Simple and Healthy Homemade Fruit Roll Ups! These homemade fruit roll ups make an awesome healthy snack for kids and adults. Made with real fruit and no additives! These fruit roll ups are easy to make in the oven or dehydrator with just 3 steps.
How to Make Homemade Fruit Roll Ups in the Oven or Dehydrator
Remember how I promised more allergy friendly snacks and vegetarian meals? Well, add this to the list! Today I have an easy peasy homemade fruit roll up recipe made with real fruit and just a few REAL ingredients. Oh and real EASY to make in the oven or dehydrator. I PROMISE!
I’m beginning to feel the urge to create more DIY homemade recipes these days. And the truth is, I like making things from scratch, just as long as they are simple.
Okay so about these homemade Fruit Rolls up. They are PERFECT for just about anyone! What I mean by that is that they are ALL fruit based and loaded with Vitamin C. All you need is a blender and a dehydrator or sheet pan and an oven.
Who can resist that?
The only problem with this homemade snack is that they disappear within in a day. Yep,my husband eats them way too fast. He is a fruit roll up addict. Actually he’s a homemade dried fruit snack addict. Like most kids are, except he’s 37 going on 10. I joking.. kinda.
These homemade Fruit Roll ups are PERFECT for…
- Portable snacks/workout fuel.
- Kid friendly lunch boxes and snacks.
- Satisfying sugar cravings (in a whole food based way).
- Saving money and buying less processed packaged foods.
- Using up extra ripe or ready to eat fruit and/or veggies.
- Boosting your vitamin C and fiber intake (which we all need).
See, PERFECT. My only regret is not making these more often, especially when my husband was a professional athlete. Oh the good old days of intense Ironman training. He used to shove just about anything and everything in his back pocket on long rides for fuel. He needed all those calories. These homemade fruit roll ups make great fuel for just that; refueling during long runs, bike rides, etc. because they don’t melt and they are easy to digest. Nothing artificial!! Just a roll of fruity goodness.
I know what you are thinking. “But um.. Lindsay. I don’t have a dehydrator.” Yes, I know. Not everyone does. But they are so worth it! I’ll get into that in another post.
Let’s talk about how you can make these homemade fruit rolls up without a dehydrator.
Yep, you can! Although it takes little more effort because you will need to use your oven at the lowest setting for about 4-7 hrs.
- First blend you fruit and add sweetener of choice, such as honey or maple syrup. Pour the batter on a baking tray lined with plastic or use a silicon mat (recommended way). Do not use foil as it will stick.
- Next place the tray in the oven at lowest temperature. I propped my oven open with a tiny stick, about 2-3 inches. Then let the fruit mix dehydrate for 4-7 hours, depending on the temperature. I was able to dry out the fruit in 4 hours at 170F.
- Once the batter is dry, peel it off the mat and place on parchment paper. Cut and roll into strips! VOILA! That easy!
I hope you now believe me when I say making homemade fruit roll ups are so NOT HARD! Now go blend up some fresh fruit (or even veggies) and let’s make some.
What fruit would you put in your homemade fruit roll ups?
Shock factor -> You can add tequila to blended strawberries and make strawberry margarita homemade fruit roll ups. WHOA.. MIND BLOWING! Although I don’t recommend using boozy fruit roll ups for pre workout fuel. LOL!
The dehydrator I use is very affordable and economical! I bought it on Amazon HERE.
MORE EASY HOMEMADE SNACK RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our 10 Easy Homemade Snacks collection. Check it out!