Simple ingredients combine in minutes for a creamy anti-inflammatory sauce that will be your new go-to for pasta, veggies, meat, and more!
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers (See notes if using fresh peppers)
- 1/4 cup smoked almonds and/or cashews (See notes for nut-free option)
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or non dairy milk/cream (see notes)
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients, minus the cream, into a high speed blender or food processor. Blend at low power to chop nuts. Then, increase the speed to high, and blend until a smooth texture is formed.
- Transfer the sauce to a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in cream.
- Continue to heat, stirring occasionally, until warm and smooth (about 2-4 minutes). Season to taste. As the sauce simmers, it will begin to thicken.
- Storage: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days. Or, store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Substitutes – If you don’t have jarred peppers, you may use fresh red peppers. Roast 1 large or 2 small red bell peppers, remove skin, slice, and remove seeds. Adjust sauce consistency with cream. For a nut-free option, substitute 2 Tablespoons tahini, roasted sunflower, or pumpkin seeds. For dairy-free option, canned coconut milk may be substituted for heavy cream. Adjust spices, if needed, to mask any coconut flavor.
Storage Tips – Frozen sauce will separate as it thaws, but will recombine as you stir while reheating. Texture may be slightly different than when it’s freshly made, but it will still taste delicious!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 96
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 298.4 g
- Fat: 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.2 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 11.3 mg
Keywords: roasted red pepper sauce, red pepper coulis, anti inflammatory recipe, red pepper sauce, red pepper pasta sauce, gluten free