This lemon lime coconut vegan cake is gluten free, easy to make, and topped with fluffy whipped coconut cream frosting. A citrus flavored frosted vegan cake that’s perfect for Any season. So simple to make! All you need are a few ingredients to bake this cake in under 45 minutes.
PRAISE THE LORD it kinda feels like Spring! And yes, that means we breeze on into the week feeling light and zesty. Right? Light and refreshed as this coconut lemon lime vegan cake… errr or something like that. Mmm k?
But in all seriousness ya’ll, this last week has been cloudy with a chance of meatballs and I’m certain that we all deserve a day a tropical vacation. Well, I can’t offer a tropical vacation, but I can channel my inner hula girl and serve us up a slice piece of this vegan cake. You know I used to live in Hawaii, yes? That’s a story for another day. Unless you want to search the Cotter Crunch archives, gasp!
But I digress… where was I? Hmmm… tropical warm thoughts and a slice of cake.
Are you ready to feel light, refreshed, and bake up this goodness? It’s kinda sorta perfect for Easter ( I may be bias).
First, we gotta make the icing. It’s similar whipped frosting to this classic paleo/vegan cake recipe, but with citrus and coconut flavors. If we are lucky and have a little leftover we can put in our coffee.
It really is so simple and all you need it a can COLD coconut cream. Extra sweetener if you’d like. Then Whip it, whip good!
See what I did there. Haha!
Next comes this SUPER EASY 3 step approach to making this vegan cake. I’m really into 3 step recipes these days, can’t you tell? We’re all busy, we need simplicity. I get it.
Moving on. Cake… the ingredients.
Gluten Free Flour Mix. I used Bob’s Red Mill’s Gluten Free 1:1 Ratio because it ROCKS! Then we just need a little lemon, a little lime, coconut, agave nectar (or maple syrup), melted coconut oil, and baking soda.
The key to making this vegan cake so AMAZING is in fact that Lemon Lime combo.
Yep, that’s the whole trick to making it FLUFFY without an egg. An acid-base reaction WONDERS y’all! In luckily, for us, lemon lime is the best naturally acidic ingredient you can use. The science/nutrition geek in me just has way too much fun making it. Really! My mission is to not only create a super simple, healthy, gluten free vegan cake, but also to make it FUN!
I highly recommend adding edible flowers and fresh citrus fruit (FOR FUN) when you decorate. It totally makes you feel like a cake wars champion. Just sayin…
Alright friends, I think I’m one too many tangents past my limit for a Monday. Let’s get to the real focus. THE RECIPE!Print
A citrus flavored gluten free vegan cake that’s perfect for Any season. So simple to make! All you need are a few ingredients to bake this cake in under 45 minutes.
For the CAKE:
- 1 2/3 cup gluten free multipurpose flour mix, preferably a 1:1 flour mix. (I used Bob Redmills 1:1). See notes for other options
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup xylitol baking sugar (for less sugar content) or cane sugar works too
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 to 1 tsp lemon extract (depends on how strong you want it)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
For the frosting:
- 1 can coconut cream (cream NOT milk)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
- optional sweetness powdered sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tbsp lime zest
- SPECIAL NOTE – > Before you bake the cake and if you are making coconut frosting with this, first place 2-3 cans of coconut cream in back of fridge for 24 hrs. You only need one, but I place 3 just in case one doesn’t harden.
- preheat oven to 350. Grease a cake pan or 8×8 baking dish.
- Mix all your dry ingredients together in a bowl (the baking soda, flour, sugar, salt).
- In another bowl, mix your water, agave nectar, coconut oil, lime juice, and extracts.
- Combine your wet to your dry ingredients and SLOWLY mix. Fold in your shredded coconut. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Gently Pour this in your greased pan
- Bake 350F for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Some baking mixes and ovens might take closer to 50+ minutes. Check progress at 35 minutes by inserting toothpick or knife in center until in comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool.
- Make sure your coconut cream can (10oz) is chilled 24 hrs and you have coconut cream not milk.
- Once chilled pour the hardened cream mixture into a bowl.
- Add your sugar and vanilla beat until fluffy and smooth. Mix in your coconut last.
- Keep cool until ready to frost your cake.
- Frost your cooled cake and add lime zest on top if desired.
- nutrition shown for recipe made with xylitol versus cane sugar.
- See this recipe for Paleo option.
- If you don’t have a gluten free flour mix, try using a boxed gluten free cake mix and reduce the sugar in the recipe by half. This has worked well before but not all cake mix is made the same. I would advise to test one first. Reduce cooking time if needed. 35-45 minutes.
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 7.4g
- Sodium: 219.5mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 17.6g
- Carbohydrates: 40.8g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan cake, coconut cake, spring desserts, gluten free desserts, coconut cream frosting
I really have no other words except the fact that you need this in your life. And it will take all of 45 minutes or less to make. Yes, for a gluten free vegan cake.
Not only is this citrus coconut vegan cake light and gluten free, but it also has a lower sugar and nut free (in honor of allergy awareness week). See, that just means you can have your cake and eat it (a slice) too!
Don’t worry, I saved you a piece. I know, I am to please.
Cheers to the weekend! I’m hoping to remake this for Easter! Will you join me? Tag me in IG stories or leave a comment if you do. I’m kinda a dork like that. #Cottercakes
What’s your favorite springtime or summer cake? Coconut for me, hands down!
Anyone else have a favorite vegan cake recipe. I always need more. Share.. Pretty please.