Blueberry Carrot Cake Bars are a healthy breakfast bar recipe made in less than 35 minutes! Fresh blueberry, granola, carrot, and spices! Made with gluten free ingredients, natural sugars, and a little extra protein boost.
Is there such thing as summer baking? If so, these Breakfast Blueberry Carrot Cake Bars are it! Lighter baking but with that comfort taste and smell.
But I guess I should back up and tell you how these bars came to “fruition” anyway. Haha get it, Fruition. Punny on Monday ya’ll. Okay okay, I’ll get serious.
These bars are kind of like our cookies and milk after a hard day at school. You know, the kind your mom used to make when you needed a little comfort and cozy snack time?
Ya, cozy snacks. Comfort snacks. Gahh…. we’ve needed ALL the cozy comfort this past month. The ups and downs of job and life transitions definitely took a toll on us, more emotionally than anything. When that happens, I tend to bake. But not just baking for baking sake, I tend to bake so that the house is filled with a smell that calms us or makes us feel loved and happy. Oh gosh, am I corny or what? But really ya’ll, it’s the truth and it’s so needed at times, ya know?
So there I was, with the urge to COMFORT bake in the middle of June. It’s hot, and pumpkin was far from my mind and not in my pantry. That was until I remembered baking these pumpkin bars back in November. I remember how much the kiwi and I both LOVED the texture and the flavor of the white chocolate/berry combo. Oh and how our house smelled AH-MAZING! Those were “healthified” and easy to make, I could easily make a summer flavor version, right?
And so I did.
And since our mornings seem to be more rushed these days, I went ahead and gave them a “breakfast” theme by adding gluten free fruit and nut granola.
Yep, breakfast meets comfort meets summer berries meets CAKE –> Carrot Cake! Can you just smell that aroma from here? If you can’t, come over and I will make you some, mmm k?
Okay, about this carrot cake part. These bars are cakey in texture, can you see it? Instead of using pumpkin I used vanilla greek yogurt to make them moist (cringing at that word, AH!). But I will have to give FULL credit to the to the new FlapJacked Carrot Spice Mix for this awesome cake flavor. It’s UNREAL! And I hope you get to try it ASAP. But if you don’t have it quite yet, I’ll give you an option B for the recipe.
Recipe, yes –> let’s get on to the carrot cake bars recipe!Print
Breakfast Blueberry Carrot Cake Bars (Gluten Free)
- 11/2 cups Gluten free multipurpose flour
- 1/2 cup Vanilla protein powder
- 1/3 cup almond meal/coconut flour
- 1/3 cup vanilla greek yogurt or dairy free yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup gluten free fruit/nut granola
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- dash of salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (softened, liquid)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup baking stevia, coconut sugar, or honey for extra sweetness (OPtional but recommended if you don’t have a sweet protein powder)
- Combine your flours and dry ingredients first.
- Then mix in your yogurt, milk, coconut oil, and egg together until smooth.
- Add your wet ingredients to the dry and stir in berries, granola, and carrots, and extracts and stir until batter is even.
- It will still be lumpy due to fruit/carrot and granola though.
- Then pour into 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish (greased) and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown on top and center is baked through.
If you can’t do eggs, feel free to take it out. It will work without, just not as fluffy.
Estimated Nutrition Using Plain GF Granola and GF Multipurpose Flour
210 -225 Calories per bar. 10 grams protein. 28 Carbs. 5-8 sugars. 4 grams fiber. 5-7 grams of fat.
I’ve made these twice already, some squares were cut perfectly, others were not.
I’m not a perfect slicer, but at least now we’re feeling cozy and full of comfort. Was the magic in the baking? Haha, maybe a little bit. But honestly, I think the act of doing something good, kind, and nourishing for one another helps the most.
Now it’s your turn to make the carrot cake bars!
So cheers to starting off the week, the summer, and this meatless Mexican Monday with a little corny Cotter comfort.
Whatcha baking up during warmer months?