easy no bake holiday dessert! This quick festive dessert made with gluten free ingredients. Non alcoholic version too!
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free graham crackers (crushed) or gluten free cookie crumbs
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa or hot cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Spiced Rum (see notes for non alcoholic rum extract substitute)
- 1 tsp vanilla vanilla
- 3–4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract or oil
- 4 to 5 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1–2 ounces Melted dark chocolate to drizzle
- dye free sprinkles, sparkling cane sugar, and/or crushed peppermint candies for topping
- First, mash or grind gluten free graham crackers into crumbs. It doesn’t need to be very fine, just crushed by hand or in a food processor. Place crumbs in a large bowl.
- Add the almond meal, coconut, and cocoa powder. Mix together.
- Next add your rum, maple syrup (start off with 3 tbsp and add an additional if batter is too dry), extracts, and peppermint.
- Mix together again. Place bowl/batter in fridge.Chill batter 30 minutes or long.
- Once batter has chilled, roll into truffle size balls. A little smaller than golf ball size. You should get anywhere between 17-20 ball. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Melt your white chocolate in on the stove or in a microwave safe bowl. If you are using microwave, simple melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring between.
- Once the white chocolate is melted, dip the coconut rum balls in the white chocolate and place back on cookie sheet. Repeat until all the balls are coating.
- Sprinkle crushed peppermint or red sprinkles on top before they set.
- Place in freezer for about 10 minutes.
- While the rum balls are setting, melted your dark chocolate. Similar to the white chocolate, simply melt on stove or microwave, stirring until melted.
- Remove the rum balls from the freezer and drizzle the dark chocolate on top. I did this with a small whisk or fork.
- Sprinkle sparkling cane sugar or more sprinkles on top if desired.
- Place back in freezer or fridge until chocolate has harden. Store in fridge until ready to serve.
If you want to make a non alcoholic version, take out the 1/4 cup rum and use 2 tbsp of almond or coconut milk. Then add in 1 tsp rum extract.
Estimated nutrition per bite varies depending on chocolate coating used:
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 112
- Sugar: 8.6g
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: rum balls, gluten free, healthy holiday desserts, no bake