A citrus flavored gluten free vegan cake that’s perfect for Any season. So simple to make! All you need are a few ingredients to bake this cake in under 45 minutes.
For the CAKE:
- 1 2/3 cup gluten free multipurpose flour mix, preferably a 1:1 flour mix. (I used Bob Redmills 1:1). See notes for other options
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup xylitol baking sugar (for less sugar content) or cane sugar works too
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 to 1 tsp lemon extract (depends on how strong you want it)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
For the frosting:
- 1 can coconut cream (cream NOT milk)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
- optional sweetness powdered sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tbsp lime zest
- SPECIAL NOTE – > Before you bake the cake and if you are making coconut frosting with this, first place 2-3 cans of coconut cream in back of fridge for 24 hrs. You only need one, but I place 3 just in case one doesn’t harden.
- preheat oven to 350. Grease a cake pan or 8×8 baking dish.
- Mix all your dry ingredients together in a bowl (the baking soda, flour, sugar, salt).
- In another bowl, mix your water, agave nectar, coconut oil, lime juice, and extracts.
- Combine your wet to your dry ingredients and SLOWLY mix. Fold in your shredded coconut. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Gently Pour this in your greased pan
- Bake 350F for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Some baking mixes and ovens might take closer to 50+ minutes. Check progress at 35 minutes by inserting toothpick or knife in center until in comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool.
- Make sure your coconut cream can (10oz) is chilled 24 hrs and you have coconut cream not milk.
- Once chilled pour the hardened cream mixture into a bowl.
- Add your sugar and vanilla beat until fluffy and smooth. Mix in your coconut last.
- Keep cool until ready to frost your cake.
- Frost your cooled cake and add lime zest on top if desired.
- nutrition shown for recipe made with xylitol versus cane sugar.
- See this recipe for Paleo option.
- If you don’t have a gluten free flour mix, try using a boxed gluten free cake mix and reduce the sugar in the recipe by half. This has worked well before but not all cake mix is made the same. I would advise to test one first. Reduce cooking time if needed. 35-45 minutes.
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 7.4g
- Sodium: 219.5mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 17.6g
- Carbohydrates: 40.8g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan cake, coconut cake, spring desserts, gluten free desserts, coconut cream frosting