of the tots, they may need an additional tablespoon of starch or oil to help bind the batter.
- For a vegan option, replace the egg white with 1/2 -1 tablespoon more starch until the batter can easily bind. Be sure to chill batter before cooking. The texture will not be quite as fluffy, but will still be equally as delicious!
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 tot
- Calories: 43
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 151.7 mg
- Fat: 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 3 mg
Keywords: side, appetizer, snack, gluten free, air fryer, kid-friendly, vegan, sweet potato