Chia Matcha Smoothie is an energizing, make ahead drink with antioxidants, fiber, and probiotics. Make this smoothie recipe for breakfast to go, or an anytime snack!
HAPPY almost GREEN day! As in St. Patricks day! Actually, it’s the day before but you get my point. Time to bust out the Irish Cream, Cabbage, and all the Green Food.
But here’s the thing. Since this chia matcha smoothie is an overnight breakfast recipe, I figured I better post it a day head. Duh, right?
Ingredients in matcha smoothies
If you’re looking for a vegan smoothie, I’ve got you covered, too.
- Coconut Yogurt or Kefir Yogurt – Use vanilla, or plain for the vegan option
- Matcha powder – Here’s the matcha powder I use (Amazon affiliate link)
- Ground Cinnamon
- Non Dairy Milk – I prefer vanilla almond milk or coconut milk
- Vanilla Protein Powder – I recommend using a plant based or collagen protein powder
- Chia Seeds– These tiny seeds tend to come in really large bags. No worries. You can use some to make Protein Chia Pudding with Peaches for dessert
- Gluten Free Oats or Granola – Some Maple Buckwheat Homemade Granola would be delicious!
- Honey or Maple Syrup (optional)
So here’s what I am going to do. Am doing. I’m going to celebrate that post by reposting the MATCHA health perks, and the NEW improved recipe today. Just in time for St. Patrick’s day.
St Patrick’s day also reminds me of my Nana. It is her birthday. And you know what she would say? She would quote me Psalm 118:24 and say REJOICE! Celebrate the JOY of TODAY!
What is Matcha?
Matcha is finely ground powder from a certain type of green tea, usually from Japan.
The powder is made and processed when the green tea leaves are shaded from the sun for the last few weeks of their growth. This increases the nutrients and the green color of the tea. Then it’s ground into a powder. Make sense?
Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Provides instant energy without you feeling jittery.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Calms and relaxes the brain- Matcha is rich in L-theanine which create alpha waves in the nervous system. These waves produce a so called “relaxed alertness”. I should really add this for my foods that reduce stress meal plan, cause it’s SUPER useful!
- Rich in vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc, and magnesium All my favorite vitamins and minerals!
- Fights against viruses and bacteria
- Lowers blood sugar
- Does not raise insulin levels
Great in lattes or even just mixed in oatmeal! Matcha is basically it’s the powerhouse of TEA’s!
Now that we’ve got the nutrition dialed in, let’s get that chia matcha smoothie ready! Yes, Matcha can be quite bitter, but I’ve got a remedy for that.
Plus, I added Kefir yogurt to the overnight breakfast smoothie, to make it EXTRA nourishing for your gut. But use coconut yogurt if you’re looking for dairy free or vegan option. Just as tasty!Print
Overnight Chia Matcha Smoothie (Make Ahead Breakfast)
- Total Time: 24 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Chia Matcha Smoothie is an energizing, make ahead drink with antioxidants, fiber, and probiotics. Make this smoothie recipe for breakfast to go, or anytime! Gluten free and vegan friendly
- 10 ounces Coconut Yogurt or Kefir Yogurt (Plain or Vanilla)
- 1 tbsp Matcha Powder
- 1 large Banana
- Ground Cinnamon
- 8 oz Vanilla Almond or Coconut milk
- 1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (plant based or collagen protein)
- ¼ cup Chia Seeds
- ¼ cup to ⅓ cup Gluten Free Oats or Granola
- 1 tbsp Honey or Maple Syrup (optional)
- Add yogurt/kefir, banana, milk and protein powder to a blender. Blend on high power until smooth. Add matcha powder and cinnamon and blend again.
- Set out 2 bowls or glasses, or one large glass if you want to use it for multiple days.
- To each bowl or glass, add 2 tablespoon of chia seeds and 2-3 tablespoon oats. Evenly divide matcha smoothie to each bowl/glass.
- Mix contents of bowl/glass to combine, then transfer to refrigerator to chill overnight.
- The next morning, top each bowl/cup with extra oats or granola, chia seed, and maple syrup/honey, if desired.
- Here’s the matcha powder I use (Amazon affiliate link)
- Plain coconut yogurt for vegan option
- Nutrition shown per serving, without additional sweetener added.
- I made matcha latte to pour over the top of my smoothie.
- Prep Time: 24 hours
- Category: breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: ½ recipe
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 118.2mg
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 28.1g
- Fiber: 10.6g
- Protein: 11.5g
- Cholesterol: 16.8mg
Keywords: matcha smoothie, matcha recipes, vegan smoothie, make ahead breakfast
What’s your favorite way to use matcha? Are wearing green tomorrow?
