These White Chocolate Peppermint Rum Balls make for easy no bake Holiday dessert! A fun festive dessert made with natural gluten free ingredients; pure dark chocolate and white chocolate, coconut, spice rum, almonds, and peppermint. These rum balls are quick to make for parties, family gatherings, and more. Non alcoholic version available!
And just like that we are back to the holiday treats mode. But yeah, let’s remember that this determined December focus is all about balance. Nourishing Protein bowl recipes help even out the Christmas cookies. But I do have to admit, most my holiday treats/cookies are healthyish anyway. I mean, I did make fudge with dark chocolate and dates. That’s some serious superfood fudge right there. Phew! But I digress.
Let’s talk about my specialty. Mmm k? No bake bites, balls, healthy bites. truffles, etc. Whatever you want to call them. My blogging career basically all started because of them. Baller.
Anyway, every month I have a no bake ball/bite recipe (like last month’s Amaretto Cake Bites), and this rum balls errr… Rum “truffles” bites recipe is keeping that theme going, just more festive and with a fun back story to go along with it. Okay fun to me, but you get my point. They are MEANINGFUL.
You see, this white chocolate meant rum ball recipe was actually first tried and tested on Thanksgiving day. It was a treat for my husband who adores white chocolate. Plus I really didn’t feel like baking more pie or cake . Haha, I was lazy.
The rum addition was a fun twist that I was dying to try. You know me and those boozy bites. They only come around during the holidays. But don’t worry. These totally have a nonalcoholic version. Rum extract to the rescue!
Okay back to the story….
For Thanksgiving we rented my friends condo in Park city. And when we got there, I totally forgot about ingredients to make dessert. So we hurried over to Whole Foods. I scrounged to get ingredients only to find that a lot of things are already taken. It was the day before Thanksgiving. Not much is left in the stores. That was my “DOH! think Lindsay” moment.
I didn’t want to nix the idea of making these rum balls for the Kiwi . So instead, I hunted down one of the Whole Foods employees and asked them to see if they had any ingredients in the back. To much to my surprise, the employees were super helpful and decided just to give me a few ingredients free of charge. Totally made my day! Free coconut and white chocolate. Yes! Love loved loved! Talk about being thankful.
So off we went home to have a festive Thanksgiving dinner the next day. And when I mean festive, I mean the most random Thanksgiving ever because I married a non American . We had lamb, green beans, and rum balls for dessert. See, told you it was a fun story. But the point is, this recipe only came to fruition because someone else being gracious to me. And for that I am thankful, grateful, and totally smitten over these white chocolate peppermint rum balls!
Now let’s get to the festive part of the recipe. Ingredients yo!
You will need white chocolate. I suggest Ghirardelli or Green and Black Organic White Chocolate! You just can’t beat either. Plus both contain natural ingredients, for white chocolate that is.
I also used ancient apothecary peppermint essential oils (the one from the giveaway), unsweetened shredded coconut, almond flour, maple syrup, spiced rum or rum extract, and gluten-free graham crackers crumbles. Side note: Any GF cookie crumbs will work too!
That’s all you need. Oh and you might want some glitter and sprinkles or dark chocolate to top. If you’re looking for natural sprinkles without food coloring, check out this brand or India Tree snow flakes.
To make these no bake rum ball truffles you don’t need much direction. Mash up cookies in a ziplock back and mix with the rest of ingredients. Let them sit in the fridge. Roll into balls then roll and melted white chocolate. Drizzle extra dark chocolate on top if needed. See, nothing fancy, even though they look fancy. Winning!Print
easy no bake holiday dessert! This quick festive dessert made with gluten free ingredients. Non alcoholic version too!
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free graham crackers (crushed) or gluten free cookie crumbs
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa or hot cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Spiced Rum (see notes for non alcoholic rum extract substitute)
- 1 tsp vanilla vanilla
- 3–4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract or oil
- 4 to 5 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1–2 ounces Melted dark chocolate to drizzle
- dye free sprinkles, sparkling cane sugar, and/or crushed peppermint candies for topping
- First, mash or grind gluten free graham crackers into crumbs. It doesn’t need to be very fine, just crushed by hand or in a food processor. Place crumbs in a large bowl.
- Add the almond meal, coconut, and cocoa powder. Mix together.
- Next add your rum, maple syrup (start off with 3 tbsp and add an additional if batter is too dry), extracts, and peppermint.
- Mix together again. Place bowl/batter in fridge.Chill batter 30 minutes or long.
- Once batter has chilled, roll into truffle size balls. A little smaller than golf ball size. You should get anywhere between 17-20 ball. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Melt your white chocolate in on the stove or in a microwave safe bowl. If you are using microwave, simple melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring between.
- Once the white chocolate is melted, dip the coconut rum balls in the white chocolate and place back on cookie sheet. Repeat until all the balls are coating.
- Sprinkle crushed peppermint or red sprinkles on top before they set.
- Place in freezer for about 10 minutes.
- While the rum balls are setting, melted your dark chocolate. Similar to the white chocolate, simply melt on stove or microwave, stirring until melted.
- Remove the rum balls from the freezer and drizzle the dark chocolate on top. I did this with a small whisk or fork.
- Sprinkle sparkling cane sugar or more sprinkles on top if desired.
- Place back in freezer or fridge until chocolate has harden. Store in fridge until ready to serve.
If you want to make a non alcoholic version, take out the 1/4 cup rum and use 2 tbsp of almond or coconut milk. Then add in 1 tsp rum extract.
Estimated nutrition per bite varies depending on chocolate coating used:
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 112
- Sugar: 8.6g
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: rum balls, gluten free, healthy holiday desserts, no bake
I only have one warning for you! If you’re anything like me, you might be tempted to eat them the next day for breakfast. Man I really need to stop doing that. 😂 DETERMINED to sneak in some extra veggies and a power salad today.
Tell me your favorite holiday dessert! Does it have back story? I’d love to know!Easy, festive, and fun White chocolate Peppermint Rum balls!Click To Tweet
Cheers to white chocolate, peppermint delights, and rum balls (truffles)! All in one please.