Skip overpriced store-bought options, and make this easy Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce Recipe instead. Made with just a handful of ingredients, it’s low in sugar, free from additives, quick to make, and pairs well with all your favorite recipes!
A Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce Recipe So Good You’ll Never Go Back to Store Bought Again!
Love teriyaki but struggle to find a premade option that isn’t loaded with sugar, gluten, and other undesirable ingredients? We do, too! So, we made our own homemade gluten-free teriyaki sauce instead.
Sweet and tangy, it’s everything you could want in a homemade teriyaki sauce recipe, and more!
For instance, this healthy teriyaki sauce is:
- Sweet, savory, and tangy.
- Made with less than ten simple ingredients.
- Great to make in bulk and keep on hand.
- Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and refined sugar-free-friendly.
Origins of Teriyaki Sauce
Contrary to popular belief, teriyaki sauce wasn’t actually made in Japan! Instead, it was invented by Japanese immigrants in Hawaii who created a brand new marinade, blending traditional Japanese flavors and local Hawaiian products like pineapple juice.
The sauce began to gain popularity in the United States in the 1960s thanks to an explosion of emerging Japanese restaurants. Today, it remains popular in restaurants, grocery stores, and home kitchens and can be found throughout the world!
Ingredients and Substitutions
This gluten free teriyaki sauce recipe comes together with just a handful of pantry staples, most of which you probably already have on hand!
- Tapioca Starch – Combined with water, this forms a slurry that helps thicken the sauce.
- Gluten-Free Soy Sauce (Tamari) – Feel free to use coconut aminos, if preferred.
- Coconut Palm Sugar – Swap with honey for a refined sugar-free recipe. Feel free to adjust the amount included to suit your desired sweetness.
- Rice Wine Vinegar – This adds depth and a tangy taste. Apple cider vinegar can also be used.
- Grated Fresh Ginger – Feel free to substitute ½ teaspoon ground ginger.
- Minced Garlic – Whole fresh garlic cloves taste best. We don’t recommend swapping out garlic powder.
- Red Pepper Flakes – Include as little or as much as you like for a bit of extra heat!
How to Make a Healthy Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
This recipe comes together with minimal prep time and a total time of just a few minutes!
- Create the Slurry. Whisk the water and tapioca starch together in a small bowl, and set it aside to thicken.
- Boil the Sauce. Whisk the tamari, water, coconut sugar, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes together in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a light boil, stirring constantly.
- Combine the Ingredients. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the slurry. Gently stir to combine, and continue to cook until the sauce begins to thicken.
Ways to Use Teriyaki Sauce
This homemade teriyaki sauce recipe works well as a sauce, marinade, or glaze! Use it to add savory flavor to protein and vegetables. Or, add it to gluten-free teriyaki chicken casserole, cauliflower fried rice, stir-fries, and bowls!
How to Store
Once combined and thickened, transfer the sauce to an airtight container or a jar with a lid, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Just be sure to give it a good shake or stir before using it!
We do not recommend freezing this recipe.
More of Our Favorite