This vegan kale soup has healthy curried vegetables and cauliflower rice, and it tastes delicious! Make this nourishing Whole30 soup recipe to keep you warm this season. Gluten free, dairy free, keto, and paleo, too.
- 5–6 cups of cauliflower florets (or 3–4 cups cauliflower rice). See notes.
- 2– 3 tbsp curry powder or curry seasoning (turmeric is usually included in curry seasoning/powder)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 8 kale leaves, chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk (the drinking kind works best and is smoother).
- 1/2 tsp red pepper or chili flakes (use less for a milder flavor)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, toss cauliflower florets with curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and 3 tbsp oil.
- Spread the cauliflower florets on a baking dish or roasting pan. Place in oven and roast for 20 -22 minutes, until tender but slightly under cooked. Remove and set aside to cool.
- While the cauliflower is cooling, chop the remaining vegetables on a cutting board.
- Next, place cauliflower florets in a Food Processor or blender and pulse a few times until the cauliflower resembles grains of rice. See picture in post.
- Once all the cauliflower is riced and kale/veggies are chopped, prepare your cooking pot.
- Place onion, 2 tsp oil, and minced garlic in large stock pot. Saute for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Next, add in broth, milk, veggies, cauliflower rice, red chili pepper and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 20 minutes or so, until veggies are cooked.
- Taste for seasoning and add dash of sea salt before serving, if desired.
Notes on making cauliflower rice -> If you don’t have a food processor, use a sharp chef’s knife to finely chop the cauliflower. You can also buy riced cauliflower and roast it. Be sure not to over process the cauliflower when cooked. You don’t want to make a puree. Just lightly chop.
Feel free to use other veggies besides kale and carrots. All work great.
I found that almond milk works great in this recipe. Keeps it light and smooth. Cashew and coconut milk work as well.
If you are not paleo or vegan, you can add other toppings such as crackers, nuts, cheese, etc. You can also add in cooked chicken or meat.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: Indian American Fusion
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 250mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: curried vegetables, vegan kale soup, Whole30 soup, dairy free, low carb, gluten free