These cake bites start with a gluten free cake mix that’s doctored up with cinnamon and coconut sugar. As a result, the recipe requires little effort and uses simple ingredients. They’re a perfectly delicious bite-sized dessert!
A blend of Coconut oil, gluten free vanilla cake mix, melted peanut butter, coconut sugar, and gluten free cinnamon grahams. White chocolate drizzle optional, but also a total game changer!
Cake Bites Ingredients
Coconut Sugar Cinnamon Cake Bites require little effort to make, and just a few simple ingredients.
- Coconut oil
- gluten free vanilla cake mix
- melted peanut butter
- coconut sugar or monkfruit sugar
- gluten free cinnamon grahams
Oh and I added in melted white chocolate and coconut whipped cream. You know, for a cake parfait trifle of sorts. The fancy “trifle” cup staring you straight in the face right above. It’s a bonus, because don’t we love bonuses? YESSSS!
But before I dive deeper into the refined sugar free cake bites recipe, I have to ask…
Did you notice anything different these past two weeks? Recipe-wise? Let me fill you in.
Anyway, we will be posting a recipe of the challenge soon, but in the meantime, grab a bite (or 2) and let’s enjoy life’s simple pleasures. AKA, mini desserts.
These Cinnamon Coconut Refined Sugar Free Cake Bites are quick to make for parties, family gatherings, and gifting to neighbors! Oh, and they’re vegan friendly. Handy dandy, I know.
Think of them as a healthy version of fair food. Part churro, part fritter, part blue ribbon white cake. You’re drooling now, right? For the record, I’m now OKAY with healthier fair food (just gluten free, of course).
Convenience in Gluten Free Cake Mix
The “cake” base of refined sugar free cake bites is made with my vegan coconut cake recipe , minus the citrus and shredded coconut. And of course, there are a few yummy add-ins, since gluten free recipes and no bake bites are my specialty!
We’ve added in melted peanut butter to hold the crumbled cake all together. I might have swirled in some white chocolate as well. A pretty tasty way to bind ingredients, not to toot my own horn!
Then after we form the batter into balls/bites, we roll each bite in crushed gluten free cinnamon graham crackers and drizzle a little white chocolate on top. Gah, these are soooo good!!
Literally OUT OF THIS WORLD! Or if you fancy, add them to a trifle dish with a few dollops of coconut whipped cream.
How to make refined sugar free cake bites
Making the cake bites is SO simple; it takes 3 EASY STEPS.
- FIRST make the gluten free vanilla cake (with vegan option) making sure to NOT to over bake it. The key is to slightly UNDER BAKE the cake so it isn’t dried out, making it easier for rolling.
- Once the cake is cool, add the peanut butter and roll the mixture into balls/bites, roll in graham cracker crumbs and freeze for 20 minutes.
- AFTER they set, drizzle with melted white chocolate.
That’s it! And if you’re curious, I suggest using Ghirardelli or Green and Black Organic White Chocolate! You just can’t beat either. Plus both contain natural ingredients.
BONUS! Lots of healthy fats from the coconut oil and peanut butter, and protein to keep you full! Just had to sneak that in! Okay, find someone to spoil and go make them refined sugar free cake bites, mmm K?
These refined sugar free cake bites are super easy to make by doctoring up a gluten free cake mix. We use cinnamon and coconut sugar for a warm, sweet taste. There’s a vegan option, too.
- Gluten free cake mix one box (with or without eggs if desired). See notes for how to make the cake without eggs. (Without eggs you will need and 2 tsp vanilla, additional 2 tsp vinegar, and oil)
- 1–2 tbsp cinnamon.
- 2oz white chocolate (vegan option)
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- Pinch of cocoa powder (2 tsp)
- 2– 3 tablespoons + melted butter or coconut oil
- 185 grams/6 ounces of gluten free cinnamon graham crackers (1.5–2 cups crushed)
- Pinch of sea salt and cinnamon
- Coconut sugar to coat
- Optional powdered sugar (sugar free option)
- Optional additional melted white chocolate to drizzle
- For trifle option, layer with my coconut whip frosting
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake gluten free cake according to instructions with 1 + tbsp extra cinnamon added to cake mix. BAKING NOTE– pull the cake out of the oven a little early so the batter is softer, for mixing. See notes for eggless option.
- Once cake is baked, set aside to cool. Then place cake in a bowl and tear into pieces, creating a crumbling batter. Set aside.
- In a small bowl in a small bowl combine white chocolate and peanut butter. Melt in microwave in 30 set increments until mixture is melted and can be combined smoothly.
- If the white chocolate and peanut butter is too thick to melt, add 1 tsp coconut oil, stir, and heat again until smooth. This also can be melted on the stove.
- Pour the white chocolate peanut butter mix over the crumbled cinnamon cake and mix together with spoon or hands if needed. The batter should then be ready to mix and roll into balls/bites.
- Roll mixture into balls. About the size of a golf size ball (or smaller) . Place on cookie sheet and place in freezer to set.
- While the cake bites or chilling, make your cinnamon sugar graham cracker crust coating. Grind your graham crackers in a food processor or crush in ziplock bag. Place crumbs in large bowl. Add a 1/2 tbsp more cinnamon and/or coconut sugar.
- Next, in a small bowl, melt the coconut oil butter.
- After the cake bites have cooled, take them out of the fridge/freezer and roll each bite in butter/coconut oil then the crushed cinnamon graham crackers.
- Place the cakes bites back on cookie sheet. Repeat coating process for all cake bites. Then place in the fridge or freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove and drizzle with extra melted white chocolate, powdered sugar, and serve or store for later. Store in airtight container. Best kept in fridge or freezer for up to 10 -14 days.
- For trifle with cinnamon cake bites, layer in a jar or glass with coconut whip! YUM!
For vegan cake option
Follow instructions for my gluten free vegan cake option, minus the coconut and lemon. Add cinnamon instead. You can still use the boxed cake mix, but instead of eggs, try using 2 tsp vinegar, and bake for at least 30 minutes in an 8×8 or 9×13 greased pan. Remember you will use the cake partially under cooked, so it’s okay if it doesn’t rise much.
- Category: snack
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cinnamon cake bites
What’s your favorite fair food? Don’t answer that. It might cause extreme cravings.
Have you tried making your own refined sugar free cake bites before?