A wine and cheese party is a great way to celebrate the holidays with friends and family. Wine and cheese parties don’t have to be fancy or intimidating, and they don’t have to take a lot of planning, either. Here are some simple ways to host an impromptu wine and cheese party that can be put together in a day! Dairy free options too.
You know I love wine, #winocotter was a trending last year. Kidding, kinda. But in all honesty, if you know me, you know i APPRECIATE wine because of the science (wine making science nerd here) and pairing aspect it brings to good food! So ya, this post makes me a wee bit giddy! But have no fear because even if you’re not a wine person, you might learn something. Like say… what wine to serve at party when you don’t drink wine but are hosting a wine and cheese party?! Or how in the world do I make a charcuterie board or cheese board that goes with everything, not just wine? Or… what are some vegan options for wine and cheese parties?
Gasp, is that you? Don’t worry, I have ideas for you too. Keep reading. Bonus Discount OFFER at the end!
If you like getting together with friends and family for good food and wine or cocktails (in moderation) during the holidays but you’re not a planner, you will LOVE hosting a wine and cheese party! I mean, there’s just something about slowing sipping on a glass of wine while feasting on delicious cheeses and easy appetizers that don’t require ANY cooking! Just organizing food ona pretty little board, making it look fancy without effort.
Case and point. …
Wine and Cheese Party Must-Haves
Aside of the wine, which I’ll get to in a minute, you will want to serve a few different types of cheese (even vegan cheeses) and some easy appetizers that pair well with wine.
Does it matter the season? Fall, Winter, Spring? Mmmm, if you’re a true foodie (
snob) maybe, but for impromptu, ALL FOOD is welcome!
What foods go with wine?
To throw an impromptu party, you won’t want to spend time preparing food. Think simple foods (REAL FOODS) that don’t require any cooking or baking. I like to build a cheese board to serve everything from. You can even build on different cheese boards to go with different types of red wines, sparkling wines, and white wines!
Here are a few ideas:
- sweet pickles such as cornichon
- rice crackers and herbed gluten free crackers (these paleo crackers are my favorite).
- candied trail mix
- walnuts, almonds,and candied nuts
- fresh fruit like grapes, pomegranate, and apple slices
- dried figs and apricots
- marinated olives
- dark chocolate and berries (all kinds)
- honey sweetened jams and pepper jelly
- hummus and other dipping sauces like mustards or red pepper
- Artisan meats (I prefer the less processed uncured meats like Creminelli). Plus they have snack packs!
- simple sweets – no bake cake bites, lemon macadamia nut cookies or any gluten free (healthier) store bought sweets. (My weakness –> these Enjoy Life Foods vanilla cookies)
- Herbs and pretty flowers, just for kicks!
And, of course, a variety of cheeses that go with wine. I should also note, that light berry fragrant Rosé and Sparkling White wine are just about good with ALL THE THINGS. In my my humble opinion. Either way, they are ARE A MUST at wine and cheese parties. Why? Because these lightly sweet wines are the perfect “intro” wine to those who may not be frequent wine connoisseurs. Aka wine newbies. I say that with no snobby wine face. Mmm k?
Cheeses that go with wine:
Salty, hard cheeses pair well with wine, and so do soft cheeses. Again, an improptu wine and cheese party should be easy to prepare, so don’t feel like you need to serve all of these.
- Gouda – the perfect pairing with Cabernet
- Aged cheddar – lovely with Malbec
- Manchego – try this one with a sparkly wine. Also, this is a sheep milk based cheese ( great for those sensitive to cow’s milk cheeses).
- Ricotta – goes well with Riesling
- Parmesan – delicious with a bubbly Prosecco
- Gruyere – a love fest with Chardonnay
- Brie – goes well with many wines, but my favorite is Merlot
- Bleu cheese – pairs well with a Pinot Noir or a sweet Port
- Feta – a bright red or dry Rose, slightly sweet wine is perfect with salty feta
If you’re looking for beautiful round block cheeses to fancy it up, I highly recommend Emmi Cheese!
VEGAN or DAIRY FREE OPTIONS– Can we Say YAY for real food based vegan cheese?! Yes we can! These are my favorite vegan cheese to serve on cheese boards.
- Kite Hill – Cream cheese or ricotta
- Daiya Block Cheese
- Or if you’re looking for a more cheddar like Vegan/Paleo cheese dip, try my vegan queso. You can definitely fancy it up to make it wine and cheese party worthy. (like replace the salsa with red pepper jelly).
Tip for BUILDING A CHARCUTERIE or CHEESE BOARD – Focus on colors and combos. Ex: Orange and red (meats and fruit and crackers). Greens and yellows (pickles, olives, dips, nuts.). Throw it all together now and garnish with a herbs and flowers.
Need to gave this all organized for you?! I gotcha covered. Printable FESTIVE CHEESE BOARD RECIPE and INGREDIENTS BELOW! Yeaaas!Print
About the Wine
How do you know what wine to buy for a wine and cheese party? Well, there’s a SUPER EASY solution. Start a wine subscription. One that give you VARIETY (so you can throw an impromptu party) and tailors to your tastes. One that offers wine delivery right to your door! Winc Winc (pun intended)
Yes, WINE LOVERS and NEW TO WINE LOVERS REJOICE! Because there’s finally a wine subscription club that is simple and non scary. You can skip or cancel any time and if you don’t like a bottle you can ship it back for a new one! Haha, that makes sense, right?
You see, Winc believes that the experience of getting a great bottle of wine should be as simple as enjoying one. Their team creates and curates over a hundred wines, and makes the experience of exploring wine easy and pleasurable—just check out the variety of WINES!
Not a wine person? Totally okay because this also makes a great holiday gift for some who enjoys wine. Ahem… like me. Tell Santa I want a year subscription, mmm k?
That being said….
We (The Foodie Bootcamp Team) and myself want to help you be the best host ever. So, how about a little special offer? Winc is offering Cotter Crunch audience $26 off + no cost for shipping on your next purchase from Winc! That’s 4 bottles of wine for the price of 2! If that isn’t an excuse to throw a wine and cheese party right now, I don’t know what is! Haha, kidding. Kinda.
Okay my friends. Here’s the code. trywinc.com/cottercrunch May the Holiday entertaining begin!
Have you ever thrown a wine and cheese party? What are you tips? Do share!