This oatmeal muffin recipe has no refined sugar because it’s sweetened with oranges! Make the Coconut Orange Oat Muffins for a quick breakfast or snack on the go. Gluten free, dairy free friendly, and delicious!
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour (or other flour of choice) See notes for homemade oat flour.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp vanilla plant protein of choice (a pea protein works best). See notes for substitutes.
- 1/4 tsp of kosher salt
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch or arrowroot starch
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp melted refined coconut oil or butter
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup non dairy milk (almond or coconut)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Orange Slices to garnish
- optional – up to 1/2 cup sweetener if you prefer sweeter muffins (ex. monk fruit sugar)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line or grease a muffins pan. Set aside.
- Combine your dry ingredients; flours, protein, starch, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together your juice, egg, extracts, oil, and milk.
- Slowly combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Mixing at you pour. Then use a hand mixer to mix the battle together until smooth. If the batter is too dry (thick) add more milk. Fold in your shredded coconut. Save a few tbsp for topping. If you are wanting the muffins to be more sweet without adding sugar, fold in up to 1/2 cup xylitol or monk fruit sweetener.
- Scoop the mix muffins cups. place a thinly sliced orange on top of each muffin and a sprinkle of shredded coconut.
- Bake at 375 F for 18-25 minutes, depending on your oven. Check at 15 minutes to make sure they don’t burn. It depends on the flours you use and type of oven.
- Remove and allow muffins to cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing them
- Serve or store in sealed container in fridge for up to a week. These also freeze well for up to 4 months.
If you don’t have a plant based protein, you may substitute with 2 tbsp more oat flour.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oatmeal muffin recipe, gluten free, dairy free, orange oat muffins, naturally sweetened