Mexican Hot Chocolate Sugar Cookies are festive and easy to make! This sugar cookies recipe is paleo. gluten free and vegan friendly. The sugar cookies are loaded with Mexican Hot Chocolate, cinnamon, cocoa, and a pinch of chili spices. Great for holiday cookie platters or any time! Soft gluten free chocolate sugar cookies you’re gonna want to make again and again.
I’m calling this the week of first world problems. And to be honest, all I want to do is plop my bottom on the couch with a cup of coffee and these Mexican Hot Chocolate Sugar Cookies. Wanna join me? Ahhh yes, let’s netflix it up and take a holiday break right now. Mmmm k?
In all honesty, the first world problems just have to do with life moving to fast and I can’t keep up. Good problems. Change of plan problems. Dilemmas. Finding my sanity. You know, so I don’t drive my husband bonkers during the “most wonderful time of the year.” Haha! I know you get this.
Come on, it’s all about perspective though, right? That being said, I am taking a whole new perspective. SHIFTING. We’re gonna make due with what we got and not stress about the rest. Which leads me back to cookies. I’m sharing yet another paleo and vegan friendly Holiday/Christmas Dessert recipe this week. And you’ll be getting a boozy recipe on Friday.
Anyway, new perspective = it’s cake and cookies for breakfast all week! YES! You think I lie, but it’s true. And I’m okay with that. I don’t have much time to cook non holiday food. Unless it’s goat cheese salad. Warm salad. Yes, our RESET meal which will be MUCH needed after this week.
You see, we leave for Utah on Thursday. We have one day to find a place to live. No big deal. Oh and it’s 11 degrees there. WHAT!!!?? And I thought 45F was cold.
But like I said, I’m shifting perspective. Instead of thinking of the cold and the stress of finding a house. I’m going to practice staying warm, cozy, and cheerful. Mexican hot chocolate sugar cookies will do the trick. Don’t worry ya’ll, I tested this recipe 3 times in order to find the most DELISH paleo and vegan version. Now you know why I’ve have been enjoying cookies for breakfast. So many in the house! Haha. Check my IG or snapchat stories.
What makes these Mexican hot chocolate sugar cookies so amazing? It’s all in the ingredients!
Mexican Hot Chocolate Sugar Cookies Ingredients
Oh yes, let me tell you. First, I mixed together my own Mexican Hot chocolate blend. This is what you’re going to use in place of the “sugar” part per se. All ya do is grab some non dairy dark chocolate hot cocoa mix (I used Ghirardelli or you can use Dagoboa Drinking Chocolate), add in some cinnamon, coconut sugar (just a touch), and chili powder for the Mexican flare. Maybe a dash of nutmeg if you are feeling festive.
Then I blended that Mexican Hot Chocolate with AVOCADO. Avocado is replacing the butter in these cookies. Um… Holy goodness that avocado makes for an amazing butter replacement. Another dairy free/vegan butter hack for ya! Plus avocado adds in more healthy fats and Vitamin K. Vitamins (Antioxidants) in cookies sure are bonus this month. I’ll take it!
Now combine that smooth avocado with more dark chocolate and….
Wait for it……
A creamy Mexican hot chocolate “butter” replacement. Oh, that same filling can make a great topping too, just sayin..
Next add your almond flour, coconut flour, and more dark chocolate. Chia egg or real egg both work to make this a vegan and/or paleo sugar cookie. Hey, I may have lost my sanity but my baking skills are still intact. Thank GOD!
Friends, I could go on and on about Mexican hot chocolate sugar cookies and how they have saved me this week. And you need the recipe!
How to make MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES (1 Minute Video)Print
Mexican Hot Chocolate Sugar cookies – This easy chocolate sugar cookies recipe has no butter! Gluten free, Paleo and Vegan friendly Christmas cookie recipe.
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup sifted coconut flour (just extra fine so it doesn’t clump)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or cayenne
- 3/4 cup dairy free hot cocoa mix ([url] Ghiradelli ∞http://amzn.to/2h4sIAs[/url] Hot Chocolate) or [url] Dagoba Drinking Chocolate ∞http://amzn.to/2h3tVWl[/url] *If you don’t have hot chocolate use this *—> 2/3 c coconut sugar and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 small avocado (1/4 to 1/3 cup mashed)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg (if paleo) or chia egg (if vegan) (see notes for chia egg instructions) ground chia egg is 1 tbsp with 3 tbsp water sit for 10 minutes)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (not melted)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup dark chocolate shavings
- Additional cinnamon/sugar for topping and melted dark chocolate.
- First mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Beat or whisk until flour is smooth.
- . In a another bowl, or a stand mixer, beat together the coconut oil and hot chocolate/sugar. Mix until creamy.
- Once mixed, add in your ripe avocado and vanilla extract, beat again on medium.
- Add your egg or chia egg if vegan (see notes for chia egg), then beat on low. Stir gently and mix until batter is consistent.
- Now lightly beat or stir in the dry mix/flour.
- Fold in your dark chocolate shavings.
- Form matter into a ball and cover. Place in fridge for 1-2 hrs.
- . Once batter is more solid, remove and place on parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F
- Roll out dough on parchment paper. Use a rolling pin with plastic between dough and pin or cover the rolling pin in GF flour.
- 1 Once dough is flat, use cookie cutters or canning jar lids to make circles or stars. You can also use roll dough in balls and press with your hands flat. Your choice. Place 4″ apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place on baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle each with cinnamon sugar.
- . Bake for 15-18 minutes. Check at 15 minutes if you are making the vegan version. They will be soft when removed from oven but then harden a bit when cooled.
- . Optional Top with chocolate coconut frosting or my vegan magic shell after baked. Let it harden.
- Make 16-18 small cookies or 10 larger.
- For the chia egg, first grind up a few tablespoons of chia. I use my coffee grinder. Place 1 tbsp ground chia with 3 tbsp water and let it sit for 10 minutes until gel is formed.
- Category: snack, dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 144
- Sodium: 137mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
Keywords: Mexican hot chocolate, chocolate sugar cookies, gluten free, paleo, vegan
In fact, I used them to bribe my parents to help us move. It worked. They loved them!
But the real FACT of the matter is the whole perspective thing. The world doesn’t need another “OMG I’m too busy for you” mentality. Nope, we need to take time to use our gifts to give back. We need to love one another. We need to share good things.
I’m so guilty of this. Which is why I stopped to bake more Christmas cookie recipes this week. Truly, a joy to do! I love being able to share with my gluten free friends, my vegan friends, my paleo friends, my friends who just love cookies, and of course, my sweet loving husband.
Time to whip of batch of these Mexican hot chocolate sugar cookies. Share or join me for an Christmas Movie Netflix night.
Stay thirsty my friends… for Mexican Hot chocolate (See what I did there?)
Yup… ending on a corny Cotter moment.