This Chia Matcha Overnight Breakfast Smoothie is a great way to start the day! An energizing, make ahead smoothie packed with antioxidants, fiber, and probiotics! Just blend it up the night before and enjoy the next morning. The perfect green smoothie breakfast on the go, or anytime!
HAPPY almost GREEN day! As in St. Patricks day! Actually, it’s the day before but you get my point. Time to bust out the Irish Cream, Cabbage, and all the Green Food. But here’s the thing, since this Chia Matcha Overnight Breakfast Smoothie is an overnight recipe, I figured I better post it a day head. Duh, right?
Here’s the other thing. I actually had no intention of making this recipe until I busted out my matcha this week. I then realized I had an AWESOME old matcha smoothie that I could use and probably update. Cause, um, it’s ridiculously old matcha recipe that didn’t even have a plugin.
Here’s the third thing… hang with me here.
My dilemma. That post? Gosh, it’s all about pre-race triathlon tips and the health perks of matcha. I really had a hard time updating it. It’s kinda like looking back at old photos of your ex boyfriend. You had good memories. The heart ache is still there, but all in all that relationship made you grow. So why throw out or “replace” that photo. In my case, that photo was a memorable walk down my husband’s triathlon career (me as “sherpa wife.”).
So here’s what I am going to do. Am doing. I’m going to celebrate that post by reposting the MATCHA health perks and the NEW improved recipe today. Just in time for St. Patrick’s day.
St Patrick’s day also reminds me of my Nana. It is her birthday. And you know what she would say? She would quote me Psalm 118:24 and say REJOICE! Celebrate the JOY of TODAY!
That being said, let’s talks MATCHA and Chia Matcha Overnight Breakfast Smoothie. Mmm k?
What is Matcha and Why is so flippin awesome in a breakfast smoothie? Ohh.. you’re gonna love this!
Matcha is finely ground powder from a certain type of green tea, usually from Japan. The powder is made and processed when the green tea leaves are shaded from the sun for the last few weeks of their growth. This increases the nutrients and the green color of the tea. Then it’s ground into a powder. Make sense?
Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea Powder:
- Provides instant energy without you feeling jittery.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Calms and relaxes the brain- Matcha is rich in L-theanine which create alpha waves in the nervous system. These waves produce a so called “relaxed alertness”. I should really add this for my foods that reduce stress meal plan, cause it’s SUPER useful!
- Rich in vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc, and magnesium All my favorite vitamins and minerals!
- Fights against viruses and bacteria
- Lowers blood sugar
- Does not raise insulin levels
Now that we’ve got the nutrition dialed in, let’s get that overnight smoothie ready! Yes, Matcha can be quite bitter, but I’ve got a remedy for that with this Chia Matcha Overnight Breakfast Smoothie.
p.s I added Kefir yogurt to the overnight breakfast smoothie, to make it EXTRA nourishing for your gut.
But use coconut yogurt if you’re looking for dairy free or vegan option. Just as tasty! YEAAA!Print
Overnight chia matcha Breakfast smoothie – Energizing Breakfast to go! Gluten Free, Vegan Friendly.
- 10 -12 ounces Coconut yogurt or Kefir yogurt (Plain or Vanilla) (Use Coconut yogurt for Vegan option. See notes for brand)
- 2 to 4 tsp matcha powder
- 1 large banana
- 8 oz Vanilla almond or coconut milk
- Optional but recommended – 1 scoop vanilla protein (plant based or collagen protein work great)
- 1/4 cup chia seed (2 tbsp per cup)
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup to gluten free oats or granola
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Add yogurt/kefir , banana, milk, and protein to a blender and blend until smooth. Add your matcha powder (carefully), and cinnamon. The more matcha you use, the stronger the green tea taste, adjust accordingly. Blend again.
- Set out 2 bowls or 2 glasses (one large if you want to use if for multiple days).
- To each bowl or glass, add 2 tbsp of chia seeds. Then add 2-3 tbsp or more of your oats. Pour half your matcha smoothie into each bowl or cup.
- Mix each cup and let it sit overnight in fridge.
- The next morning, top each bowl/cup with extra oats or granola, chia, and maple syrup.
- I also made a little matcha latte and poured extra on top of that before eating.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 118.2mg
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 28.1g
- Fiber: 10.6g
- Protein: 11.5g
- Cholesterol: 16.8mg
Keywords: breakfast smoothie, matcha recipes, gluten free breakfasts, vegan smoothie
What’s your favorite way to use Matcha? Are wearing green tomorrow?
I’m just going to carry this drink around all day. Sound good?