Chia Matcha Smoothie is an energizing, make ahead drink with antioxidants, fiber, and probiotics. Make this smoothie recipe for breakfast to go, or an anytime snack!
But here’s the thing. Since this chia matcha smoothie is an overnight breakfast recipe, I figured I better post it a day head. Duh, right?
Ingredients in matcha smoothies
If you’re looking for a vegan smoothie, I’ve got you covered, too.
- Coconut Yogurt or Kefir Yogurt – Use vanilla, or plain for the vegan option
- Matcha powder – Here’s the matcha powder I use (Amazon affiliate link)
- Ground Cinnamon
- Non Dairy Milk – I prefer vanilla almond milk or coconut milk
- Vanilla Protein Powder – I recommend using a plant based or collagen protein powder
- Chia Seeds– These tiny seeds tend to come in really large bags. No worries. You can use some to make Protein Chia Pudding with Peaches for dessert
- Gluten Free Oats or Granola – Some Maple Buckwheat Homemade Granola would be delicious!
- Honey or Maple Syrup (optional)
So here’s what I am going to do. Am doing. I’m going to celebrate that post by reposting the MATCHA health perks, and the NEW improved recipe today. Just in time for St. Patrick’s day.
St Patrick’s day also reminds me of my Nana. It is her birthday. And you know what she would say? She would quote me Psalm 118:24 and say REJOICE! Celebrate the JOY of TODAY!
What is Matcha?
Matcha is finely ground powder from a certain type of green tea, usually from Japan.
The powder is made and processed when the green tea leaves are shaded from the sun for the last few weeks of their growth. This increases the nutrients and the green color of the tea. Then it’s ground into a powder. Make sense?
Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Provides instant energy without you feeling jittery.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Calms and relaxes the brain- Matcha is rich in L-theanine which create alpha waves in the nervous system. These waves produce a so called “relaxed alertness”. I should really add this for my foods that reduce stress meal plan, cause it’s SUPER useful!
- Rich in vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc, and magnesium All my favorite vitamins and minerals!
- Fights against viruses and bacteria
- Lowers blood sugar
- Does not raise insulin levels
Now that we’ve got the nutrition dialed in, let’s get that chia matcha smoothie ready! Yes, Matcha can be quite bitter, but I’ve got a remedy for that.
Plus, I added Kefir yogurt to the overnight breakfast smoothie, to make it EXTRA nourishing for your gut. But use coconut yogurt if you’re looking for dairy free or vegan option. Just as tasty!Print
Chia Matcha Smoothie is an energizing, make ahead drink with antioxidants, fiber, and probiotics. Make this smoothie recipe for breakfast to go, or anytime! Gluten free and vegan friendly
- 10 ounces Coconut Yogurt or Kefir Yogurt (Plain or Vanilla)
- 1 tbsp Matcha Powder
- 1 large Banana
- Ground Cinnamon
- 8 oz Vanilla Almond or Coconut milk
- 1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (plant based or collagen protein)
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup Gluten Free Oats or Granola
- 1 tbsp Honey or Maple Syrup (optional)
- Add yogurt/kefir, banana, milk and protein powder to a blender. Blend on high power until smooth. Add matcha powder and cinnamon and blend again.
- Set out 2 bowls or glasses, or one large glass if you want to use it for multiple days.
- To each bowl or glass, add 2 tbsp of chia seeds and 2-3 tbsp oats. Evenly divide matcha smoothie to each bowl/glass.
- Mix contents of bowl/glass to combine, then transfer to refrigerator to chill overnight.
- The next morning, top each bowl/cup with extra oats or granola, chia seed, and maple syrup/honey, if desired.
- Here’s the matcha powder I use (Amazon affiliate link)
- Plain coconut yogurt for vegan option
- Nutrition shown per serving, without additional sweetener added.
- I made matcha latte to pour over the top of my smoothie.
- Category: breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 118.2mg
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 28.1g
- Fiber: 10.6g
- Protein: 11.5g
- Cholesterol: 16.8mg
Keywords: matcha smoothie, matcha recipes, vegan smoothie, make ahead breakfast
What’s your favorite way to use matcha? Are wearing green tomorrow?
I’m just going to carry this drink around all day. Sound good?