Wok-fired Orange Garlic Shrimp stir fry recipe! It’s full of fresh, snappy Asian flavors and made all in one pan! Shrimp, bell peppers, and snap peas are coated in a delicious spicy honey orange sauce. Gluten free and can be adapted for a paleo version.
For the Orange Sauce
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 ½ tsp orange zest
- 1/3 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) or Coconut Aminos for Paleo version
- 2–3 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice or rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes, optional
- 2 tsp arrowroot (original recipe uses cornstarch if desired)
Shrimp Stir Fry:
- 1 lb large shrimp, 16/20 count size, peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or avocado oil (original recipe uses vegetable oil)
- ¾ cup chopped red bell peppers, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 ¼ cups stringless sugar snap peas
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp sliced green onions
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, packed
- To make the sauce, whisk together the orange juice, orange zest, chicken stock, tamari sauce, honey, lemon juice, red chili flakes (if using) and starch in a medium-size bowl. Set the sauce aside.
- Prepare the shrimp by patting it dry between two paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. In a medium-size bowl, combine the shrimp, salt, pepper and sesame oil.
- Cooking the shrimp and vegetables in a single layer and at separate times allows for maximum browning. Heat a wok or 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add the oil and heat until just beginning to smoke. Add the shrimp to the pan in a single layer and cook for 1 minute. Flip the shrimp over and cook until pink, about 1 minute. Transfer the cooked shrimp to a clean plate.
- Add the bell peppers and sugar snap peas to the wok in a single layer and allow to cook for 1 minute without moving. Stir the vegetables and cook until lightly browned and crisp, about 30 seconds. Add the garlic and ginger to the pan, and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk the orange sauce and then gradually add it to the side of the pan, stirring the sauce continuously as it gathers in the bottom of the pan. Allow the sauce to boil for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously, until the sauce is thickened. Add the shrimp to the pan and allow to warm, 1 minute. Season the shrimp and vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the shrimp garnished with green onions, sesame seeds and cilantro
Adapted with permission from Easy Culinary Science for Better Cooking.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: main
- Method: stir fry
- Cuisine: asian
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 13.8
- Sodium: 650 mg
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.6 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 182 mg
Keywords: asian, shrimp, one pan, healthy, stir fry, dairy free