This vegan kale soup has healthy curried vegetables and cauliflower rice, and it tastes delicious! Make this nourishing Whole30 soup recipe to keep you warm this season. Gluten free, dairy free, keto, and paleo, too.
- 5 to 6 cups of cauliflower florets or 3 to 4 cups (600 grams) cauliflower rice (see notes)
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons curry powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 Tablespoons light olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion or 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 kale leaves, ribs removed and chopped, or baby spinach (about 3 to 4 cups, pressed down)
- 2 large carrots or 1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned coconut milk or coconut milk lite – *Non dairy milk may be substituted but will not yield same creamy flavor.
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, toss cauliflower florets with curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and 1 to 2 Tablespoons oil.
- Spread the cauliflower florets on a baking dish or roasting pan. Place in the oven and roast for 20 to 22 minutes, or until tender but slightly undercooked. Remove and set aside to cool.
- While the cauliflower is cooling, chop the onion, kale, and carrots.
- (Skip this step if using cauliflower rice.) Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse a few times until the cauliflower resembles grains of rice.
- In a large pot, add the onion, 1 Tablespoon oil, and minced garlic and saute for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in the broth, milk, carrots, kale, cauliflower rice, red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 20 minutes or until veggies are cooked and carrots are softened.
- Taste for seasoning and add a dash of sea salt before serving, if desired.
- Store soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Substitutes – Frozen cauliflower rice can be substituted for fresh cauliflower. Cook the cauliflower rice according to the packaging in the microwave. Once cooked, gently squeeze the bag and allow the water to drain. In a small bowl, toss cauliflower with curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and 1 to 2 Tablespoons oil. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400F for 15 minutes. Then add to the soup.
Cooking Notes – When preparing the cauliflower rice without a food processor, use a sharp chef’s knife to finely dice the cauliflower. Be sure not to over process the cauliflower as you don’t want to make a puree. Just lightly chop or pulse in the food processor until a rice-like texture.
Storage – Once cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian American Fusion
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 702.2 mg
- Fat: 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.3 g
- Fiber: 6.7 g
- Protein: 4.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: curried vegetables, vegan kale soup, Whole30 soup, dairy free, low carb, gluten free