Made with minimal ingredients in just 5 minutes, this Roasted Red Pepper Sauce is anti-inflammatory, vegan, and gluten free. Creamy and delicious, it’s guaranteed to be your new go-to sauce recipe for pasta, veggies, meat, and more!
Why You’ll Love Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
You know those recipes the whole family asks for by name? The ones you’ve made so many times you know them by heart and pretty much always have a batch on hand? Yeah, this roasted red pepper sauce is one of those! Quick and so delicious, it’s super versatile and guaranteed to become your new go-to for all your flavor-boosting needs. Like our other sauce recipes, it’s:
- Quick and easy to make. We’re talking 5 minutes or less.
- Budget-friendly requiring just 6 ingredients (not counting the basics like salt and pepper, of course)
- Gluten free and adaptable to fit all of your allergy-friendly needs.
Plus, it’s full of anti-inflammatory ingredients that can help reduce your stress levels. Yes, please!
What Does It Taste Like?
Is amazing a good enough answer? Because, seriously, it is! Warm and slightly spicy, this red pepper sauce is like a combination of your favorite hot sauce, tomato sauce, and bisque! However, you can adjust the spicy level to suit your tastebuds.
Simple Ingredients, Bold Flavor
You’re not going to believe how such everyday ingredients can create such a unique recipe!
- Roasted Red Peppers – The base of this sauce, bell peppers are high in vitamins C and B6 and are loaded with anti-inflammatory properties. Read more about their nutrition and health benefits here.
- Nuts – Used to provide a boost of healthy fats for added richness and fiber, feel free to include almonds, cashews, or a combination of both.
Allergy-Friendly Swap: For a nut free sauce, use tahini, toasted sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds instead!
- Dairy Free Cream or Organic Heavy Cream – This is key to creating an extra creamy texture and richer taste. If you need a dairy free or vegan sauce, just swap out traditional cream with coconut milk or any other non-dairy milk you have on hand.
- Garlic – Not only is it delicious, but garlic also has antibiotic properties and can help fight bacteria and viruses. (Source)
How to Make a Zippy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Blend all of the ingredients except for the cream in a food processor or high speed blender, starting at a low speed. Increase the speed to high until the ingredients are creamy.
- Add the mixture to a saucepan, and stir in the non dairy cream (or cream). Continue to warm over low heat, stirring until well-combined and smooth.
NOTE – As your sauce simmers, it will begin to thicken. This is good! It will help it stick to your gluten free pasta (or whatever else you’re using it on). Serve immediately.
Flavor & Texture-Boosting Tips
Add the Cream After Blending. Once the other ingredients are pureed and smooth, you’ll add them to a saucepan to warm. This is when you’ll stir in the cream – not before! Otherwise, it will not mix as well, creating the silky texture we’re looking to achieve.
Adjust the Spice. If you want an extra zippy roasted red pepper sauce, feel free to include extra crushed red pepper flakes. Or, leave them out completely if you aren’t a fan of heat.
Can I roast my own red bell peppers instead?
Yes! If you prefer, you can create your own roasted red peppers in the oven with a DIY recipe like this.
What Can I Do with Red Pepper Sauce?
We’re so glad you asked! There are endless variations when it comes to using this sauce. From pasta, to eggs, to fish, to just plain dipping!
Some of our favorite red pepper sauce uses include:
- With gluten free pasta noodles for the best red pepper pasta sauce (It clings perfectly so you don’t miss out on any of the taste.) Then, add nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese!
- Smothered over vegan mushroom meatballs
- For a dip with steamed artichokes, cauliflower, or gluten free crackers
- As a sauce with veggies, potatoes, or your favorite protein such as baked salmon, chicken, and more
- To replace the sauce on all your favorite pizza recipes
Make Ahead Options
Trust us when we say you’re going to want to keep this red pepper sauce on hand. Luckily, it’s great for meal prep! Store it in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. Or, for a longer-lasting option, keep it in a sealable freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months instead!
Note: Once frozen, the texture and consistency might change due to the fact that dairy doesn’t freeze super well. Don’t worry, though! It heats up and returns right back to normal on the stovetop. Just be sure to stir it occasionally to reincorporate the ingredients.
Even More Satisfying Sauce Recipes
Looking for more ways to add flavor to all your favorite meals? We’ve got you covered with more sauces you’ll love!
- Sweet, savory, thick, and creamy, this Vegan Cashew Cream Sauce can be paired with anything.
- Nutritious and refreshing, Mint Chimichurri Sauce is great with shrimp, lamb, chicken, veggies, and more.
- Better than anything you’ll find in the store, this Creamy Mustard Sauce is free from refined sugar and additives yet loaded with sweet and spicy flavor.
- Appropriately named, Yum Yum Sauce makes everything so, well, yummy! Our version is made even better with gluten free ingredients and no refined sugars.
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce (Dairy Free Option)
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup to 1 ⅓ cup 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Simple ingredients combine in minutes for a creamy anti-inflammatory sauce that will be your new go-to for pasta, veggies, meat, and more!
- ½ cup jarred roasted red peppers (See notes if using fresh peppers)
- ¼ cup smoked almonds and/or cashews (See notes for nut-free option)
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup heavy cream or non dairy milk/cream (see notes)
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients, minus the cream, into a high speed blender or food processor. Blend at low power to chop nuts. Then, increase the speed to high, and blend until a smooth texture is formed.
- Transfer the sauce to a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in cream.
- Continue to heat, stirring occasionally, until warm and smooth (about 2-4 minutes). Season to taste. As the sauce simmers, it will begin to thicken.
- Storage: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days. Or, store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Substitutes – If you don’t have jarred peppers, you may use fresh red peppers. Roast 1 large or 2 small red bell peppers, remove skin, slice, and remove seeds. Adjust sauce consistency with cream. For a nut-free option, substitute 2 Tablespoons tahini, roasted sunflower, or pumpkin seeds. For dairy-free option, canned coconut milk may be substituted for heavy cream. Adjust spices, if needed, to mask any coconut flavor.
Storage Tips – Frozen sauce will separate as it thaws, but will recombine as you stir while reheating. Texture may be slightly different than when it’s freshly made, but it will still taste delicious!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 96
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 298.4 g
- Fat: 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.2 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 11.3 mg
Keywords: roasted red pepper sauce, red pepper coulis, anti inflammatory recipe, red pepper sauce, red pepper pasta sauce, gluten free
Do you have questions, feedback, or tips about this recipe? Leave a comment below with any questions or feedback you’d like to share!
Definite 5 stars! This is very useful.
Absolutely 5 stars! I love how easy and delicious this sauce is and it’s a total bonus that it fights inflammation! Food that is yummy and helps me feel better? Yes, please!
This is really amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! We enjoyed it as a dip and I’ll definitely try it with pasta next time.
This is one of my favorite soup recipes. And all of my kids love it too!
Those kids of yours obviously have great taste in food, Lauren! Haha… we love the soup at our house, too. Just wait until you try the sauce… it’s amazing!