I’m just going to carry this drink around all day. Sound good?
Thanks, Kathy! This is a favorite around here for breakfast!
Thank you for sending me the information about It. I learned a lot from it. I appreciate you the detail you went into it. I am grateful for the amount of time and effort you put into this helping us. Your insights and summary are beneficial.
You’re welcome Sonia! Always here to help!
Just made this for the first time for the family. It was so good and fresh. Everyone in the family loved it which isn’t always the case with a family of 5. Pretty easy to make . Will definitely keep this dish on the permanent weekly menu.
Glad to hear that it was a big hit with the whole family!
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this blog. Very Informative post with Images. very interesting topic regarding Matcha Green.
If you don’t like bananas, what would you recommend as an alternative? Thanks!
Hi! This looks perfect for the work week. Do you think I could double the recipe and make 4 days supply? Would it keep in the fridge that long or am I pushing it?
I think so! You might need a little more milk though. Keep me posted!
Can’t wait to try this! We love matcha
Would it be possible to make this without the yogurt? I am dairy free and do not know if my local grocer has coconut milk yogurt.
I think so. I’m wondering if you could maybe use coconut cream, chilled to thicken it a bit instead of coconut yogurt.
If not, try just 14 ounces almond or coconut milk and add extra banana or chia to thicken. Keep me posted!
Jody - Fit at 59
Perfect post for the irish day!!! 🙂 Not a fan of matcha taste but if it is masked .. I know it is good for you so I need to use but not taste! 🙂
You can’t taste the matcha here. I think you’d love! Haha, with cookies
These are so pretty! great shots….love this whole idea!
Shashi at Savory Spin
The only green I’ll be wearing is this smoothie – that is if it splashed on me as I slurped it! 🙂 Matcha is so good – and I usually enjoy it in pancakes or waffles – but I gotta diversify and give this a try – GORGEOUS photos, Lindsay! Happy Green FriYAY!!!
oh i love your green pancakes! ps. I almost did not recognize you! NEW NAME!
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
I was so good about matcha for the longest time. I need to get back on it! This looks like breakfast tomorrow. Lucky green!
it’s making a comeback. Right? Remember Matcha and Super Greens were popular in like… 2010. We are so old (blog old). Haha
Casey the College Celiac
Gosh, only a combination of my two fave things! Love the idea of using a smoothie base for a chia-seed-pudding-ish creation…
mine too! I bet you’d love Casey!
I can’t wait to make this! xoxo
let me know what you think!
It’s nice to know I’m in good company with your Nana. It’s my birthday tomorrow too. 🙂
Also I don’t like the standard corn beef and cabbage but I will drink some green beer. 🙂
OH no wonder I love you so much! Drink green beer for me!
jordan @ dancing for donuts
yum!!!!! matcha has been my JAM lately but i’ve been trying to find more recipes to make with it other than lattes! this is perfect, thanks for sharing 🙂
yea! let me know if you try it Jordan!
Yum!! Looks too pretty to eat – love matcha in my smoothies. Happy St. Paddy’s Day 🙂
you too friend!
These are beautiful!! I have to make this!!
Let me know if you do! Thanks!
What a healthy dish! I love this ingredients combo. Looks so good.
So much to love for sure! Thanks Brandi!
This is the best way to start the day, nice and healthy and I adore that color!
Ah yes, old posts can be so tough to update when they hold so much meaning. This smoothie is eeeverything! I never thought of making an overnight smoothie, and am in love with the concept. Plus, matcha? Need the antioxidants asap, please!
isn’t it? old posts make me laugh and cry. haha! Thanks Julia!
I like the idea of a breakfast up and running in the AM! Grab and go is a favorite, especially when it sounds this good!
Yes, grab and go breakfast is super convenient! Hope you’ll give this one a try!
Julia @ HappyFoods Tube
I like this smoothie a lot 🙂 Never bought matcha powder as it is ridiculously dear around here but I like its health benefits so putting it on my shopping list!
Carrie this fit chick
Really like the idea of an overnigt amoothie! So many times you see overnight oats with chia, but this is very creative! The chia seeds can get all plump and thick 🙂
Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday
I just picked up matcha for some extra L-theanine! What perfect timing 😀
yea!!! and happy belated bday!
Susie @ Suzlyfe
I know that matcha is so good for you, but it just gets so grassy on my palate. Any tips for easing myself in?
This is how I ease it in. Use a flavored yogurt here and only 1 tsp matcha or less. Then add maple or honey on top. Granola instead of oats. It will be the perfect post run refuel!! No grassy taste